Sign in to follow this  
Berks canary

13 Wins in last 61 games

Marc Edworthy is the latest player to say that Worthington can''t be a bad manager overnight . This follows from Delia and other board members in recent weeks . So let''s look at his record - 13 wins in the last 61 games . My question is when was he a good manager ? When was overnight ? Two years ago ? In any walk of life this record takes some beating for being so bad . It is difficult to think of any good buys he has made in the past two years . We came into the Premiership without replacing Iwan and Malky - We wasted money on Jonnson, Helveg , Charlton , Bentley . This year he has done the same with Jarrett and Thorne and probably Hughes - He got rid of a decent full back in Edworthy , bought two more who he dropped for Fleming and then got another on loan ! We have now provisionally done a deal for Ethutu who cannot get into Prestons first team and was "anonomous "against Derby - The list of bad decisions goes on and on ! Yet we are told that Mr Worthington is a good manager . When ??????

The problem of all of Worthington''s signings has been his inability to plan ahead, to make contingency plans. He made a complete pigs ear of the summer signings, and now he is stuck in an impossible position - he has to get someone new in, but he can only bring in players who are available - and that''s the problem - very little seems to be available - so we sign misfits/out of form players. What we need it hungry players from the lower divisions, out to prove themselves. Not Championship cast offs looking to go out to graze (i.e. Thorne). Sadly, that means buying them, and you can only do that in January or the Summer. And seeing as we have no scouting network of any note, we probably haven''t got a clue who is in the lower leagues.

Worthy has not become a bad manager overnight - his coaching has always been questionable but what has really come home to roost this season is his over reliance on hard work over ability.

I will continue to fly in the face of fashion and continue to defend the signings of Helveg, Jonson and Bentley from the prem season as once Worthy had found his best team (April! part of the problem) they were competitive - and that was in the prem. 

They were far from perfect but give me last seasons midfield any time as in Francis, Safri, Jonson and Bentley we had options going forward other than just Hux and one of those options sat on the bench.  No they do not run around as hard as holt or hughes or any of the other hard working types that worthy prefers but they are far more effective footballers going forward and even defensively,  which is the game city are supposed to be playing.

This seasons midfield is an embarrassment to the name and will go down as one of the worst city have ever put together.  To say players were not available is no excuse - the blades and leeds were able to strengthen their midfield so why not us? 

I said at the time and will always do so that the reason why city were relegated was done to the manager failing to put out our strongest team until it was too late as he over-relied on personal favourite athletic ground covering runners ahead of footballers  -  and that preference has led to our poor showing this season.   When he was forced (and he was forced - the forest defeat that season left us as seriously under prerforming as this season)   to go for ability (harper, hux, Crouch, sven) we know what happened next. 

OTBC

He couldnt play his strongest team until April because the strongest team wasn''t available to him, i don''t know if you remember (as most Norwich fans seem to have short term memorys at the moment) but we had the worst injury crisis in the league (along with Liverpool) hence why we even had to play Danny Crow and Jarvis up front against Liverpool, And we were still unlucky to get relegated at the end of the season, and yet you all still moan, ok we''re not having a great season so far, but nor did Wolves last year, Hoddle isnt exactly doing wonders after they changed managers, look at Leicster as well, changing managers didn''t do them any good. Only team who came down that year and is now doing well is Leeds, and oh wait they are doing better than the other 2!

changing managers Stabilised wolves and leicester, even coventry will probably be ok.  if we have to sell ashton and green - i wonder what worthy will do to the club - I am not looking forward to us signing Etuhu - waste of money entirely - he may as well have not been on the park against millwall and derby.  Robinson is ok.  but still there is no creativity. and once the good players go and are replaced by worthington Journeymen that is it i dread to think.................

I cannot see this club in the top half of the table with worthy in charge

Spending MONEY on the likes of Andy Hughes is unforgivable!!!

BURLEY IN!! WORTHY OUT!!!!!

I mean with a rasiak and an idiakez (burley signings) and playing to Deano''s strengths we could be walking this league

[quote user="ellis206"]He couldnt play his strongest team until April because the strongest team wasn''t available to him, [/quote]

Ellis  - yes we did have a midfield injury crisis around Jan when inexplicably the one fit professional who had played midfield did not nmake the bench for that period because he was ''blamed'' for the boxing day defeat againt spurs - yet another case of WLY being ureasonably blamed for a defeat in a game when we were unlucky to come away without a point and WLY played better than most.

My recall of last season is pretty good - from Oct I was calling for different defensive partnerships to be tried that excluded the one player who was leaving gaps - he was not dropped until Ipswich this season.  Like wise Safri was left on the sidelines (pre injury) while holt soldiered on and helveg forced to play in midfield while eddy tried he hardest on the right.   We did not have that many injuries but they were to our best midfielders for a short period in the new year.   

The key is Worthy did not know his best team until it was too late (he could have dropped flem at any stage and safri and helveg were availabel from at least the blackburn game) and only changed when relegation seemed certain and players begged to be given a chance . Bad luck or poor management - you have your view, mine simply differs.

OTBC

Sorry Ellis but I agree with Zipper with my recollection of last season.  Helveg and Safri were not injured from August to April and could have played many more games before the final run in.  Worthington chose not to play them at all or in the right position.

Anyone looking for an insight to the man should try and remember the Bentley training ground incident for which he was dropped from the squad for several games.  Having a bit of a laugh at the training ground should not constitute being dropped from the squad.  Are players not allowed to have fun playing for Worthy?

agree with you zip - i wanted flem to be ''rested'' for the newcastle

carling cup to see if other combo''s could be tried.  Flem was

quality champ winning season, but a season earlier 2 seasons ealier at

man city (when pearce when loopy & got sent off) flem struggled

against pace. we were  one up that game and lost 3-1 i think, for

one of the goals flem backed off so far he was in his 6 yard box and

their player slotted it home without a challenge being put in. 

That was flems prob last season and now this, standing off and letting

opposition play.

I''m worried if worthy stays, he''ll bring flem back for saints game and

move the doc over to the left berth, he doesn''t play as well there.

Let me remind those with dim memories that Worthy took us into the Premiership with a Centre Half ( Doherty ) as our main striker and a diminuitive left back ( Charlton ) as our Centre Half . In other words he failed to replace Malky and Iwan . Is this the sign of a good manager when you know the start you get in the Premiership is all important ( ask Wigan and Sunderland ) ? We were the first club to know we were in the Premiership , yet when the season kicked off we were totally unprepared to meet the challenge ahead . Let me also say that i get fed up with the excuses that we have had a lot of injuries - yes , but so have almost every other club . I also cannot buy the " we are suffering a fall out from going down " - So what about Palace and Southampton then . They had the same fate yet are much better placed than us .How many of our team against Derby were regular with us last year ?- only three .

It really is time to stop offering excuses for what is a bad manager who has made a succession of bad buying and selection decisions . We are approaching the moment of truth in the transfer window when what is left of our team will be picked off in the transfer window. Prepare yourself for relegation because that''s where we are going with Worthy.

13 out of 61 really shows up Worthington for what he is - a pretty average manager at best.

He had the opportunity AND the players to keep us in the Premiership - we should NOT have been relying on that last day of the season result.   He obviously felt so confident in his abilities that he could keep 2 seasoned internationals on the bench (Safri & Helveg) and then play them out of position when he finally saw the light.

The man is a liability now, he''s lost the respect of the supporters and more importantly he''s lost the respect of the dressing room.

He should have the decency and dignity to recognise that he''s taken the club as far as he can - accept the thanks of the fans for the rollercoaster ride of the past couple of seasons and hold his head up high when he appears on Sky or Five Live as a summariser (after all he can''t be any worse than Redknapp or Le Saux can he?!).

Time to get your coat Nigel.

33 defeats in 66 games is an even more damning stat - whether it includes a prem season or not. 

[quote user="Berks canary"]

Let me remind those with dim memories

that Worthy took us into the Premiership with a Centre Half ( Doherty )

as our main striker and a diminuitive left back ( Charlton ) as our

Centre Half . In other words he failed to replace Malky and Iwan . Is

this the sign of a good manager when you know the start you get in the

Premiership is all important ( ask Wigan and Sunderland ) ? We were the

first club to know we were in the Premiership , yet when the season

kicked off we were totally unprepared to meet the challenge ahead . Let

me also say that i get fed up with the excuses that we have had a lot

of injuries - yes , but so have almost every other club . I also cannot

buy the " we are suffering a fall out from going down " - So what about

Palace and Southampton then . They had the same fate yet are much

better placed than us .How many of our team against Derby were regular

with us last year ?- only three .

It really is time to stop offering excuses for what is a bad manager

who has made a succession of bad buying and selection decisions . We

are approaching the moment of truth in the transfer window when what is

left of our team will be picked off in the transfer window. Prepare

yourself for relegation because that''s where we are going with Worthy.

[/quote]

Spot on mate !!!!

If worthy doesn''t leave and a NEW BIG NAME MANAGER comes in to inspire

Deano, Hucks, Hughes, etc and get rid of the dead wood,

Mcveigh,flemming,Brenan, Charlton, Dury, then we will lose Deno, Green

etc... ANd be fighting for our lives!

Look at the table it doesn''t lie... We are below HULL!!!! and they we Crap at carrow road!

SSDD