Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Anticlimax concerns

After the buzz of playing that lot DOWN the road, (and the euphoria of the Leeds game, hot on the heels of the Sheff U game as well as the test against WBA away with a win over rapidly improving B'ham thrown in the middle of that lot), it will require the highest powers of motivation in Farke's armoury to eliminate any anticlimactic tendencies for our next 2 opponents.

The concern is that there might be a tendency to "relax" for the next 2 games as, with all due respects to them, Preston and Bolton are hardly the most glamorous opponents - not after the roller coaster ride we have had from the last 10 league games (all of whom have either been in the top half or play off positions).

Hope I'm wrong and hope that Farke's motivational skills can soothe this furrowed brow. 🙏😟

I think you're underestimating the back room  staff, no way will Farke and his Team allow any 'cruising ' they're in a great position and there's so much at stake.  If you were concerned about anything, it would be the injury to Vrancic and the rest time between games. 

I doubt the derby was prepared for any differently, and I would imagine (given the manager’s attitude and calmness) that the players were no more “up for it” than they would have been for a mid week game at Preston or anywhere else. It was a professional performance; we didn’t need to play on the emotion, we turned up got the job done and move on to the next one.

No concerns from me about player motivation - player fatigue possibly (especially as Ipswich were kicking bits out of us most of the game) but I don’t think motivation  or players not being fully focussed will be an issue.

Farke seems to be one step ahead and will have already appraised Preston I would imagine. He will know that their form (last 6 games for example) is second in the table ( jointly with us) and they make for a dangerous opponent. Expect him to say something like this today.

But you're right ABC, you'd think we have come out of a 'phase' of games. And we have. Now, we have some intriguing games where we could create some headroom. Just need to keep doing our stuff.

If I could give you some reassuring words, wouldn't we do what we've been doing for the last 4 months over the next 15 games? Where are the real weaknesses I would also ask. Time to believe now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sonyc said:

Farke seems to be one step ahead and will have already appraised Preston I would imagine. He will know that their form (last 6 games for example) is second in the table ( jointly with us) and they make for a dangerous opponent. Expect him to say something like this today.

But you're right ABC, you'd think we have come out of a 'phase' of games. And we have. Now, we have some intriguing games where we could create some headroom. Just need to keep doing our stuff.

If I could give you some reassuring words, wouldn't we do what we've been doing for the last 4 months over the next 15 games? Where are the real weaknesses I would also ask. Time to believe now.

Thanks, this is spot on

Funnily I’m not a nervous type generally but with City I tend to fear the worst.

i think going back to when we first topped the table last year I’ve been apprehensive before every single game that it might be the end of our good run of form .  Sure there had been the defeat against Derby but overall the performance level had been outstanding and consistent.

Plus we are playing some simply exquisite football, in every single game even when the overall performance is less good as Sunday 

I’m going tomorrow which is a fair trek and I’m already a good part of the journey in from Norwich- kudos to the fans making the full trip. Can’t wait !!

• Like 1

Good stuff ICF. I can't get there tomorrow (work ☹️) but will be at Bolton. I would love a win and hope your journey is fruitful! At least being northern-based my journey might be about 60-90 minutes.

As you say, kudos.

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Good stuff ICF. I can't get there tomorrow (work ☹️) but will be at Bolton. I would love a win and hope your journey is fruitful! At least being northern-based my journey might be about 60-90 minutes.

As you say, kudos.

Yeah, me too. Really wanted to go to the Preston match, but have work commitments I can't get out of.  Got my Bolton ticket though, looking forwards to seeing a big canary following there!  Good luck to all who go tomorrow night!