Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Lambert feels he is underappreciated

Lambert left for Aston Villa in 2012 and the Scot reiterated ahead of his latest return he feels his achievements have not been fully appreciated.

“It might feel different if I had gone back to Norwich and people were like, ‘How are you doing Paul?’ Ever since I went back there has been nothing,” he said. “I gave Norwich everything. For three years. I was tired, I needed a break.

Seriously? Is he for real? 

We worshipped the ground 'The Messiah' walked on. Does he really not understand that when you leave a club the way he did the fans feel betrayed?

Our idolism of him. Our complete faith. The fact he could do no wrong in our eyes. All meant absolutely nothing to him when another club came calling.

Did the Villa fans worship you Paul? Has any club you've been at since loved you the way we did?

At Norwich you were seen as a winner. You gave all that up. And Im not sure what for.

You reap what you sow

• Like 2

To be fair to Lambert, the Chairman disliked him so much he didn't speak to him for his last 2 year here Lambert may not be the nicest man you'll ever meet but that is disgraceful bearing in mind his achievements with us. 

It’s not like he did anything particularly wrong in the way he left Norwich. 

He was offered another job, at a bigger club, and went for it. I bare him no ill will for doing so - especially as he said he felt he’d taken the club as far as he could. Ultimately his move didn’t work out, but that is football. 

If I was going tomorrow I’d applaud Lambert. Norwich were in real trouble before he came in and under his management the club completely turned itself around. 

The League One promotion is one thing, which as he admits wasn’t the hardest thing to achieve, but getting the club into the Prem and keeping it there is a miracle and is the foundation everything else is built on right now. 

Without that promotion Norwich might not have a Cat One academy anymore, without that promotion there would have been no Maddison, without that promotion the good things happening now wouldn’t be. He turned Norwich from being a club knocking around in the mid-table of the Championship to being a club player that can compete at the top of the table. 

Yeah, he left - but that’s fooball and his achievements should not be forgotten. It is strange that he’s never really been given that applause that most successful returning managers and players get. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The man’s ego is unbelievable. It’s a two way street, he showed his appreciation for our club when he through his little tantrums, pretending he was going to leave for Burnley, then walking out as he did for the mighty villa.

things might have been different, Paul - how’s it going by the way - if you showed a little respect from your side, although I’m not sure you could ever be that way, as the chip on your shoulder grows by the day it seems.

im sure, beyond football you’re a decent bloke, but you come across as a thoroughly horrible little man. Quite why you’d want people to think of you like that is anyone’s guess. 

Anyway, thank you for giving your all for us for three years you little demigod you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I literally had a Tshirt custom printed with a stencil of his face and the words "Paul Lambert.... He's like God.... but better" for the promotion parade when we went up to the Prem. Underappreciated my ****, he's just sour he's never been successful anywhere else.

You want to be respected and appreciated after you leave, then don't leave under a cloud and sue the club for millions. Not to mention poaching all the coaching staff too (although somewhat inevitable). He said when he was unveiled as Villa manager the fans had been brilliant for him whilst he was manager and accepted some would hate him for leaving.

Pathetic to start crying about it years later after you joined the club's bitter rivals, in addition to the whole cloud over his departure.

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The League One promotion is one thing, which as he admits wasn’t the hardest thing to achieve, but getting the club into the Prem and keeping it there is a miracle and is the foundation everything else is built on right now. 

Without that promotion Norwich might not have a Cat One academy anymore, without that promotion there would have been no Maddison, without that promotion the good things happening now wouldn’t be. He turned Norwich from being a club knocking around in the mid-table of the Championship to being a club player that can compete at the top of the table. 

I think this point is often missed- the debt free, sustainable model is built on the two promotions he led us to. I've seen people saying he didn't leave a legacy here which is complete nonsense.

He was appreciated when he was here and he didn't leave in the best way he could.

However I think he's right he's under-appreciated since he left. You can barely mention him without someone claiming 'he was lucky to have Holt and Wes' or 'it was all Culverhouse really.' 

Just now, alex_ncfc said:

He needed a break yet he went straight from us to Villa? 😂

Yeah, that part makes absolutely no sense to be fair.

I think the majority of fans appreciate what he done here. As another poster has said what we have now and everything since was built on his success. But time moves on and he was very quick to as well, at the first opportunity. We now find ourselves in an incredibly exciting time with the real possibility of promotion whilst his managerial career is all but finished. Thanks for what you did Paul but instead of dwelling on how under appreciated you are maybe look back and admit you made a shocking career choice

This thread is not about what he achieved whilst here. We all know, and recognise that. It's about his comment about 'appreciation' and the comment about needing a break. People need to acknowledge and respect that he summoned enough energy  to get himself to Villa that day, despite being tired..............

Tho to be fair, he said himself we had championship players in league one so they just needed organising which I think Culverhouse did and given belief which is Lamberts skill. So maybe we over appreciated what he achieved.

I still think he was and still is respected, he was pretty much ignored on his first return with villa and he jumped on the pitch clenched fist when they scored, he turned everything sour not us.

He is just a less gammon Chris Wilder now..

6 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Tho to be fair, he said himself we had championship players in league one so they just needed organising which I think Culverhouse did and given belief which is Lamberts skill. So maybe we over appreciated what he achieved.

Like clockwork

He had an issue with the management of our club (or part of it anyway), so got his move to a 'brighter and better place' as was his wish.

However, his mistake was making a public show of defiance, a sort of 'up yours' when he returned and won here. This was of course only towards the club management but he should have known his antics would have a deeper impact on the support. Especially as they were relatively 'neutral' towards him that day. No one particularly gave him too much grief.

Truthfully, I do not think he really gives a monkeys about NCFC, or Colchester or any of the clubs he was successful at. Otherwise he perhaps would have behaved differently when returning to each, despite orchestrating a win?

Ho hum......

Yes it’s very simple, he should have shown respect when he came  back and won with villa but he didn’t. That soured things and that’s not something that’s easy to patch up.

he has to accept that the relationship between him and the city fans was damaged by that and that’s why he doesn’t get the sort of welcome he wants when he comes back now .

• Like 1

There's some nonsense on here. While it's true that the relationship between Bowkett and Lambert had broken down to claim Bowkett didn't speak to him for three years is ridiculous. Lambert wasn't even here for three years. And in any case didn't Lambert phone him from Aston Villa's carpark? Also the link between the board and manager would have been McNally. We later had the our club suing Villa while Lambert sued our club. But this is all personal and business stuff.

As far as football is concerned I will remember Lambert for what was probably our best ever three consecutive seasons. It was a magical time and can't be argued that it helped pave the way to what we have now. He has my respect and gratitude for that. However that is a historical respect and gratitude.

As a returning manager I have no respect for him. He's shown us no respect whatsoever since returning and making a point of over celebrating goals and wins against at Carrow Road. These actions deserve no respect. Could anyone imagine James Madison returning with Leicester, scoring in a win and over celebrating in the faces of our fans? Absolutely not because even as a young man he had way more class. Lambert has none.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 13

44 minutes ago, king canary said:

Like clockwork

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. He was over appreciated.. we called him God and the messiah which he clearly wasn't.. I think most people realise culverhouse did most coaching ie organisation, but he would have been a **** manager himself because he doesn't have the same man management skills of Lambert son I'm not claiming he was all the brains behind it..it's like cough without Taylor, compare what they achieved together, and individually.

Lambert was great for us but he didn't single handedly save us, it was the whole club at the time pulling in one direction best demonstrated by the winner v Millwall,  Fans support and belief til the end+mcnally+lambert+holt=win 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. He was over appreciated.. we called him God and the messiah which he clearly wasn't.. I think most people realise culverhouse did most coaching ie organisation, but he would have been a **** manager himself because he doesn't have the same man management skills of Lambert son I'm not claiming he was all the brains behind it..it's like cough without Taylor, compare what they achieved together, and individually.

Lambert was great for us but he didn't single handedly save us, it was the whole club at the time pulling in one direction best demonstrated by the winner v Millwall,  Fans support and belief til the end+mcnally+lambert+holt=win 

I don't disagree about him not doing it single handedly but that is true of any football manager. Yet I don't remember anyone claiming that Worthy's promotion was all down to Doug Livermore or similar- it is an argument only ever used to play down what Lambert did.

I guess where we'll never agree is that I think it isn't really possible to over appreciate a manager who takes your team from basically the bottom of League One to 12th in the Premier League in 3 seasons, thus giving us a chance to reset our finances and set us up for future success. 

I'm not unbiased in all of this. My judgement of a manager is based on a pretty simple question usually 'how much did I enjoy going to games under him?' And those three seasons were some of the most enjoyable I've had as a Norwich fan.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

There's some nonsense on here. While it's true that the relationship between Bowkett and Lambert had broken down to claim Bowkett didn't speak to him for three years is ridiculous. Lambert wasn't even here for three years. And in any case didn't Lambert phone him from Aston Villa's carpark? Also the link between the board and manager would have been McNally. We later had the our club suing Villa while Lambert sued our club. But this is all personal and business stuff.

As far as football is concerned I will remember Lambert for what was probably our best ever three consecutive seasons. It was a magical time and can't be argued that it helped pave the way to what we have now. He has my respect and gratitude for that. However that is a historical respect and gratitude.

As a returning manager I have no respect for him. He's shown us no respect whatsoever since returning and making a point of over celebrating goals and wins against at Carrow Road. These actions deserve no respect. Could anyone imagine James Madison returning with Leicester, scoring in a win and over celebrating in the faces of our fans? Absolutely not because even as a young man he had way more class. Lambert has none.

Yep I agree with all of that! The last 10 years for us have been amazing and Lambert - with others - was key in getting that kicked off.

his legacy was simply to leave us in the Prem. not many managers have done that for us.

Agree with Nutty & ICF here. You earn and build trust but it often takes something small to lose it. He was graceless on his return ....many fans paid good money in supporting his team over those 3 years.

Alex Neil and Chris Hughton on the other hand have been gentlemanly when they've returned. That kind of response deserves respect.

You get what you give in life Paul!

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't disagree about him not doing it single handedly but that is true of any football manager. Yet I don't remember anyone claiming that Worthy's promotion was all down to Doug Livermore or similar- it is an argument only ever used to play down what Lambert did.

I guess where we'll never agree is that I think it isn't really possible to over appreciate a manager who takes your team from basically the bottom of League One to 12th in the Premier League in 3 seasons, thus giving us a chance to reset our finances and set us up for future success. 

I'm not unbiased in all of this. My judgement of a manager is based on a pretty simple question usually 'how much did I enjoy going to games under him?' And those three seasons were some of the most enjoyable I've had as a Norwich fan.

He's manufacturing a grievance.

Made the wrong decision and wants to blame others for his own mistake.

• Like 1

This is partly about class - which Lambert has shown that he lacks, and also about his statement that "I'd taken Norwich as far as I could", which to me means that he couldn't see how he was going to keep us up for a second season. Add in to that the fact that he already had Benteke in his sights and it all adds up to a sour taste in my mouth.

I think he wants to be booed. let's just ignore him and sing Daniel's name instead. Indifference is the true opposite to love.

• Like 1

He felt underappreciated?......Tomorrow he'll feel underthecosh......Bish bash bosh!.....

That's me done.....now off out for some wine, swimming and pete tong......