Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

In defence of Stiepermann

Just written this elsewhere, but might be worthy of a thread, given what the commentator said on sky sports about him being embarrassing.

People need to look at a replay - the ipswich player walked past him and stood on his foot.  He tried to push him off and went down, appealing to the ref.   Standing on a player's foot with the blades they have on is no joke.

Look at a replay! 

• Like 1

Blame the premiership players as they fall over after the slightest contact. Stiepermann is playing a key role in that no 10 position but he often falls after any contact and pleads for a foul instead of just getting on with the game.

38 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Sorry, I was disappointed in his reaction and don't want to see our players act like that. 

I was disappointed with his reaction as well because the overaction/diving is IMO the worst feature of the modern game. But I must also confess to having some sympathy, especially this season where we have regularly seen some incredibly poor referees.

It shouldn't have to come to this but when you see players like Stipermann and Buendia (plus Vrancic on this occasion) being consistently fouled and the refs taking little to no action then the temptation to ham it up must be extreme.

Of course we want games to flow but the way most Championship refs go about it is IMO all wrong - far better is (if the foul/dive warrants it) produce a yellow card or two early on. This either stamps it out for the game or imposes greater punishment when you have a team who specifically and consistently target an opponent and are allowed to get away with it for most of the game. Tough tackling is a part of the game which we all enjoy, but the cynical targeting of a dangerous opponent (and diving) is not and should not be tolerated. If refs aren't capable of doing it, which in the Championship anyway they are clearly aren't, then VAR seems to be the only possible answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I was disappointed with his reaction as well because the overaction/diving is IMO the worst feature of the modern game. But I must also confess to having some sympathy, especially this season where we have regularly seen some incredibly poor referees.

It shouldn't have to come to this but when you see players like Stipermann and Buendia (plus Vrancic on this occasion) being consistently fouled and the refs taking little to no action then the temptation to ham it up must be extreme.

Of course we want games to flow but the way most Championship refs go about it is IMO all wrong - far better is (if the foul/dive warrants it) produce a yellow card or two early on. This either stamps it out for the game or imposes greater punishment when you have a team who specifically and consistently target an opponent and are allowed to get away with it for most of the game. Tough tackling is a part of the game which we all enjoy, but the cynical targeting of a dangerous opponent (and diving) is not and should not be tolerated. If refs aren't capable of doing it, which in the Championship anyway they are clearly aren't, then VAR seems to be the only possible answer.

Well we will get VAR next season 😉

• Like 1

With Il Pirata on this, these last two games he's embarrassed himself and us a tad.    No need to cry like a baby in a man's game and he needs to cut it out sharpish....    We were always going to struggle after last weeks Lord Mayors Show so to get the win was a great result.   Thought Stiepermann had a particular shocker today... no quality, silly fouls, too slow on the ball and lost possession constantly.      Hopefully back to our best on Wednesday but we could do with some changes if only to freshen it up a little.

Hope he is back to his best. Stiepi was sloppy today I thought. And Tettey looked very off the pace. It was a worry. 

But one good thing is some more steel in this team (the Leeds game made me think that) and maybe we've become more 'cute' if I can say that. For some fouls we've capitalised on shall I say.

There is a certain competitiveness there.

Thought he was poor today by his standards and he had a bad attitude for most of the game.

Think he's had 4 yellows now so he needs to calm down a bit.

Edited by Making Plans

Not his best day, he's done this kind of thing in a few recent games. There's no need for it really. If it's 1-0 in the last 5 minutes against a top 6 side, maybe as time wasting I'd get it, but at 2-0 up against the bottom side just speak to the ref rather than rolling around like a child

Well if Vrancic is out for any period of time, central midfield is something Farke needs to look at. I thought Stiepermann was poor today and that situation where he should have offloaded to Pukki was criminal. Looks like we will have Leitner back soon and McLean has to get involved soon surely? 

Stiepermann's biggest problem is his tendency to take one too many touches or hang onto the ball too long. I've lost count of the times I've shouted shoot or pass a second before he's tackled or runs into a dead end. However, it's a bit like the criticism of Krul - he does a huge amount for the team and if he was perfect he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

I think being 'cute' as sonyc put it is something we've been all season. Whether it's the way Buendia puts his body across the ball and invites the opposition player to push him over or how Leitner constantly complains to the ref throughout every game. Maybe it's the continental influence, but like it or not in the modern game it's normal that players will go down if they believe they are fouled and a free kick would be to their advantage.

Stiepermann is so central to our play he has become a marked man in every game. His size is not an excuse for showing leniency towards the constant kicking he is subjected to (ditto Leitner). I'm not surprised at all that both are seemingly fed up with it and resort to showing their frustration.

40 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

If this was an opposition player we’d all be condemning him.

Exactly. Still love him but it's ok to say it was a bit embarrassing.

It wasn't embarrassing. It wasn't a dive, it wasn't as if he hadn't been touched. Have you any idea what the pain level of having the full weight football boot blades on the top of your foot is?

Intentional off the ball foul. The Ipswich player should have been booked.

Edited by lake district canary

I really like him, but his problem is, he is unable to pass with his right foot, and that was the reason for the pass which should have led to a goal. If he was as good with both feet, he probably would not be playing for us.

If you take a totally neutral view I think our continental players certainly make the most of every tackle they receive, as it is on the team I love then happy days but opposition teams and fans do not appreciate it. Stiep's reaction was over the top but I do think there was contact but not enough for him to fall over and roll about as though he had been shot but that is modern football sadly. Still a great three points against the binners 

Marko overreacted last weeks and become a diver/chater at times who is normal for continental players but in England is shame to keep this aspect on his game.

I like Stiepermann and thinks he adds a lot in the Championship.  I'm not convinced he's a Premiership player though.

Edited by wooster

I'm with Lakey. It must have been painful.

And if refs don't give fouls unless someone goes down it's not the players who are embarrassing 

13 hours ago, wooster said:

I like Stiepermann and thinks he adds a lot in the Championship.  I'm not convinced he's a Premiership player though.

Many said this about a certain Grant Holt... They didn't think he'd cut it in the Championship and then they had doubts over his Prem credentials too. Stiepi is crucial to the way we play and I feel that if we do make the promised land he may surprise one or two of us.

I think it was embarrassing and hope Farke has a quiet word. He generally had a pretty below par game on Sunday in my view with some poor decision making at key moments but its all relative, he's still an important player in our set up and he wasn;t bad, just not up to his usual standards. Sure he will be back on song in the away games this week when we should get a bit more space to play on the break. 

There are times when he frustrates the hell out of me.  He carries the ball into space very well but then seems to miss the opportunity to play a pass to someone in a better position.  He did that 3 or 4 times yesterday.  Having said that, he is crucial to the way we play and especially when the opposition makes Krul play a long kick/pass.

Re the standing on his foot, it was a massive unnecessary over reaction, but he did get trodden on.

There was one reason, and one reason only why Chalobah stepped on Stiepermann's foot - he was hoping to wind him up so that Stiepermann pushed him/hit him and got booked or sent off. In those circumstances I would far rather that Stiepermann did what he did rather than doing what Chalobah wanted him to do!