Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Paul Lambert

If Daniel Farke, lifts the Championship title, gives us a good season or two in the premership, perhaps a really, really good cup campaign, then the likes of Lamberts will indeed be replaced on that wall.

Or at least moved across it to make way for the new messiah!

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I wish someone would tell us the real reason Lambert left.  There is a lot of stuff about him going to Villa, but wasn't there something else behind the scenes that may have caused him to go?

Nope. He went to Villa because he was ambitious and forced the move. What was then galling was him trying to counter sue us after he left because he manufactured the entire situation.

There was then the legal stuff and rumours as to what may have happened after he left. Read his quote at the end of this article. I think we can all speculate as to who he may have suspected!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/paul-lamberts-wife-targeted-by-text-1280265

This is the end game for Lambert. Ipswich is his last chance. He knows that they are down. 5 years ago he would have walked already. He's not because he can't. He's hoping to rebuild the squad and himself there. To do that, he needs time, to have time, he needs the Ipswich fans behind him. The Norwich legacy will cast doubt so what do you do... you go on the "us against the world" mentally with the fans. You pay for coaches. You go on a battle cry. You finally destroy your legacy at your rivals so that it's not a chain around your neck. For me, part of that scuffle was to show the Ipswich fans what side he's on. It buys him more time so that he can turn that club around in League One and then jump at the first chance of better things... and he will jump... or give up.

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 3

Quite right Jim. It's the one thing he hasn't learnt from his German experience....how to be a modern manager. I was pleased at the time he had come from the O'Neil mould (and a Clough lineage). But nowadays you need more to have an edge (even a marginal one as Webber has alluded to). You need your analytics, your stats, your thorough research and ergo, your game plan forms. Of course you have your style you build too.

Lambert in saying he hadn't seen us or know much about us was counter-productive. For sure, Gill might have advised. But it wasn't like other teams coming to try and squash our supply lines and nearly doing it.

The Lambert story and this latest chapter makes for a kind of Greek tragedy. Coming into the players tunnel yesterday as he arrived, he looked stressed and his face was taut. No relaxation at all pointing to a fragile inner confidence perhaps? But not the self-assurance I used to love to see when he was with us.

These moments of showing such brittleness is not good to see in anyone, let alone a former successful NCFC manager.

His legacy is there, part of history. His team will long be remembered by us all. Grant Holt, Wes, Russ Martin have stayed loyal. Even other ex-players watch us. But yesterday, Lambert possibly cemented his personal legacy with us. Joining Town was an odd choice it must be said. It feels a deliberate act somehow.

He is such a defended personality and he needs conflict in his life to provide the reason to put up his defence. It's his modus operandi. It's Shakespearean too. As a spectacle it's hubris personified.

• Like 4

Of course, he'll never concede to any inappropriate behaviour but with the Sky cameras present, everybody can make their own judgement. He says he was perfectly happy with the policeman's actions but was not prepared to accept the same request from a steward. Well the steward was doing the job that all stewards do up and down the country, encouraging a mobbish individual to return to his seat. Granted it is not customary for the individual to be the manager of one of the teams but it is not usual for him to be such a jerk.

• Like 1

Yes and what the sky footage very clearly shows is all their staff in our technical area which immediately undermines his claims. He has to be dragged about 20 yards back across the halfway line back into his own technical area. 

27 minutes ago, sonyc said:

You need your analytics, your stats, your thorough research and ergo, your game plan forms. Of course you have your style you build too.

Not really the former, whereas you do need the whole club working as one, and money.

With the latter being on how it is spent. How much was wasted on the likes of VOO and Fer ? How much could have been spent on better coaching and scouting ? What did it cost to identify Buendia and Onel ?

How much has it cost to 'transform' Vrancic - to develop Lewis, Aarons and Gordon ?

Lambert was never more than the 'front of house' man, with Culverhouse and Kafka (?) being the real operatives. I suspect he took on this job not being aware of the true state of affairs at poorman road, including Evans asset stripping attitude and now finds himself falling on his ar se.. yet again.

I wonder how much of his salary package was based around him keeping them up ? If it was then it won't be Dunston Hall he finds himself in but Farque Hall....... and I think he knows it.

2 hours ago, Norwich R Us said:

It's called passion and pride. If football doesn't stir any emotions for you and the local rivalry means nothing, why bother following it frankly.

Passion and pride in Norwich City I have in bucketfulls.What happens down the road in Ipswich I couldn't care less

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Mr.Woodman.

Yes. You are the second person ask about this incident, but I distinctly remember Lambert's speech which must have been recorded and put online in some way as I certainly wasn't there.

BUT, I distinctly recall the event and it is no figment of my imagination.

Basically he said that the club had achieved so much even though the players were "crap," the board was "crap" and the club was "crap," but tried to turn it into a joke.

Perhaps it was genuinely harmless fun, but I still considered his choice of of vocabulary inappropriate for the occasion and I can swear with the best of them when on the golf course.

Surely somebody else recalls this. It did happen, but I need help here from one of the 'cognoscenti.' At the moment I seem to be the only one who remembers the incident and that is vague.

I remember this Broadstairs.  It was a dinner where he gave a speech and a recording was put on-line but pulled shortly afterwards, I listened to it once.    This was at the time when we were aware he was likely to leave for Villa but it hadn't been made public, and we were hoping for signs that he wouldn't move but feared the worst.  When I heard the speech I definitely thought it was made by someone who knew he was leaving.

It was absolutely littered with swearing and basically taking the **** out of the players and the club generally.  I think you could take it both ways, I thought it was humour, very heavy handed, but still meant as humorous, but I wasn't there and I could be wrong.   If someone actually attended the event they'd probably have a better feel for the body language etc and how it came over ?

When I say you could tell he was leaving, I felt it was basically showing affection for the players/club (in an incredibly heavy-handed old school way) but with a "I'm moving on now and leaving you behind" sub-text coming across pretty clearly.  After I heard it, I was resigned to the fact that he'd be moving on and so it was no surprise when it was made public shortly afterwards.

I remember hearing about this, it was either the away fans dinner of the Player of the Season Awards dinner. Plenty of people who were there commented about it on here at the time.

5 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

In terms of points per game he's probably one of the best (maybe even numero uno?) managers in our history and one of the worst (maybe the worse?) in Ipswich's history. 

We hate him. They adore him. 

Funny old game. 

Lambert is a walking contradiction.

He can't remember 6 minutes ago but we have short memories.

We are moaned at for giving him abuse yet he kicks off big time after 45mins of being ignored.

He inherited league one players in championship with Ipswich so happy to pass blame for relegation to Hurst, he inherited championship players in league one with us and happily takes all the credit.

I loved him when he was here, I was gutted he went to villa but 99% didn't boo him on his return and he jumps on pitch fist clenched.

It's sad really that those 3 years of togetherness are being tainted

13 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Lambert is a walking contradiction.

He can't remember 6 minutes ago but we have short memories.

We are moaned at for giving him abuse yet he kicks off big time after 45mins of being ignored.

He inherited league one players in championship with Ipswich so happy to pass blame for relegation to Hurst, he inherited championship players in league one with us and happily takes all the credit.

I loved him when he was here, I was gutted he went to villa but 99% didn't boo him on his return and he jumps on pitch fist clenched.

It's sad really that those 3 years of togetherness are being tainted

Exactly this - unlike many on here I've never at any stage wanted Lambert back again after he left for Villa but I would certainly like to simply remember the good times we had with him and move on from the rather sour parting.

But he clearly either doesn't want to or can't move on from his time here which is probably not helped by his total lack of success since he left us. Whatever the cause, after his performance yesterday, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to regard his achievements for us with the same respect/admiration that I used to feel.

As someone posted on another board, he walked out on us for Villa, then countersued and sought compensation, taunted us when he came back with Villa and has now joined our biggest rivals. He has showed time and again that he holds no sentiment towards our club so why should the feeling not be mutual.

Personally i could have forgiven him the first couple of things in time. Mcnally was abrasive and i'm sure the departure was acrimoneous hence the legal stuff but seeing how he behaved towards us as Villa manager and then him joining the sc*m is a step too far.

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Really? He had a funny way of doing that when he returned with Villa.

The man has no class. Bowkett was 100% right about him.

We can still appreciate what he did here as manager without accepting his behaviour here since. 

Spot on. 

As mentioned before - he finds himself in a no lose position currently as he can blame his predecessor for all the ills , but take credit for the very few positives. Where there are no real positives he either makes them up ("We dominated the game") , or engineers them like yesterdays farcical punch up , so that the tribal instincts kick in from a desperate bunch of  fans.  Throw in  a Neanderthal like "Chambo" , aka the "Gift That Keeps On Giving" , and he has the basis upon which he can curry favour. 

Of course this has a finite life. If they find themselves in League 1 next year he will have a small window to achieve success. There would be no more excuses given a summer window to stamp his own authority.  Two of his current signings wouldn't want to play in League 1, (Collins and the bloke from Huddersfield) and in any case they couldn't afford the wages. 

Lambert came to us under dubious circumstances. We all thought it was great at the time , but he was a willing participant in  being coerced away from Colchester. And of course he left us having been tapped up by Villa (oh and Burnley at some point too), and took all of his staff with him, which subsequently he threw under a bus .

Villa ended badly , Blackburn and Wolves you can take a view on but started to establish his career at the the bottom of the Championship. Stoke wasn't a massive success either.  

What interests me is what the bog standard Binner actually thinks. Their attempt to follow a model of lesser known  lower league manager who comes good (where have I seen that work before?) proved a disaster (but they went for the wrong one) and now they have a Mick McCarthy equivalent brought in to keep them up. So do the Binners really see this as positive, or is it just fractionally better than before? Statistically it seems to be the same. The Gates went up a bit when they murdered the prices, but they cant keep doing that as they must be running each game at a loss on kids for a quid.  

And by the way ,it wasn't just Bowkett. Buy McNally half a lager and ask him for an opinion. Oh and Culverhouse . And most of The Midlands. And his ex wife , and some staff at Dunston Hall. 

I'll stop now. 

8 hours ago, Norwich R Us said:

It's called passion and pride. If football doesn't stir any emotions for you and the local rivalry means nothing, why bother following it frankly.

Yes, just as obscenity and worse is called banter. You do realise that there is more to emotional life than the emotional poverty of the nasty-minded tribalism that blights football?

15 minutes ago, ricardo said:

All a great shame but it takes a special kind of idiot to $hit on his own legend.

I think that's about right. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

7 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

PS - the sc*m fans getting annoyed at the "it was all Culverhouse" narrative coming from our end. To be fair and clear it was not ALL Culverhouse, it probably was not even mostly Culverhouse but Culverhouse and Lambert were a clearly team who dovetailed particularly well and its clear that Lambert on his own has struggled to replicate that success. This is perhaps not surprising given that Lambert was up in Scotland half the week with Culverhouse taking the training. Lambert is from the O'Neil school of figurehead management. his strengths are clearly the bond he forms with his players and his motivational skills. But clearly he is also a manager who is only ever going to be as good as the coaching team he has with him and if you look at Ipswich their effort, desire and motivation appears to have improved under him but their defence hasn't. No coincidence that in my book.

Yeah, I'd agree with that assessment.

The Clough/O'Neill school of management was built around having some distance from the players. Hearing Martin O'Neill speak about Brian Clough, I think he's still terrified of him, and even Lambert described the rare times Martin O'Neill showed up to training as "like a visit from Darth Vader". Even Alex Ferguson would get his No 2 to do the training sessions.

Lambert is clearly a great motivator and leader, but any time it's been suggested on here that he left the tactical side to Culverhouse, certain people on here treat it as an attempt to rewrite history. But I've it from multiple Villa and Norwich sources now.

After five years with Culverhouse and Karsa, when they got sacked for "bullying" and he limped through to the summer and offered his resignation to the Villa board (and the then Chief Executive got him to sign a new four year deal), the partnership with Roy Keane didn't last long and he got sacked partway through the season.

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

Yes, just as obscenity and worse is called banter. You do realise that there is more to emotional life than the emotional poverty of the nasty-minded tribalism that blights football?

Honestly I have no idea what point you are trying to crowbar in here.

Edited by Norwich R Us

I love the memories that Lambert gave us, but that's were my admiration for the idiot ends. 

He walked out on Norwich for a bigger pay cheque and what is believed to be a bigger club. That in itself is fair enough, he's not from Norwich and will try to better himself as he see's fit.

Going to Ipswich. Why not, he has failed miserably since he left us, this is an opportunity to make himself a legend in the wee town down the road. The faith in the bloke is unfathomable from the Ipswich supporters, I must admit i don't get it?

For me, the way he has conducted interviews and how he portrayed himself on the pitch yesterday was an embarrassment. Lambert has zero, nil, none, zilch, no respect from me (for what it's worth).

7 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Passion and pride in Norwich City I have in bucketfulls.What happens down the road in Ipswich I couldn't care less

It's Paul Lambert. It's a story and it means something to people. They are not "juvenile" as you so condescendingly put it for pointing it out.