Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Lambert feels he is underappreciated

Recommended Posts

He reels off a list from the squad with which he won the 1997 Champions League: Möller, Riedle, Sammer, Chapuisat, Sousa, Kohler. “I’m pretty sure that if you ask anyone how vital I was to them, they’d say I was really important. I won things there and it made me so unbelievably focused and self‑confident. Never arrogant.

 

 

Even if he does say so himself...

Lambert will always be a legend here. The most exciting of times for Norwich fans, after the club seemed to be plumbing new depths.

But that he doesnt understand why he doesnt get a good reception is quite quite special.

I hope we absolutely slaughter them tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear oh dear. You'd never hear from the likes of Guardiola reeling off how important he was to his teams(s). Lambert is the Championship version of Mourinho, in trying to tell people how great he was

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason why Lambert has, on the whole, been poorly received upon his returns to FCR is down to his behaviour upon his return. If I recall, his first return was the 4-1 League Cup QF defeat in which he was overly animated on the touchline. In what was a clear 'show' for the benefit of our board, I remember with 5 minutes to go Lambert high fiving every single person in the Villa dugout. That was the moment where I lost respect because he was clearly overegging the win to wind up the board/the fans. If he had shown respect to the fans on his return he would always have got a good reception but he chose not to.

It probably didn't help that he kept coming to FCR and winning either. In fact, when he went to Wolves and they came here and lost, 3-1 I think to an Alex Neil side, I quite clearly remember after he was walking back from the away fans across the pitch that there was polite applause from the Barclay, which he acknowledged with a wave. He conveniently ignores that in his recent interviews on the subject which is again disappointing. 

I think most of us would have liked to have given him a great reception for what he did here but unfortunately his behaviour has tainted the relationship with the fans. His move to 1p5wich is the last straw toward any reconciliation.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something really quite romantic about this in a strange sort of way: the guy that breathed life into Norwich in its darkest hour abandons them for another club, has a terrible time with the new club, drifts a bit with other clubs, then finally settles down with the first club's biggest rivals in their darkest hour. 

Maybe I'm just weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Dear oh dear. You'd never hear from the likes of Guardiola reeling off how important he was to his teams(s). Lambert is the Championship version of Mourinho, in trying to tell people how great he was

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lambert is doing what Lambert does, making this all about himself. As a fan I admit it does irk me... However I fully believe this stuff means nothing to Farke and his players.

As fans we need to get behind the team on Sunday, focus on helping them get 3 points, not get dragged into the Lambert sideshow. He wins that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

He reels off a list from the squad with which he won the 1997 Champions League: Möller, Riedle, Sammer, Chapuisat, Sousa, Kohler. “I’m pretty sure that if you ask anyone how vital I was to them, they’d say I was really important. I won things there and it made me so unbelievably focused and self‑confident. Never arrogant.

It's odd because I heard him talk on being in that Borussia Dortmund team at a breakfast event (organized by the club) in the middle of our Championship promotion season, and at the time he totally downplayed his contribution, and just felt fortunate to have played with such great players. Maybe his ego has taken a subsequent bashing, forcing him to revisit his opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see him walking out onto the pitch just to get a reaction, I hope we just ignore him, get the 3 points and go clear at the top. We can celebrate our win, celebrate 10 years unbeaten, give there support (such as it is) some stick,  that should be enough, Lambert isn't important anymore, that's why he's managing a Team at the bottom of the League. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's really just playing the media to take the spotlight off the game. Try and make it all about himself so that the game is a bit of an afterthought. I would too in his shoes, if the alternative was putting the spotlight firmly on the football. It's all just mind games and distractions. Can't see it having much impact on Farke or the team to be fair, we'll just do what we normally do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when Paul Lambert talks about ‘needing a break’, it was reference to when he finished at Villa, not us. He and the team of staff and players did a great job here in a golden period for us, but he of all people should know moving to Ip****e was never going to help heal the manner of his exit here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

........... he said he felt he’d taken the club as far as he could.....................

....................getting the club into the Prem and keeping it there is a miracle and is the foundation everything else is built on right now. 

Without that promotion Norwich might not have a Cat One academy anymore, without that promotion there would have been no Maddison, without that promotion the good things happening now wouldn’t be. He turned Norwich from being a club knocking around in the mid-table of the Championship to being a club player that can compete at the top of the table. 

Saying he felt he'd taken the club as far as he could may be true, but is quite compatible with being true for less than admirable reasons -- like running away from the even more challenging task ahead of him in the following season. Nor does the Burnley episode exactly fit with this particular spin regarding his departure. 

Furthermore, if getting us into the Prem and keeping us there was "a miracle", so was Hughton's keeping us there for a second season in the face of all the challenges Lambert preferred to opt out of, and Hughton's achievement was no less crucial in the chain of events which made all the subsequent positive developments, like the Cat One academy, possible.

Edited by westcoastcanary
Typo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lambert years were momentus, no doubt - and he has to be given credit for that, but the way things have gone for him since then have been a bit sad to watch.   It would have been great to see him actually do well at another club and instigate the same kind of togetherness and focus that we had at Norwich in those years, but he couldn't do it at Villa - they were the wrong sort of club for his attributes and to be fair most of them are - and he hasn't excelled since.  

His strength at Norwich was having the people around to support him in what he wanted to do, owners who were happy to let him build how he wanted to and players who would give everything for him - the same attributes we now seem to have as a club.  I don't think he has had that anywhere else. 

Does he have supportive owners now? Has he got the right support team around him?  Has he himself got real belief in what he is doing? I think that is all doubtful. 

A win for us tomorrow would be fantastic for us and for our season - the fact that it is Ipswich and Lambert is actually not important in the scheme of things - three points is all that matters to keep our momentum going. Get the three points, then Lambert and his team can skulk off back to Ipswich and do whatever they are going to do for the rest of the season - and we can look to push on with what really matters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

 

A win for us tomorrow would be fantastic for us and for our season - the fact that it is Ipswich and Lambert is actually not important in the scheme of things - three points is all that matters to keep our momentum going. Get the three points, then Lambert and his team can skulk off back to Ipswich and do whatever they are going to do for the rest of the season - and we can look to push on with what really matters.

This. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

A win for us tomorrow would be fantastic for us and for our season - the fact that it is Ipswich and Lambert is actually not important in the scheme of things - three points is all that matters to keep our momentum going. Get the three points, then Lambert and his team can skulk off back to Ipswich and do whatever they are going to do for the rest of the season - and we can look to push on with what really matters.

It’s fine to say that but my heart tells me otherwise.

Yes it’s irrational, yes it should be all about the 3 points and getting back to the top of the league....

But this is the derby, it’s City vs 1p5wich and it really is important. It’s what I was brought up to believe, it’s just part of who I am. This is an important game. It’s foolish to say otherwise.

I actually wish I didn’t feel this way. I don’t want to be this tense and passionate about one game of football , it’s really not worth it in the grand scheme of things.

But I can’t help it, I hope we stuff them

OTBC

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, king canary said:

I think this point is often missed- the debt free, sustainable model is built on the two promotions he led us to. I've seen people saying he didn't leave a legacy here which is complete nonsense.

How is the debt free, sustainable model built on two promotions? You seem to overlook the fact that the board were far more responsible for that than given credit for. Lambert was backed all the way by the board, and then threw his teddy out the prank. Under appreciated my a**e. He has the biggest chip on his shoulder one could imagine, and his demise has followed because of it, He threw Culverhouse and Karsa to the bear pit at Villa, didn’t back them at all, and what has followed serves him right! He isn’t, and never was a Prima Donna. His record since leaving city speaks for itself, and there isn’t many of our country cousins feeling the love for sure, which might even become worse for him come Sunday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a fair wind that started blowing in the club's favour after a few seasons of reverse.

Lambert was right at the time.

Culverhouse and others behind the scene turned out to be an excellent combination.

He inherited decent players like Hoolahan and others, he was supported by the board and  given decent money considering  and used it wisely. 

And OH! Grant Holt ... I personally have as much respect for Holt's contribution to that unique period of success as I do for anybody else involved in it.

Finally the support was massive and an average of 24,500 per game for a season in league one is something to be proud of, even considering our successes. It gave the board confidence to spend when they could.

A combination of things, but a series of serendipitous happenings in contrast to the carefully thought out planning (the so-called German way with excellent and inexpensive signings replacing the old or valuable players we had. All backed up by a manager with a carefully defined system who gives the impression of being thorough to the minutest detail.)

Paul  (everything at the club is "crap" Lambert) has achieved little of note since and his tenure at Villa Park, in particular, is considered a disaster by many Villains.)

Chris Hughton has led Brighton to great success and even Wee Alex is seemingly doing a decent job at PNE. All Lambert has achieved at ITFC is a public relations coup by saying  the right things, sucking up to their self-indulgence concerning their 'istory,' and by exhibiting  a positive attitude to the point of risibility.

His results are no better, or worse, than his predecessor's.

Some down the road are beginning to doubt the man, most seem continually mesmerised.

 

Oh how I am grateful for Paul Lambert's connection with NCFC. What City fan wouldn't be?

His biggest achievement in the game since has been to  create an image of a difficult, self-important, petty and disagreeable man who is difficult to like and does not seem to be true to his word. Watch out binners, it could be that you are being conned.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It was a fair wind that started blowing in the club's favour after a few seasons of reverse.

Lambert was right at the time.

Culverhouse and others behind the scene turned out to be an excellent combination.

He inherited decent players like Hoolahan and others, he was supported by the board and  given decent money considering  and used it wisely. 

And OH! Grant Holt ... I personally have as much respect for Holt's contribution to that unique period of success as I do for anybody else involved in it.

Finally the support was massive and an average of 24,500 per game for a season in league one is something to be proud of, even considering our successes. It gave the board confidence to spend when they could.

A combination of things, but a series of serendipitous happenings in contrast to the carefully thought out planning (the so-called German way with excellent and inexpensive signings replacing the old or valuable players we had. All backed up by a manager with a carefully defined system who gives the impression of being thorough to the minutest detail.)

Paul  (everything at the club is "crap" Lambert) has achieved little of note since and his tenure at Villa Park, in particular, is considered a disaster by many Villains.)

Chris Hughton has led Brighton to great success and even Wee Alex is seemingly doing a decent job at PNE. All Lambert has achieved at ITFC is a public relations coup by saying  the right things, sucking up to their self-indulgence concerning their 'istory,' and by exhibiting  a positive attitude to the point of risibility.

His results are no better, or worse, than his predecessor's.

Some down the road are beginning to doubt the man, most seem continually mesmerised.

 

Oh how I am grateful for Paul Lambert's connection with NCFC. What City fan wouldn't be?

His biggest achievement in the game since has been to  create an image of a difficult, self-important, petty and disagreeable man who is difficult to like and does not seem to be true to his word. Watch out binners, it could be that you are being conned.

Great post Broadstairs, spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Orly said:

He's lucky he's not "under-arrest" instead.

He''s lucky the police were there to stop him getting a kicking if anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am grateful for what happened while he was manager but he has no class. He has little ability either by the looks of it and maybe we got him on a good day.

To be honest, one of the great reasons for our success under him was Grant Holt and Lambert didn't buy him.

Hopefully we will be two divisions apart next season and that will be it. And who knows, now he has a worse record than Hurst, he may be out of a job again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its hard to tell how much is honest and how much is playing to his new audience. You think about it, the whole narrative of a grudge against the club for supposed slights against him makes his transition to Ipswich easier. Maybe he has even convinced himself to believe it  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think we will be seeing him back at Carrow Road for a while. ( nor 1p5wich  for that matter)

As Farke infers the man has no class.

Its a strange type of character trait to want people to hate you, which is what Lambert appears to have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, his time here gave us 2 promotions, hauling us from L1 to Prem, exciting times after we had hit the proverbial bottom in grand style  in a 7-1 defeat. He will always be appreciated for what he accomplished here but once he and the club were severed and he went to Villa, then the Lambert era became history, and a glorious history it was.

What hes done since then i have zero interest in, but i can see he has shaped his players into some kind of decent, workmanlike team. But as was said elsewhere in this post, his L1 season with us was with Championship players, he will go down with Town with a solid team of L1 players, so will be more of a challenge for him at Portaloo next season. As far as it goes, i would urge Town fans to keep faith in PL, maybe they have a more pressing need to fire their dissents at Evans.

Who cares though, Town's problems run much deeper than PL. He IS history to us, our club, in less than 2 years,   has turned itself upside down and is thriving. Its the here and now, its good, its Farke Life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×