Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Are we really as s**t as TWTD suggests?

Spent a while reading posts on TWTD forum tonight (more entertaining that watching the BAFTAs). Quite apart from the usual threads banging on about their fabulous history that we will never have, and the majority of them aren't even old enough to remember, they seem to be consoling themselves with the  assertion that Norwich fans are cr@p because they aren't vocal enough, and the team were lucky to get a win against a dominant Ipswich midfield.

Granted, the ground was a little quiet for a derby match, and the team performance was far from the lofty heights seen at Leeds the previous week, but what they can't get their heads around is the fact that while it is a massive game for them (the only thing they realistically have anything left to play for this season) to a large section of the home support it's just another game against a very poor team from the depths of the division. Maybe the players didn't bring their 'A' game because it was always going to be an easy win with the 'B' or even 'C' game. Event the most fervent City supporter would surely have to admit that the derby doesn't have the same tension and excitement when even a loss would probably still result in them going down while we go up.

TWTD? Indeed Those Were The Days - Ipswich fans just need to accept the fact that football has moved on and those days are never coming back.

• Like 1

They continually blind themselves to their precarious position by fantasising about their status in the football world based upon the fact that they won the old first division in the days of black and white television, the FA CUP one time and that second rate European competition (Inter City Fairs cup or equivalent.)

The latter achievement meant that they apparently "dominated" Europe, whilst 23 teams in the entirety of the league have won the FA Cup more than once and twenty teams one time, including giants like Coventry , Wigan (2013) and Wimbledon since Robson's win.

Yet their trophy cabinet "bulges" according to one poster as I recall.

Our League Cup victories might not be that momentous but they  count for nothing in their book, even the last one at Wembley.

They ignore our much superior record since the inception of the Premier League (Premiership) and before under the likes of Bond, Brown and Stringer. It's a daily reminisce about Sir Bobby and Sir Alf.

They call us, a club that owns it's own ground and training ground (with Academy 1,) has no debt, sells over 20,000 season tickets annually and regularly has had gates in excess of 10,000 average per season over them over a period well beyond ten years (from a far bigger catchment area.) "tin pot."

Also, we also currently sit astride the Championship and have a squad that outstrips theirs in value by multi millions.

They struggle to equal half of our season ticket sales, have gates dipping towards the sub 10,000 mark (when not counting visitors and season ticket holders who increasingly cannot be bothered to attend,) have less lucrative sponsorship deals and cannot come within a mile of Carrow Road's catering and other extraneous profit making activities. Their stands  (which they actually own and have to maintain) are apparently in  a state of serious disrepair. They cannot even afford to clean the pigeon ****e from off all those statues. They lease the ground they play on from the council and rent their training ground.

Then there is the £90m debt, which apparently does not exist because it is internal and Father Marcus of Tax Haven Island is not over-concerned about it either. Perhaps because he has been able to cream money from sales, until now at least, and gets rent and free advertising up to a point. They are split between loving Marcus Evans and hating him as he keeps the club afloat whilst presiding over it's decline.

Now that is tinpot.

Yesterday's assessment of the game they lost three nil to an "inferior" team on the day is just a continuation of their refusal to accept the real facts about the reality of the circumstances of the two clubs. 

Part of my enjoyment of supporting City is enjoying our rivalry with ITFC and visiting TWTD regularly, and I have always considered the existence of football forums and other internet sites has intensified such inter-club rivalries beyond a fisticuffs on a derby day, so in many ways their inevitable relegation and subsequent  irrelevance and our possible promotion will mean that this aspect of my "fun." will likely cease to exist. The "gap" will simply be too big to hold any interest, beyond the occasional glance.

No we are not a "s---" as TWTD suggests.They are just refusing to accept the reality of just how the "Old Farm" rivalry has turned so much in our favour gradually over many seasons to the point where Colchester United will soon make more realistic rivals for them. .

Will they average 24, 500 in League1? No chance.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Are we really as s**t as TWTD suggests

On yesterdays performance we were a little s**t, Not willing to play our normal game and getting dragged down to their level.

I hope they go back to what got them to the top of the table on Wednesday 🤞  

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Are we really as s**t as TWTD suggests

On yesterdays performance we were a little s**t, Not willing to play our normal game and getting dragged down to their level.

I hope they go back to what got them to the top of the table on Wednesday 🤞  

To do that, score with all 3 shots on target, keep a clean sheet and go top of the league suggests we are definitely not s**t 😂

I thought the atmosphere was good but not great and arrived at a similar thought to you Sooty, it has been 10 years since they won a game against us and to be honest the excitement and trepidation just isn't there like it used to be. I was far more nervous about the Sheff Utd and Leeds games than this one and I think that derives from the expectation of a victory and the fact that they really haven't been rivals to us for a while. Many of our fans will not be able to remember a time when the games were close and there was a real possibility of being on the other end of a drubbing, so with that goes some of the 'danger' from the games.

All in I thought they did better than I expected but it was a routine win for us - not an especially fast paced game but one where we played to our tempo and the result came as expected.

Onward and upwards to more exciting encounters.

TWTD is infected by the delusional and the self important types. I suspect virtually none of their contributors go to the games yet they are all experts, its quite laughable really.

The atmosphere around Riverside and Lower end of POW Rd was good, loud and colourful, as was the display in the ground. Midday kickoff is a problem for a derby but that is what it is.

We have a lot of vocal support but it is spread thin across lower Barclay and Snakepit, Shame that stand was not one large bank. 

However, due to the relative size of our ground and the lack of capacity expansion (which is understandable), there is very little chance of the casual supporter getting a ticket and having their once a season shout at the old enemy. If there were more tickets available for games like this then I suspect the number of season ticket sale may decline (unless Prem league of course).

Perfect supply and demand is Carrow Rd. 

I also know of at least one sad sack from this area, who somehow gets tickets for the occasional match like this but 'supports' a Prem big team and likes to remind you of that when ever they get the weekly win. People like that are hardly the support that will cheer on City at the match, but will attend the odd first round home European game and act like an expert on all things football. Quite funny and shallow at the same time perhaps?  

I sit in the River End and whilst it was quiet from about 20 minutes until the pre-half time fracas, it was alright for the rest of the game.

I've seen a lot of people praising the s(**** support, perhaps that was from fans who sit nearer them, because I genuinely only heard two or three chants from them all game from where I sat. One was an admirable "Ipswich til I die" when they were 3-0 down, but other than that they were appallingly quiet.

I think moaning about the home team's chanting is forever the go-to for embittered away fans who have just witnessed defeat.

33 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I sit in the River End and whilst it was quiet from about 20 minutes until the pre-half time fracas, it was alright for the rest of the game.

I've seen a lot of people praising the s(**** support, perhaps that was from fans who sit nearer them, because I genuinely only heard two or three chants from them all game from where I sat. One was an admirable "Ipswich til I die" when they were 3-0 down, but other than that they were appallingly quiet.

I think moaning about the home team's chanting is forever the go-to for embittered away fans who have just witnessed defeat.

I was going to like this but have run out of reactions. I sit in the river end too and thought they were pretty quiet. I heard their history song twice in the first half and a bit more in the second. They really weren’t anything special.

The accusation that the other set of fans are quiet after derby matches is one of the most tedious ones around. They always say our fans were quiet and we always say theirs were after games at Portman Road. Nobody seems able to factor in acoustics and that when you are immersed in a noisy support you generally think you are out singing the opposition.

In fairness, in the mid section of the game we were a bit subdued yesterday because i think after the early goal everyone just thought we were going to smash them but we then didn't really play very well until after we got the second goal and, aside from Lambert's exploits, it was a bit of a slugfest with them just winning and wasting a succession of free kicks in semi dangerous areas. I was a bit disappointed with how much of the ball we let them have and whilst I think we had another gear if needed I felt they were too in the game and that we were a bit franctic with our passing and tried to play the killer ball too often. We missed Leitner and I think we miss him more at home when there is more onus on us/need for us to try and control the tempo whereas away Vrancic is perfect for us playing more on the break.

At the start of the game and for the last half an hour or so it was pretty noisy particularly given the kick off time.

10 hours ago, Sooty57 said:

Spent a while reading posts on TWTD forum tonight (more entertaining that watching the BAFTAs).

So you read the Daftas instead

And you don't get more daft than the average binner 👨‍🌾

I think the binners are rapidly becoming a Blackpool or Preston in footballing terms, but with the added noose around their neck that they simply cannot accept it. Both of those clubs had glorious histories, but neither of them exude the deluded Billy big bollox attitude that you find with 1p5wich. Leeds are a hard club to like, but you have to hand it to them that when they bang on about being a sleeping giant etc, at least you have to accept (despite their highly flakey support...) that they have a point. For the binners to claim the same is laughable to anyone in touch with modern football, yet they regularly claim just that.

If you want to claim such things, at some point you have to have something to back it up, but the binners have nothing. Even their play-off season they averaged about 10,000 less than us and they can't even sell out against us! They are a small club with a limited fanbase sandwiched between a much bigger club to the North, and much bigger clubs to the South in the London area, who overachieved for a few years a long long time ago. It's a bit like when you end up with the drunk pub bore who bangs on about his illustrious boxing career 40 years ago and you walk off sadly shaking your head thinking "and just look at what you've become now...."

Guess crowd noise can be heard differently in different parts of a ground, but what about right in the middle, on the pitch, where it really matters? Well Teemu has said the noise  from the stands was a bit louder than normal, so make of that what you will.

As for being s**t, whats that based on? One single derby day game where they looked  a half decent side in the middle of the pitch?  Thats all well and good but you need a good defence and offense, which we had and they plainly didnt.

And finally, as for club honours, nothing wrong in being proud of what a fans club achieved in a bygone era. Town did indeed achieve singular achievements that we did not, and we that they did not. But they are exactly that...a bygone era. The last couple decades, the Sky money and the Prem has altered, its now astonishingly difficult for any club outside the top sx of the Prem to win anything. Also not easy to get into the Prem and stay there, once again the majority of clubs in the Prem right now have been relegated from it to. But our club has achieved miracles just getting  into the Prem, time and again, also earned without any rich sugar daddys to.

So, s**t?..must be different kinds of the stuff. Ours is top, 60 points, heading for the Prem once again. Theirs is bottom, 18 points , and heading to L1.

Unfortunately I don't think their guff is some kind of 'playground taunts'. I think they genuinely believe this stuff. Remember 'mad' Mick mocking them for it shortly after he joined.

And bleating out to us on Sunday about them being Champions of Europe when actually they won the lesser cup - the Eufa cup.

Somehow there is a mindset that has them as some kind of 'national treasure' and being 'everyone's second favourite' club.

I can only wonder if some of those who first watched City in the early sixties would have seen the 1923 FA CUP at Wembley as having any relevance to them, or did those following City in the '59 cup run see the end of WW1 as some importance.... because both of them were 41 years years previous.

The reality is that those half witted young farmhands bleating out on Sunday will never have seen PL football at poorman road. Will only know of a near full house at the same when we turn up.

And the player who knocked in two against them on Sunday has almost scored as many goals as they have in total. So dream on you deluded farmhands - the evidence is all around you, and no amount of squeaking about a 'glorious history' will change that.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Unfortunately I don't think their guff is some kind of 'playground taunts'. I think they genuinely believe this stuff. Remember 'mad' Mick mocking them for it shortly after he joined.

And bleating out to us on Sunday about them being Champions of Europe when actually they won the lesser cup - the Eufa cup.

Somehow there is a mindset that has them as some kind of 'national treasure' and being 'everyone's second favourite' club.

The reality is that those half witted young farmhands bleating out on Sunday will never have seen PL football at poorman road. Will only know of a near full house at the same when we turn up.

As I mentioned on a previous thread. The continual hark back to a bygone era will probably keep them in the lower regions for quite a while. Weather that's struggling in the chumps or in league 1. 

It is important to celebrate historic success, but the large swathes of empty seats there show a number want change, not just in management. 

The association with the pub bore noisily telling everyone how good he use to be, is spot on

Sad really

I thought the atmosphere was pretty good overall. There was definitely an edge and an excitement beyond a regular fixture. The pre-match video and commentary was a nice touch.

I don't think we played particularly well and I was frustrated in the first half when we appeared to be slowing the game down at only 1-0. I felt that we had more gears and could have blown them away if we'd upped the tempo in the first half, but you can't argue with the final score.

Our players seemed relaxed and I'm sure Farke and the coaching staff had done a great job preparing them so they didn't get carried away by the occasion. A bit of a flat performance but 3 points and business as usual.

If I was an Ipswich fan I'd be more worried about my own team. I thought it was really telling how their players reacted after the game shaking each others hands and patting each other on the back. You wouldn't have thought they'd just lost 3 nil to their local rivals and were bottom of the league. They didn't even look resigned, they just didn't seem to care.

No.

The only real reason for replying to this thread is because i know the amount of Ipswich fans that come on this site to have a nosey. So before replying to this I just had a look at the TWTD forum. I can honestly say I've never seen more drivel and jealousy and biased bullsh*t in a long long time. Absolutely deluded a majority of them, i'm totally amazed at their love for Lambert, if someone dare to mention a good word about Norwich they are dismissed as being one of us.

To any Ipswich fan reading this with negativity towards Norwich, GET A GRIP you pathetic bunch of losers.

2 minutes ago, Commando Canary said:

GET A GRIP you pathetic bunch of losers.

I suspect that mat be the problem for most of them

that and forgetting to change hands

16 minutes ago, Commando Canary said:

Absolutely deluded a majority of them, i'm totally amazed at their love for Lambert, if someone dare to mention a good word about Norwich they are dismissed as being one of us.

That never happens on here does it?

If they lose on Weds their points total drops to a possible max of 42 points

which would mean that those below them could pick up enough points to relegate them by Weds night

Millwall to beat QPR

Wigan to pick up a draw at Hull

even Rotherham to beat Villa (perhaps not)

but they could be saved (for a few days) by us, naughty old Norwich), beating Reading

be good to see them relegated at poorman road on Sat

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

If they lose on Weds their points total drops to a possible max of 42 points

which would mean that those below them could pick up enough points to relegate them by Weds night

Millwall to beat QPR

Wigan to pick up a draw at Hull

even Rotherham to beat Villa (perhaps not)

but they could be saved (for a few days) by us, naughty old Norwich), beating Reading

be good to see them relegated at poorman road on Sat

So many permutations... it'd be great to see them relegated at Poorman Road, but also it'd be nice to see us promoted at Carrow Road. And because we can't both play at home at the same time, it's impossible for both to happen simultaneously.

I think my preferred option would be for us to go up after beating Sheffield Wednesday on Good Friday, and then the filth to go down at home on Easter Monday. That way we can have a little relegation party on the way home from Stoke.

Let's beat Reading and relegate them on Wednesday. I'm worried about what we do, not what happens to that bunch of history men!

there's every chance that they could be relegated  by Saturday as defeats against Brentford and Birmingham would have them down irrespective of what the others did. 

Any points they pick up over those games would see them down if each of Reading, Wigan and Millwall were to match those points.

I know it's pretty much a given that the paupers are down, but I suspect many at this end of the A140 are not aware how close it is now

Though, ironically, it is our counting the points to be won against Reading and Wigan that may well be a stay of execution for our impoverished neighbours 😊

4 minutes ago, Grando said:

Let's beat Reading and relegate them on Wednesday. I'm worried about what we do, not what happens to that bunch of history men!

check the thread title

that often determines the content of the comment