Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Nelson speaks

OLIVEIRA ISSUES HONEST VERDICT ON ASTON VILLA’S MINGS STAMP AND QUESTIONS FA’S DECISION

2019-02-02T165735Z_55506221_RC1D0B462260
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The incident involving Reading’s Nelson Oliveira and Aston Villa’s Tyrone Mings has been the hot topic in the media recently, especially the outcome. 

Oliveira appeared to have his head stamped on by Mings and suffered a number of serious looking cuts to his head, including a broken nose in four places which is causing him breathing difficulties.

But the FA aren’t expected to even investigate the incident, with the referee apparently seeing the stamp, which means that it can’t be looked into further.

In an interview with the Reading Chronicle, Oliveira has raised questions to the FA as to whether it wouldn’t have been looked into if it was in the Premier League.

“If the same thing happened to Harry Kane what would happen? How would the FA look at it when his career could have been over? 

Mings has been the subject of a previous similar incident and Oliveira insists that the defender could have avoided stamping on his head

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The incident involving Reading’s Nelson Oliveira and Aston Villa’s Tyrone Mings has been the hot topic in the media recently, especially the outcome. 

Oliveira appeared to have his head stamped on by Mings and suffered a number of serious looking cuts to his head, including a broken nose in four places which is causing him breathing difficulties.

But the FA aren’t expected to even investigate the incident, with the referee apparently seeing the stamp, which means that it can’t be looked into further.

In an interview with the Reading Chronicle, Oliveira has raised questions to the FA as to whether it wouldn’t have been looked into if it was in the Premier League.

“If the same thing happened to Harry Kane what would happen? How would the FA look at it when his career could have been over? 

Mings has been the subject of a previous similar incident and Oliveira insists that the defender could have avoided stamping on his head.

ditorial - The 3 best EFL performers so far this se00:00

“In the last two years he has stamped on the head of two players. The FA need to look at that

“I’m not saying he (Mings) did it on purpose but he could have avoided me 100 per cent.

“He texted me to apologise. At the time I hadn’t seen the video.

“Football is an aggressive game but that is not football. It could have been much worse, I could be blind.”

It’s unlikely that Oliveira is going to be involved for the Royals this weekend when they take on Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough, but he could be in line to feature in the near future, providing he gets a protective face mask fitted.

The Verdict: 

It’s a joke that this incident hasn’t been reviewed by the FA.

There is clear intent by Mings, and he makes no attempt whatsoever to avoid Oliveira, and could have caused him serious injury and longer-term problems.

What message is this sending out to the younger generation if you can get away with this?

All over the media now. Gomes wants Mings punished.

Gomes said: 'Our media department has a very good picture that clearly shows him looking down before he steps on Nelson's face. There is no doubt it's intentional.

I think this one's not going away too soon.

" but he could have avoided me 100 per cent. "

Which, I would argue, suggests intent ie it was deliberate

I cannot see him getting a too friendly welcome around the grounds over the next 16 games

He shows he shortens his stride whilst at full pelt to stamp on Nelson's face.

Deliberate action, when easier to avoid. 

As mentioned, if the victim here was a Mr H Kane, the internet would have blown up!

• Like 1

Frankly, it wouldn't be surprising if, in the absence of an investigation by the FA or, indeed, criminal charges, Oliveira and Reading FC don't consider civil action i.e. taking into account detailed footage (!) of the incident itself, previous incidents, the Ipswich/City rivalry/hostility connection and, therefore, based upon the balance of probabilities. I have to say that whenever I have heard "awfully sorry" in the past, it has always been delivered as an insincere, sarcastic aplogy

The video footage that Reading has from the front clearly shows Mings look.

I’m hoping he didn’t mean to do that much damage but the intent was clearly there for all to see. Ex-pro’s and Ex-refs have all said it, seems it’s only people associated with Villa or Villa fans that don’t think it was intentional; oh other than the idiots at the FA 🤦🏻‍♂️

I see Dean Smith is standing by his man (sorry Tammy). I can't see how this can improve Villa's chances of passing us anytime soon. Which is good news for my pledge with my buddy Tilly🙃

I popped over to their fans forum to see what they think and it’s a mixture of supporting him and those that now think he’s some kind of enforcer on the pitch.

They can’t wait for golden b0ll0cks Grealish to get back so Tyrone can be his minder 😂

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I see Dean Smith is standing by his man (sorry Tammy). I can't see how this can improve Villa's chances of passing us anytime soon. Which is good news for my pledge with my buddy Tilly🙃

I don't see why Dean Smith should say sorry to Tammy Abraham......🙃

• Haha 1

I felt at the time that it was intended, the Ref ducked out of it by saying that he didn't see it, allowing the football authorities to play their 'no further action ' card. The whole thing stinks, Oli is right to challenge the authorities on this, I hope it's dealt with by the law of the land, rather than the snowflakes running football. 

Unfortunately sr the ref says he did see it as he clearly waved play on, which is exactly why the football authorities can "play their no further action card".

The more I see it the more I do think it looks like he leaves his leg in, he almost leaves his leg trailing to get him. Possibly “only” meant to rake him and give him a little scratch but clearly ended up a lot worse.

thankfully seems like Oliveira is pretty much alright though

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Mings is a wrong'un

Undoubtedly.

And Villa knew this when they brought him in. It now reflects on them. Could anyone honestly see us making such a signing? 

Edited by nutty nigel
Thicko

6 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Very similar to Woy Hodgson standing up for Tamas when he whacked James Vaughan in the face in 2011(and should have been a pen). According to Woy "I've seen it, it's obviously accidental". Wonder why the FA didn't agree with him - they awarded Tamas a retrospective 3 game ban!!

It's about time that managers had the testicular fortitude to stand up and call out their own players when they perform such horrific acts.

As for Woy, ever since that incident I have never been able to respect him.

7 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Reading's Manager has piled in now,  this isn't going away. 

And it should not go away.

Mings is 25 years old?

He has another 8-10 years of stamping on heads if not swiftly and meaningfully dealt with. 

Next time it may be Harry (or another darling of the game). There would be action then!

I know it's Talk sport and they're always sensationalising things, but Perry Groves said this morning that he's 99.9% sure that it was deliberate and that he played professional football for over 15 years without standing on an opponent's head - deliberately or accidentally.  Somehow, Mings has managed it twice in two years.  

Unfortunately, having made their statement, I doubt the EFL and FA will do or say any more about the incident.  As always, they'll back the ref, (who said he saw it and decided it wasn't deliberate), otherwise it makes them look incompetent.

I'm sure it'd be far more prominent and all over the news if it'd happened to Kane, Salah, Aguero etc.

Looking at the incident from that different angle and in slow motion is like watching VAR and gives you a closer view for sure. The Reading boss looked quite upset about it. I can see a civil action for sure reading between the lines of that interview.

Wonder what might have happened for Muscat had slow motion replays and such close scrutiny and high quality pictures had been possible in his days?

18 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Unfortunately sr the ref says he did see it as he clearly waved play on, which is exactly why the football authorities can "play their no further action card".

Surely he’s waving play on as he didn’t believe it was an original foul (which there wasn’t) but he’s not waving on whether there was a stamp or not?!

If you play football, tackle someone strongly and make contact with an ankle or something which results in a serious injury, that's part of the game, as long as you weren't intending to injure. Putting your foot on someone's head when you could have avoided it is something else, a different level all together.  Maybe didn't intend serious injury, but it doesn't matter - his apparent intentional action did cause a serious injury and he should surely have to answer for it.  We can all understand an incident if it is not intended, but the intention is the key - in this case the intention looks clear.

The efl/fa should do something about this - if an alleged assault took place then it should be answered to. If they can't or won't then civil action is the next step.

Edited by lake district canary

As soon as the Ref saw the mess on Nelson's face, he should have thought that something wan't 'right', whether he originally believed he saw nothing untoward (the Ref was on the 'wrong' side to see where Mings foot landed, but that would have been quickly changed once he saw the claret)

The ref should have had the gumption to say that he didn't see anything at the time (he can't see EVERYTHING) and then he would have been in the clear for it to be referred at a later time. 

I think you're spot on LDC.  An accidential contact is one thing, a deliberate foul is another, but a deliberate assault with intent to injure - which let's face it, is what this was - is something else altogether and you wouldn't be surprised if they do bring a civil claim if nothing else happens.

I don't know anything about civil actions, but if Mings says he didn't mean to do it, and is backed up by the EFL not looking at it any further, what else can can happen via the civil action?  Only Mings knows whether he meant to do it & he's not going to change his story now.

21 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I don't know anything about civil actions, but if Mings says he didn't mean to do it, and is backed up by the EFL not looking at it any further, what else can can happen via the civil action?  Only Mings knows whether he meant to do it & he's not going to change his story now.

As I understand it a  civil action has much lower thresholds of proof than a criminal one. Given the Reading video & Mings' previous actions I wouldn't be surprised if there could be a case to answer.

If it happened it would involve lots of appeals (if proved) & doubtless huge costs. I don't know if anyone bringing a suit would be prepared to take the risk.

If it happened it certainly wouldn't further Mings' career, whatever the outcome.