Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Paul Lambert

In terms of points per game he's probably one of the best (maybe even numero uno?) managers in our history and one of the worst (maybe the worse?) in Ipswich's history. 

We hate him. They adore him. 

Funny old game. 

I don't hate him, hate is a strong word. He's been an annoyance for a week or so, it's over, despite his protestations he lost, game over. 

• Like 1

If he was with any other team than Ipswich he would be welcomed with applause and he would have acknowledged the supporters. All this hate and rhetoric against him is so juvenile

8 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

If he was with any other team than Ipswich he would be welcomed with applause and he would have acknowledged the supporters. All this hate and rhetoric against him is so juvenile

It's called passion and pride. If football doesn't stir any emotions for you and the local rivalry means nothing, why bother following it frankly.

1 minute ago, Grumpy said:

Sorry Mr.G.but myself, and many others on here I suspect, had turned against this uncouth individual long before his connections with ITFC.

It's all been well documented above including his behaviour at Carrow Road when he returned with Villa, the underhand way he left us for Villa Park in the first place (and Colchester as well... so our club is not blameless in these things as we know,) his disparaging comments about our club and it's hierarchy (including his performance at his last annual club dinner,) and his continued belief that in terms of overall contribution he was better for for NCFC than the club had been for his career. In the latter, both benefited enormously.

I just dislike him,and his cynical PR performance at Portman Roadhas just added to this view.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Lambert was juvenile......

21 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Well, he started it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I didn't literally mean hate. You shouldn't really hate anyone because of football (though Tyrone Mings and Kevin Muscat put that to the test).

But I did get a significant degree of pleasure in watching him seethe and his face get pinker several times throughout yesterday. It is a shame because those three seasons with Lambert were among the most enjoyable seasons of football I've witnessed in my short life. His antics post-NCFC hasn't soured them for me at all; however, I suspect it has for him. I think he really does hate us and if we're being completely honest with ourselves, his achievements have financed what we are now watching.

28 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Really? He had a funny way of doing that when he returned with Villa.

The man has no class. Bowkett was 100% right about him.

We can still appreciate what he did here as manager without accepting his behaviour here since. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I didn't literally mean hate. You shouldn't really hate anyone because of football (though Tyrone Mings and Kevin Muscat put that to the test).

But I did get a significant degree of pleasure in watching him seethe and his face get pinker several times throughout yesterday. It is a shame because those three seasons with Lambert were among the most enjoyable seasons of football I've witnessed in my short life. His antics post-NCFC hasn't soured them for me at all; however, I suspect it has for him. I think he really does hate us and if we're being completely honest with ourselves, his achievements have financed what we are now watching.

I think he hates us too Dan. The incident that sparked his outburst on Sunday did not warrant such an over the top reaction.  Usually when someone loses their temper over something insignificant it's because of pent up pressure from other things. I think he really desperately wanted to win against us and couldn't handle it when it became obvious it wasn't going to happen.

I don't know why he feels so strongly and I guess we never will but there is no doubt in my mind that it is pretty something deep rooted.  

5 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I think he hates us too Dan. The incident that sparked his outburst on Sunday did not warrant such an over the top reaction.  Usually when someone loses their temper over something insignificant it's because of pent up pressure from other things. I think he really desperately wanted to win against us and couldn't handle it when it became obvious it wasn't going to happen.

I don't know why he feels so strongly and I guess we never will but there is no doubt in my mind that it is pretty something deep rooted.  

I posted on another thread I wouldn't put it past him to have engineered the incident deliberately such is the devious nature of the mercenary Mr Iscariot.

My own view on it is that I will always remember what he achieved at Norwich, but we were every bit as good for him as he was for us,  but since leaving us his career has been on a downward trajectory. As has been said elsewhere on this thread the man lacks class, and his comments lack credibility, to say he left Norwich because he need a break is laughable as he then pitched up at Villa, some break!!. As far as I am concerned Paul Lambert is history and a busted flush.........

I still don't know what it was actually about. He uttered something in the post-match interview about one of our players running 30 yards to get his player booked or something? Have I missed anything else?

46 minutes ago, Norwich R Us said:

It's called passion and pride. If football doesn't stir any emotions for you and the local rivalry means nothing, why bother following it frankly.

I don't get all this w!lly waving, 'I'm a bigger fan than you ' nonsense. Just because I can't bring myself to hate him doesn't devalue me as a supporter. We've played the game, it's over, Preston up next. Good job Farke isn't getting all distracted by the soap opera going on at Portman Rd.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chip20 said:

I still don't know what it was actually about. He uttered something in the post-match interview about one of our players running 30 yards to get his player booked or something? Have I missed anything else?

He claimed one of our staff had gone into their technical area and said something about not letting his guys get bullied... Can't say I've noticed that initial transgression but it did seem he escalated things rather quickly and took great offence at the steward doing his job (until Suffolk(?) Constabulary got involved)...

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

his disparaging comments about our club and it's hierarchy (including his performance at his last annual club dinner,)

Broadstairs, can you remind everyone about this, I can't remember what happened?

One aspect that I don't understand is Lambert was shown a red card which meant he is sent off, he then sits in the stand no problem. The BBC local news clearly shows him on his mobile phone to Gill in the dugout surely this can't be right once  sent off you take no further part in the game.

2 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

One aspect that I don't understand is Lambert was shown a red card which meant he is sent off, he then sits in the stand no problem. The BBC local news clearly shows him on his mobile phone to Gill in the dugout surely this can't be right once  sent off you take no further part in the game.

👍

Bit of a clown though - he made a big point about Norwich staff going into his technical area, but unless I'm mistaken, it's actually Lambert walking into our technical area initially a few seconds after the foul on Aarons is committed?!

3 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

Yes, I wondered that too. when a player is sent off, they go down the tunnel for the proverbial 'early bath'.  Does anyone know what the actual rules are.  He also said that he was in their dressing room at half time - I think the quote was 'I went in anyway'. I do hope the FA/EFL throw the book at him.  I suspect both clubs will face a charge of failing to control their players as well.

Mr.Woodman.

Yes. You are the second person ask about this incident, but I distinctly remember Lambert's speech which must have been recorded and put online in some way as I certainly wasn't there.

BUT, I distinctly recall the event and it is no figment of my imagination.

Basically he said that the club had achieved so much even though the players were "crap," the board was "crap" and the club was "crap," but tried to turn it into a joke.

Perhaps it was genuinely harmless fun, but I still considered his choice of of vocabulary inappropriate for the occasion and I can swear with the best of them when on the golf course.

Surely somebody else recalls this. It did happen, but I need help here from one of the 'cognoscenti.' At the moment I seem to be the only one who remembers the incident and that is vague.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Ian, I agree, I haven't seen any footage of anyone going into their technical area. I wasn't at the game so perhaps something happened the cameras didn't show. Did anyone see any our guys go into his technical area? He certainly came into hours. Good to see Farke not get involved. Lambert seems bitter and twisted.

Lambert puts me in mind of a few other young (at the time!) managers who have been tipped for greatness and, in time, have probably let the adulation not only distract them from their work but eat away at the hard work ethic that got them there in the first place.

Lambert dragged himself up through graft and no little struggle, from a managerial perspective. He might have won a Champions League medal but he wasn't, back in the day, above himself so much that he wouldn't begin his managerial career at Livingstone where he felt compelled to resign, so bad was his record there. That might have been it had Wycombe not taken a punt on someone who might already have been considered the proverbial busted flush, a League Cup semi final and play off defeat was the best he could do there but he still got the nod from Colchester, where, for all the hype of the 1-7 and what followed, they only finished mid-table in his only full season with them.

So someone at Carrow Road must have seen something about him because he sure as hell didn't get offered the job on the basis of that 7-1 win he got them on that day.

At least you'd think there was more to it than that-but his record, up to then, makes you wonder what they saw and where they found it.

Nonetheless, it worked.

I think he feels we owe him-and maybe we do but that was apparent, even yesterday, when loads of Norwich fans were, despite expressing their dislike of him now, still acknowledging what he did here and how great it was at the time. He has respect, grudging at best, but he's done his level best to wear that down now and maybe, deep down, he doesn't want anyone to love him a'la Millwall and Leeds.

He'd fit in well at either of those clubs, they share his aggressive outlook on things-fight, scrap, them against us, "don't ****'in get beat", that sort of thing. He isn't a 'fit' at Ipswich in the same way Mourinho wasn't at Man Utd. Their fans are trying to convince themselves he is & he's doing all he can to convince them as well (the soundbites early on, getting the ex-players into training, his actions yesterday) but its an uncomfortable liaison that won't last.

He reminds me of David O'Leary when he found himself as Leeds manager almost by accident and, albeit with loads of cash, made them a force and a side to be reckoned with for a couple of years, including a Champions League semi final. The lure of the big time and Villa, in time, were his downfall as well. He chose to get out and count his money when his time there ended, Lambert is refusing, it would seem, to accept he may have been found out as well.

He's a sad, shadow of the man he once was and even that man had zero integrity or loyalty but we overlooked it as he was ours and doing a great job. Like some glasweigan drunk taking on the whole pub. Very sad to see. He was an a**e when he came back with Villa

The way he manufactured his exit from us was poor, the way he has lied about it since (and indeed had the nerve to try and counter sue us) shows a man with very little moral compass, the fact he was prepared to go to Ipswich (his choice) shows that the fact he may have had some sort of legacy with us means nothing to him. He's just a sad, bitter individual who I hope fails miserably and leaves that lot languishing in the lower leagues. 

PS - the sc*m fans getting annoyed at the "it was all Culverhouse" narrative coming from our end. To be fair and clear it was not ALL Culverhouse, it probably was not even mostly Culverhouse but Culverhouse and Lambert were a clearly team who dovetailed particularly well and its clear that Lambert on his own has struggled to replicate that success. This is perhaps not surprising given that Lambert was up in Scotland half the week with Culverhouse taking the training. Lambert is from the O'Neil school of figurehead management. his strengths are clearly the bond he forms with his players and his motivational skills. But clearly he is also a manager who is only ever going to be as good as the coaching team he has with him and if you look at Ipswich their effort, desire and motivation appears to have improved under him but their defence hasn't. No coincidence that in my book.