Sign in to follow this  
marinersawan

City’s going up and the Town are going down...

It’s happened before, I think - but we swapped divisions (85-86). I don’t think we’ve ever been two divisions apart since they scammed their way into 3rd division south ( finishing third in the Southern League in 1937, with the Cobbold family schmoozing the votes needed for election).  However we were pretty close on one occasion when they won the 3rd division south and we were bottom, applying for re-election.  Any memories of those days, and the turn-around for the 58-59 cup run?

The turn-around was pretty miraculous and the natives were restless buddy. Nobody seems to remember this....

"Their manager, Archie Macaulay, a distinguished former Arsenal and Scottish international right-half, had come under intense pressure from the fans. Early in the season he became barricaded in his office as disillusioned supporters protested loudly in the street outside. In keeping with the dismal mood, City struggled to beat amateurs Ilford, a lowly-placed Isthmian League side, at home in the first round. The Canaries were actually a goal behind at half-time and only secured victory late in the game."

That’s an account of the cup run I’ve never seen before - many thanks.

We played Ipswich in the FA cup in 1962 (before I was born) - drew at home and won away.  Monster crowd of over 39800 at Carrow Road - anyone remember what it was like?  Must be in our top ten attendances, surely?

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Here's a treat...

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/144195

I reckon Rickyyy was there. let's see if we can spot him🙃

no segregation in those days? my first derby was 1982, so I knew nothing else

what was the atmosphere like back then, I´ve got a romantic notion that it was a lot more civilized

Nigel - doesn’t look as packed as I would expext for nearly 40k - but I suppose another 4k got in for the Leicester cup game in 1963.  Any memories from anyone of that?

Two important points from that clip.

1. The standard of footwear worn to matches in those days was far higher than today.

2. See that Ipswich player appealing that the ball had crossed the line at the end of the clip and being waved away by the ref. Cheating barstewards even back then 🙃:classic_mellow:

• Haha 1

Elasticman - it was segregated when I first went to a derby in about 1977.  But the full-height fence wasn’t up in the Barclay, or the cages at the front.  I was in the River End with my Dad, and it looked a bit lively down the Barclay.  It always seemed that 30-40 fans were nicked each match, 2/3 or 3/4 of them Norwich according to the newspapers, but Ipswich seem to think they were on top off as well as on the pitch.  Any comments?

2 minutes ago, marinersawan said:

Elasticman - it was segregated when I first went to a derby in about 1977.  But the full-height fence wasn’t up in the Barclay, or the cages at the front.  I was in the River End with my Dad, and it looked a bit lively down the Barclay.  It always seemed that 30-40 fans were nicked each match, 2/3 or 3/4 of them Norwich according to the newspapers, but Ipswich seem to think they were on top off as well as on the pitch.  Any comments?

segregation came in during the early/mid 70´s I think. My sister was in the Barclay for the Man Utd game when that guy fell through the roof. I was only a kid in the 70´s, my dad would take me in the river end occasionally, but being young I don´t recall much trouble

I´ve always thought of the post-war period (up to the late 60´s) as being a relatively peaceful time to watch football

So when did it go from peaceable mingling on the terraces to lines of police, to fences?  I know some of ours hopped on the pitch in 1965 to stop the cheating Bx sanding the goal after Kevin Keelan had slid around in it all the first half, but that’s an understandable response.  When did the Derby get nasty off the pitch?

2 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

segregation came in during the early/mid 70´s I think. My sister was in the Barclay for the Man Utd game when that guy fell through the roof. I was only a kid in the 70´s, my dad would take me in the river end occasionally, but being young I don´t recall much trouble

I´ve always thought of the post-war period (up to the late 60´s) as being a relatively peaceful time to watch football

Was peaceful for the most part at Carrow Road. The first time I really noticed it changing was cup tie against Sunderland in 1969. Others may have other memories.

33 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

no segregation in those days? my first derby was 1982, so I knew nothing else

what was the atmosphere like back then, I´ve got a romantic notion that it was a lot more civilized

For me there's never been a time to rival now for derbies or all games. The good old days weren't really all that for me. Sometimes I felt lucky to get home in one piece.