Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Can Krul keep his cool on Sunday?

Been a bit of a loose cannon recently - got unnecessarily booked against West Brom, the embarrasing behaviour before the Sheff U penalty then the headbutt issue with Bamford - Just hope he can keep his cool (and a clean sheet!) in the intense derby atmosphere on Sunday

Not sure I agree, if you go back to other promotion campaigns, there were always leaders in the squad. In 72,Big Dunc, In 86 Watson and Bruce,  2004 Malky and Fleming,  they knew how to do the ugly stuff. You look at our Team today, a lot of young players or foreign players who have little experience at this level. I remember playing Reading in our promotion season under Lambert,  Karacan (I think) cut Fox in half, late, high and nowhere near the ball. Holt and co. were straight in there to protect him. Come the end of the season, no one will remember, gamesmanship, time wasting and the other 'dark arts' that could earn us the 1 or 2 points we need to get over the line. 

It could well be that these "embarrassing antics" are part of the reason we signed him. What he does now is no different to his previous clubs. Perhaps Webber is to blame....

Krul is (Tettey aside) the most experienced player we have. In these coming weeks, that experience could be crucial. I suspect that all these 'antics' have been carefully controlled, without stepping over the mark. The odd booking for a keeper is neither here nor there, and worth chancing his (experienced) arm. 

Tim Krul's experience and leadership is the glue that holds the back four together. As good as he was as a keeper, I don't think Angus Gunn would have had the same authority, vision, organisation or leadership with these young lads if he was still here.

Krul's value to the team is very underated by many City fans.

• Like 4

Good point Lappin - Gunn had the experience of Hanley and Klose in his back four last season. We shouldn't underestimate Krul's experience. 

I did worry in the Sheff U and Leeds games that him getting booked in the first half meant that he had no room to manoeuvre in the 2nd half with being accused of time wasting etc.

8 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Good point Lappin - Gunn had the experience of Hanley and Klose in his back four last season. We shouldn't underestimate Krul's experience. 

I did worry in the Sheff U and Leeds games that him getting booked in the first half meant that he had no room to manoeuvre in the 2nd half with being accused of time wasting etc.

I did notice against Leeds the lack of timewasting by Krul taking kicks etc in the 2nd half !  Probably no bad thing IMO, the keeper takes a few extra seconds which hardly makes a difference  and it winds up the home crowd and gets them into the game.  He was sensible and never over-did it, so it never became an issue, which he'd probably have been tempted to do if he hadn't had the booking.

Agreed, it definitely brings the home crowd into the game.  Just look at the Forest game when Pantilimon's antics eventually led to an extra minute being added to the original added time - and we all know how that ended.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Haggerdoo said:

Been a bit of a loose cannon recently - got unnecessarily booked against West Brom, the embarrasing behaviour before the Sheff U penalty then the headbutt issue with Bamford - Just hope he can keep his cool (and a clean sheet!) in the intense derby atmosphere on Sunday

No he hasn’t.

The only embarrassment is that of some fans criticising him.

• Like 2

Krul has been immense, still can't get my head around people getting on his case when we are top of the league.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Haggerdoo said:

It was not actually a headbutt was it?

The antics before the penalty could have us sitting two points clear!

EVERY KEEPER IN THE LEAGUE HAS A MISTAKE IN HIM !

Our keeper has bags of experience, tons of presence, does not go missing, keeps his nerves in check and makes good saves at this level at this time.

Now is NOT the time to criticise our team, WHICH IS SAT AT THE HEAD OF THE TABLE !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Haggerdoo said:

Which one of them was issued with a head butt - and by who ?

My two pence worth here on this forum of debate... I personally have slight concerns about Krul with his occasional antics and questionable distribution. Should we go up, I'm not sure he'd be the best choice to keep in the first 11.

The positive spin here for me is that, in my opinion, he's the best shot stopper in the league. His experience is a huge plus. Not many players in this league have a world cup experience to their name. If he can sort out his distribution (which was excellent actually against Leeds to be fair) then he'd be a very very good goalkeeper. The antics are partly perhaps about protecting the younger players, but it's not a great example to set to the younger players. Bamford isn't exactly the Rock is he. I'm sure Godfrey is more than capable of handling himself.

• Like 1

I think you could put Rhodes in goal with our strike rate.

A rash decision from Krul might be enough though 🤞 

His "embarrassing antics" got The Netherlands through penalty shootouts at a world class level...

15 hours ago, Haggerdoo said:

Might be wrong but I thought it was Emi’s fault there was a penalty awarded and if I understand it right Godfrey who was winding Bamford up, but never mind let’s blame Krul for trying to save a penalty and for helping one of the youngsters out of a hole.

The only embarrassment is fans like you trying to push another good player out of our club. Holt used to do very similar things but was given legendary status please could you come back and tell us why one rule for Holt and another for Krul ?

Could've been sat in a chair with a cocktail.

well, maybe not at corners when the scum had two players trying to push him around.  Not that it did them any good, but does mean he would have spilled his metaphorical cocktail at that point.