Sign in to follow this  
BaltimoreBird

Team vs Ip****

If Klose is available his experience may be needed and he has form for the derby. Harsh on Godfrey I know. Otherwise I can’t see how you could take out Vrancic or Trybull.

It's as you were for me, we don't need to rush anyone back into the side for this one, if they're ready for the bench,  maybe give them a run once the game is won.👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, splendidrush said:

It's as you were for me, we don't need to rush anyone back into the side for this one, if they're ready for the bench,  maybe give them a run once the game is won.👍

Agree fully Splendido !! If all last match starters fit, then let them play. Its not the Last game of the season....or the biggest, just another that we need to win, for oh so many reasons.!! but not for survival , unlike our opponents.

Edited by wcorkcanary

We need to get rid of Trybull and one of the centre halves, as they will not be required, and bring in the likes of McClean/Leitner and Rhodes. We need to score lots goals and hammer them.

Caveat - I'd settle for 1-0 win all day long.

Didn’t Trybull have a nasty gash on his leg (matron)? Is it less significant than it looked? I don’t think it would do any harm if Tettey replaces him for this game, we all think they will be trying to outmuscle us.

Some managers might use the teams’ relative positions as an opportunity to rest players, but that doesn’t seem the Farke way. But if he did, perhaps Teemu and Emi would benefit from a break? Rhodes and Cantwell/McLean would be more than adequate stand-ins.

Nah, players will not be getting a break, for as much as this season is going fantastically well, I have no doubt that Farke realizes the significance that a win against that lot, would be the cherry on top of the season, whatever may happen from now on in.

Seeing how we are learning to 'manage ' games once we're comfortably ahead, I'd be surprised if we run up a cricket score. As difficult as it is to accept, given the opposition, the fact is that we've got bigger hurdles to clear than 1p5wich. 2-0 up, possibly 3 and Farke will shut up shop. 

Probably the best performance of the season against Leeds so would be very unfair and surprised to see any changes. Also three games in 6 days starting Sunday so unlikely Tim would be rushed back for that considering the nature of his injury. No sense making changes for Ipswich and then reverting it again the following game.

Preston away is a very tough game. They are on a good run, tough to beat at home and we will need to focus after coming through a sequence of high profile games. Might be more appropriate for changes in this one.

What's excellent is that we have key players coming back to fitness with largely a fully-fit squad, aside from some long-term absences who are not first-team regulars.  16 games to go, top of the league as we start the business end of the season.  A derby game is always tricky but we are now through the run of games against the top end teams and we're still top (and they're bottom).  If you had offered me this scenario at the start of the season, I'd have been over the moon !

DF in interviews repeatedly refers to the young age of the defence we have, with Godfrey in at CB the back 4 are 2x 21 year olds, Aarons at 19 and Zimm is 26.  Given how well they did at Leeds I hope and expect he'll stick with the same defence.  In fact, I'd definitely go with the same starting 11 unless any are injured.

From here on the fixture list is reasonable, we have the odd mid-week game like next week but I think our squad depth is fine.  No-one should under-estimate an away trip to Preston, clearly it's a banana skin, our away record has to end sometime, but like Leeds we should respect but not fear them and I'm sure DF will make sure there is no complacency !!

Unless Trybull is injured he should stay at DM he now looks as composed as Tettey although not as physical.  Perhaps Klose and Leitner could make the bench but no need to rush them back too early maybe in a game of lesser pressure.  If either on bench might mean an English registered player miisses out which cannot be countenanced.  I think Maclean needs to continue there and Hanley and Cantwell have to be there for English contingent.  Subs bench to include McGovern, Leitner or Klose the three above with Srebeny and Rhodes on the bench.

With the number of 3 games a week coming up we shall need our 2 DM's to cover for any fitness issues with Tettey.  Need to keep all the squad fit which could be an issue if Ipswich come to Carrow Rd and adopt a physical approach. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping he starts with the same starting 11 as he did at leeds.

That will hand us the home support, an opportunity to give them a well deserved, loud, raucous rousing cheer when they enter the cauldron. 

Followed by an even louder 'OTBC' with flags and scarves flying. Show that lot what real support is.

All on the small screen.

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Seeing how we are learning to 'manage ' games once we're comfortably ahead, I'd be surprised if we run up a cricket score. As difficult as it is to accept, given the opposition, the fact is that we've got bigger hurdles to clear than 1p5wich. 2-0 up, possibly 3 and Farke will shut up shop. 

If we didn't have a difficult game against Preston, just 3 days later, I would disagree. 

If we got a couple of goals up against 1p5wich, then I would not fear any comeback from them, due to us managing the game, as they do not have the firepower , or game, to address that sort of deficit, against such a good team as we blatantly are. There is a case for taking a  game the full 90 minutes, in terms of all phases, but because of Preston, that may not happen.

I can see the sense in , if we go 2/3 goals up on Sunday, that we just play keep ball, for the rest of the game, and keep as fresh as possible, for Preston. 

Unchanged I expect, unless Tommy T is crocked, in which case the most likely replacement is Tettey. Both McLean & Leitner need pitch time, but there are plenty of tough games on the horizon. Long way to go yet. At the moment, we must have the strongest bench in the division on paper.

Sounds from our press conference that it'll be an unchanged team.  Godfrey and Cantwell have minor knocks but are expected to be fit.  Leitner has trained but won't be risked.  Trybull's foot injury/cut isn't serious.  Tettey's fit.  Klose hasn't trained, so unlikely to be involved.  Lastly Heise could be involved if needed.

And a great quote from DF: "'We have to play with a flame in the heart, but ice in the head.' 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodman said:

Sounds from our press conference that it'll be an unchanged team.  Godfrey and Cantwell have minor knocks but are expected to be fit.  Leitner has trained but won't be risked.  Trybull's foot injury/cut isn't serious.  Tettey's fit.  Klose hasn't trained, so unlikely to be involved.  Lastly Heise could be involved if needed.

And a great quote from DF: "'We have to play with a flame in the heart, but ice in the head.' 

Sums up DF I think ?

On 07/02/2019 at 05:00, pete said:

With the number of 3 games a week coming up we shall need our 2 DM's to cover for any fitness issues with Tettey.  Need to keep all the squad fit which could be an issue if Ipswich come to Carrow Rd and adopt a physical approach. 

This is what I believe to be the most important issue affecting the current squad. Everyone is going to get a run in the starting XI soon enough. Pukki won't be playing three games in seven days. Rhodes is going to have a few starts the rest of the way. Same with McLean, Hanley, Heise etc...

Whoever can put out a few top notch performances when given the chance will have every opportunity to put stranglehold on the position and gain the most minutes on the pitch when the games become more and more important the rest of the way.

It feels a massive positive that in our run-in we have so many options and players fit and pushing for a place. We have cover across the team.

Same XI without doubt. Godfrey has been outstanding, and the Klose/Zimbo pairing is vulnerable to pace. Trybull and Vrancic were perceived weaknesses in the absence of Tettey and Leitner, but both have performed superbly. A bench of Hanley, Heise, Tettey, Leitner, Cantwell and Rhodes is pretty awesome, right? And that leaves out Klose, Passlack, McLean and Srbeny.

Yes same 11 seems inevitable. I though Godfrey had his best game for us last weekend. Looked a really strong presence. He's been caught out by Gayle and for that Brum goal (although would get away with that most times) but he is really improving week on week. My biggest worry on Sunday is a red card so I do hope we can keep ice in our heads!

Godfrey is growing into a real class act. A few more miles on the clock and I think he'll be every inch the modern Premier League centre back, whether with us or someone else. Put him alongside a more physical 'stopper' and I genuinely think he could play for England and/or a top-six club within two or three years.

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Godfrey is growing into a real class act. A few more miles on the clock and I think he'll be every inch the modern Premier League centre back, whether with us or someone else. Put him alongside a more physical 'stopper' and I genuinely think he could play for England and/or a top-six club within two or three years.

Agreed Wolfie. If Godfrey makes his bones with us for the next two or three years, he looks to have all the attributes to be a solid "modern" centre-back in the top flight. This so-called 'self-sustaining' philosophy is rooted in scouting & developing promising teenagers with a view to bringing them through into the first team, establishing their reputations and then flogging them to keep the train moving. At this point in time, this approach coupled with a sharp senior recruitment policy is bearing serious fruit, better than virtually any of us expected back in August. If promotion is achieved this year, both these policies become more difficult to implement in the desperation to finish 17th or higher. You'd have to say that Farke, Webber and this group of players (alongside some more astute additions one would assume) will have earned their crack at the PL, assuming they're still here and under contract. Webber may try to repeat his trick at another Championship club.

Intriguing to ponder how a back four of Aarons, Zimm, Godfrey & Lewis would fare on a regular basis a division up. Would they even have gotten the opportunities for so much pitch-time? Crystal ball required. What are people's opinions on the hypothetical market value of those 4 as of today, particularly the three 'home-grown' lads?

Aarons - 15m?

Zimmermann - 3.5m?

Godfrey - 2.5m?

Lewis - 8m?

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

Agreed Wolfie. If Godfrey makes his bones with us for the next two or three years, he looks to have all the attributes to be a solid "modern" centre-back in the top flight. This so-called 'self-sustaining' philosophy is rooted in scouting & developing promising teenagers with a view to bringing them through into the first team, establishing their reputations and then flogging them to keep the train moving. At this point in time, this approach coupled with a sharp senior recruitment policy is bearing serious fruit, better than virtually any of us expected back in August. If promotion is achieved this year, both these policies become more difficult to implement in the desperation to finish 17th or higher. You'd have to say that Farke, Webber and this group of players (alongside some more astute additions one would assume) will have earned their crack at the PL, assuming they're still here and under contract. Webber may try to repeat his trick at another Championship club.

Intriguing to ponder how a back four of Aarons, Zimm, Godfrey & Lewis would fare on a regular basis a division up. Would they even have gotten the opportunities for so much pitch-time? Crystal ball required. What are people's opinions on the hypothetical market value of those 4 as of today, particularly the three 'home-grown' lads?

Aarons - 15m?

Zimmermann - 3.5m?

Godfrey - 2.5m?

Lewis - 8m?

Godfrey 2.5m? Are you wearing a blindfold?