Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Points needed for automatic promotion

Those of you of a numerical genius can you give me an indication of 

A) what points total should be needed this season for automatic promotion 

B) to get into the playoffs 

would be good to have a rough target in mind

thank you in advance 

In the EFL’s top division, both Leicester, in 2013/14, and Newcastle, in 2009/10, reached the Premier League with a points totals of 102, the joint highest over the past decade.

West Brom won the 2007/08 title with a record low of just 81 points – usually not even good enough for a top two spot, never mind the title – and only three other sides won the division with less than 90 points; Cardiff in 2012/13 with 87, QPR in 2010/11 with 88 and Reading in 2011/12 with 89.

The average points total to win the Championship is 91.6, meaning that to secure the title and automatic promotion to the Premier League, a team must reach at least the early 90s to have a shot at the title on an average year.

To avoid the play-offs, on average a team needs 86.8 points to get the 2ndautomatic promotion spot to the Premier League.

Both Hull and Stoke finished with the lowest points totals for a 2nd placed team over the past ten years, finishing with 79 points in 2012/13 and 2007/08 respectively, around eight points fewer than the league average.

In 2016/17, Brighton finished with 93 points, just under seven points above the league average, and Burnley did the same in 2013/14.

https://www.sportbox.co/post/many-points-really-take-gain-promotion-efl/

46 minutes ago, ricardo said:

87 will be enough this season👍

So 30 points from 16 games. Eminently doable! (Everything's crossed).

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1

9 more wins needed for me and 3 draws with an allowance for 4 defeats. It is doable 

• Like 1

Sheff Utd are on third with 54 points after 30 games so if they continue the same average PPG they'll end up with 82.8 points or let's call it 83 points.  That would mean to finish above them would require 84 points.  Which would be the same as shown by those stats that the average 3rd place team has 82.6 points.  To get 2nd you need one more point than 3rd, ie 84 points (so we can ignore goal difference).

If I were DF setting a target I would be going for 87 points - which translates into us continuing our form over the entire season so far until the end of the season.  Actually if we can maintain our form since the end of August, we will do better than that - of our 5 defeats, 3 were in August.  But the likelihood is that less than 87 points will be enough.

It's interesting that we feel we are defensively fragile and we do sometimes concede sloppy goals, especially just before half-time and just after we have scored (notice the chance Leeds had from the kick off after our 2nd) (has anyone got any stats on whether we are actually worse than normal for this ?  feels that way...).

But actually we have lost only 2 games in our last 25 in the league, that's a pretty solid record and is the best in the division.  If we can maintain that level of solidity for the rest of the season (ie no more than 2 more defeats over the rest of the season) then it will make a top 2 position so much easier.

If being the middle word in life....

29 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This time last year - Wolves were top with 68 points(!) and Derby in second with 57...

Villa were third with 56 and Cardiff 4th on 51. From their last 16 games, Cardiff got 39 points. Still a long way to go. 

Thinking similar thoughts BYG.

Nice to look at singular or groups of games coming up but it is a very nervous peek towards the later stage games. Lets plug away and do our thing. **** the rest.

17 minutes ago, River End Canary said:

Easy 3 points on Saturday for the 87 point target! 

sorry, not true...it's a derby

It can be fun to speculate on the coming fixtures but we all know that points will be unexpectedly dropped or gained as the season draws to a close. What is fairly certain in my opinion is that the average points gained per game will be relatively close to what it is now. You all know bu now my adage that the season gets fairly well set in stone after about a third of the games are played and definitely by Xmas you can be pretty sure of the way the cookie is crumbling.

When I suffer (as we all do) a moment of anxiety I think back to all those other promotion seasons that I have experienced. Once we hit the top we go on with the job, we don't fade away.

Automatic it will be👍

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

sorry, not true...it's a derby

And not Saturday either ( I did look it up to make sure!!)

• Like 2

My view is that we had a distinct wobble during December when we conceded against Bolton so it was 2-2 at 90 minutes and conceded 3 & 4 against Forest and Derby.  Fortunately Leeds had a much worse spell and we have since steadied the ship, partly due to Godfrey finding his feet and looking increasingly impressive at the centre of defence.  You can't expect it all to be plain sailing.  But we have maintained our impressive run since the start of September.  I will never relax about Sunday's game, but in the end I think we are the best team in the division and will end up in the top 2.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It can be fun to speculate on the coming fixtures but we all know that points will be unexpectedly dropped or gained as the season draws to a close. What is fairly certain in my opinion is that the average points gained per game will be relatively close to what it is now. You all know bu now my adage that the season gets fairly well set in stone after about a third of the games are played and definitely by Xmas you can be pretty sure of the way the cookie is crumbling.

When I suffer (as we all do) a moment of anxiety I think back to all those other promotion seasons that I have experienced. Once we hit the top we go on with the job, we don't fade away.

Automatic it will be👍

I would never be so unfair as to mention your early season predictions ricardo ... that would be unkind ... & I would never be that ...:classic_smile:

44 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Against one of the worst Ipswich teams in history. We’ll smash ‘em

Hope you are soooo right Hoola...!!! #otbc

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

Automatic it will be👍

Something I was mulling over recently, every promotion we've enjoyed you could 'feel ' as the season progressed.  I guess it's to do with momentum, we either get promoted or nowhere near challenging. This season again, has an air of inevitability about it, that's not to say it's definitely going to happen but as each game approaches we look stronger and more confident. 

Finding myself agreeing with a lot of your posts Splendido!!!. That's exactly how I see it ,not certain, but building up a good head of steam.

59 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Never mind promotion, are we safe from relegation yet? 🤣

Apples

I wondered where Highland Canary had gone.