Sign in to follow this  
pete

Leitner injury update?

If Farke updated injury news on Leitner and Klose I missed it couldn't find info re Press conf before Ipswich.  Is there any chance we could see him on Wednesday doubt Vrancic will make it and we need the creativity of either of these two in the middle of the park.  Any info gratefully received.  

In the Friday press conference Farke said Leitner had just resumed training. So I would be surprised to see him in feature in the next couple of games.

So two of Trybull, Tettey and McLean is likely, if Vrancic is injured.

With Vrancic and Mo possibly missing out on Wednesday I would prefer Trybull and McLean, though I understand Farke may want to give  Tom a break on a short schedule.

The errant passes from Tettey drive me absolutely bonkers. Great steward for the team and deserves the respect he gets but I would like him more often than not in the "Subs". I believe he tends to kill our momentum going forward too often. I know, probably not a popular opinion.

Edited by BaltimoreBird

Tettey wasn't at his best today (not surprising after time out), and doesn't fit the passing role that Vrancic or Leitner bring.

Fine to switch between him and Trybull, but McLean or even Cantwell should start if Vrancic/Mo can't play instead of Tettey IMHO.

28 minutes ago, BaltimoreBird said:

With Vrancic and Mo possibly missing out on Wednesday I would prefer Trybull and McLean, though I understand Farke may want to give  Tom a break on a short schedule.

The errant passes from Tettey drive me absolutely bonkers. Great steward for the team and deserves the respect he gets but I would like him more often than not in the "Subs". I believe he tends to kill our momentum going forward too often. I know, probably not a popular opinion.

Alex was poor today but I suspect this was down to him missing a few games. It's noticeable that our players need a couple of games to get back up to the speed of the rest the team when they return - Trybull was a prime example when he first returned, but I think Mario & Marco's radar were both a bit off on their reinstatements.

I have to admit that you can see his limitations when playing Farkeball; we needed his physicality last season when things hadn't clicked but we may have moved up a level beyond him this year, which is bittersweet 'cause I feckin' love Alex Tettey.

• Like 1

McLean was natural replace today for Mario but Farke somehow always declined to introduce some other players than usual 14 15 players that he use.

Tettey and Trybull at home against bottom team was a bit too defensive imo.

At all today we feel not so comfortable against high pressure from very low class team.

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Alex was poor today but I suspect this was down to him missing a few games. It's noticeable that our players need a couple of games to get back up to the speed of the rest the team when they return - Trybull was a prime example when he first returned, but I think Mario & Marco's radar were both a bit off on their reinstatements.

I have to admit that you can see his limitations when playing Farkeball; we needed his physicality last season when things hadn't clicked but we may have moved up a level beyond him this year, which is bittersweet 'cause I feckin' love Alex Tettey.

I have to say - apart from giving returning players a game or two to get up to speed - I feel the complete opposite. I’ve always struggled to see what Tettey contributed to the team. His much vaunted passing rate seemed to me to largely consist of backward and/or difficult to control pokes that got us nowhere. But this season I’ve been delighted eat my words. He has always seemed to be in the right place, and to play the *right* pass, sometimes backwards but often into a great place to encourage attack. Along with his captaincy I think he’s been a POTS contender. I have no doubt that if he gets a reasonable run of games, he will be still be a contender at the end of the season. 

Edited by Nuff Said

I meant to add, I put the change in Tettey’s play, and the fact that the problem with his knees seems to have disappeared, down to our coaching team. When you consider that, the quality we’ve seen so early from the young players and the step up from last year, we clearly have an excellent back-room setup. Let’s hope we can sustain it for many years to come.

Tettey's renaissance this season IMO is down to his being able to play what for him is a more natural game. Because of the improved defensive play of the team as a whole, he has been liberated from the limited, purely defensive role he was obliged to take on last season (when, if you remember, we often had to compensate for defensive shortcomings elsewhere by having two very disciplined DFs patrolling in front of the back four). So much better has the team defending become, we have been able to replace the Tettey/Trybull midfield with a pairing of either Leitner or Vrancic with either Tettey or Trybull. The resulting swifter transitions and effective attacking play of this season (in which Tettey has played his part) is a direct result of this team-wide improvement in our play when out of possession. 

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to say - apart from giving returning players a game or two to get up to speed - I feel the complete opposite. I’ve always struggled to see what Tettey contributed to the team. His much vaunted passing rate seemed to me to largely consist of backward and/or difficult to control pokes that got us nowhere. But this season I’ve been delighted eat my words. He has always seemed to be in the right place, and to play the *right* pass, sometimes backwards but often into a great place to encourage attack. Along with his captaincy I think he’s been a POTS contender. I have no doubt that if he gets a reasonable run of games, he will be still be a contender at the end of the season. 

I'm more than willing to accept your opinion! Definitely a bit sub-par today, for whatever reason.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

If Leitner is still not ready and Vrancic is out, then play Buendia centrally.

Who would you play on the right wing that's going to cover as much areas defensively and attacking wise? That spot on the right wing is a difficult one to replace because Buendia is such an immaculate player there.

Leave Buendia out wide, he's dynamite there.  McLean, Tettey, Cantwell or Leitner are the choices to replace Vrancic.