Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Can we Play Vrancic and Leitner in the Same Team?

With Leitner apparently nearly back to fitness and with Vrancic having been brilliant in the last few weeks can we play them both in the same starting 11?

Inconceivable though it would have been a couple of months back, some people are now saying that such has been Vrancic's form that Leitner will have to wait his turn. Obviously if they both played together our midfield would be weaker defensively - or if Tettey or Trybull played the holding midfield role we would have to sacrifice a forward to fit both Vrancic and Leitner in. 

According to my (brief) research the only time we've started with both of them was away at Sheffield Wednesday and that didn't work out too bad 🙂. And of course they were both on the pitch when we scored the two injury time goals to beat Millwall. 

I can't see vrancic Losing his place after his performances in the last few weeks, even though leitner is nominally first choice. Maybe leitner will come on at half time depending on how the game is going, either with vrancic or to replace him?

Edited by Rivvo
Spell

No way anyone will be dropped given current form. Injuries or poor results aside, Leitner will have to wait his turn.

• Like 4

Fair play to Farke, he does make sure that those with the shirt continue to hold it until something goes wrong or they make a mistake.  Ben Godfrey is a good example, with big games recently it must have been tempting to go for Hanley and get more experience in there, but he stuck with Ben and I expect him to do so again.

The same must apply to Mario, continue playing how you have been, if we continue winning then the shirt is yours.

Assuming we get most people fit in the next week or two we could have some serious options on the bench. 

• Like 1

Certainly they can play together however will need a DM to give screen to the defence whether Tettey or Trybull and we would be even more expressive.  But Leitner needs to be introduced slowly and given how he lasted only 20 mins in comeback against a physical Bolton a 20 min runout Sunday against tiring Ipswich could be a better option.  And would allow us to continue with the current midfield of Buendia, Hernandez and Stiepermann who have definitely not merited being left out.

They can play together, but not both in the two CDM positions. Simply not enough physicality and athleticism. 

Vrancic would need to play higher up the field, in the 'ten' position. This is what we had earlier in the season at Sheffield Wednesday, and was successful. Vrancic's ability to pick a perfectly weighted through ball, is really dangerous in this position. But would you drop Steipermann for him? Probably not. Steipermann could go wide... but not at the expense of Buendia or Hernandez, surely? 

With Leitner and Steiperman in the starting 11, its very difficult to include Vrancic. Or Mclean for that matter. I think we could rotate these four players possibly every 3/4 games to keep things fresh. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 1

When Leitner returns ready for inclusion and fully fit, which will be soon hopefully,  it will be a great problem for DF to have.

Vrancic has developed from having good spells in games to dominating them and long may it continue. I can not see Leitner getting straight back in, but what a player to have ready if needed.

Putting Vrancic next to Leitner in the central midfield positions could work. It would be an unnecessary risk though in my opinion. 

However, there is an argument that in games against teams down at the bottom of the league, who will come to Carrow Road with the intention of sitting deep and hoping for a point a dedicated defensive midfielder isn’t needed. 

If Norwich can completely dominate possession  then the need for a Tettey or Trybull is less. 

It does pose the risk though that without someone prepared to sit deep and screen the defence (especially with Lewis and Aarons being high up the pitch), opposing teams could quickly transition from a defensive position to a 2 on 2 against Norwich’s centre backs with one long ball. 

For this weekend it is a moot point, with only a few days training under his belt there is little need to rush Leitner into the team for Sunday. But for other games down the line, it may be an option. 

That being said, Farke isn’t one for making starting XI switches based on who the team is they are playing.

Can’t see Leitner and Vrancic both playing in the CM positions, as said an unnecessary risk which we don’t need to take. We create hatfuls of chances with the system we have, we don’t need to force a system that we don’t need (a la Gerrard and Lampard) and I don’t think Farke would try it.

I also wouldn’t play Vrancic as the no 10, has never been as effective there and is so much more dangerous with the play in front of him to get his head up and pick a pass. A reason Stiepermann has been soo good is his ability to get the ball with his back to goal and somehow turn and run at goal. It looks awkward and flueky at first but he’s done it so many times this season, it’s no fluke and has been key to many of our goals and chances created, either for himself or others.

Leitner or Vrancic for me, and at the moment, as much as I think we had been missing Mo, Vrancic has been awesome and fully deserves his place.

• Like 2

I think they 'could' play together, but with the current balance & superb outcomes, why bother trying? 

One substituting the offers greater value, however Vrancic seems particularly gifted taking direct free kicks...

Barring injuries, would be pretty surprised to see any change to the starting 11, especially with over a week since the last game. Would be nice to try and integrate Mo if we get to a comfortable position, but would be just as keen to see Maclean getting some minutes too.

7 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Can’t see Leitner and Vrancic both playing in the CM positions, as said an unnecessary risk which we don’t need to take. We create hatfuls of chances with the system we have, we don’t need to force a system that we don’t need (a la Gerrard and Lampard) and I don’t think Farke would try it.

I also wouldn’t play Vrancic as the no 10, has never been as effective there and is so much more dangerous with the play in front of him to get his head up and pick a pass. A reason Stiepermann has been soo good is his ability to get the ball with his back to goal and somehow turn and run at goal. It looks awkward and flueky at first but he’s done it so many times this season, it’s no fluke and has been key to many of our goals and chances created, either for himself or others.

Leitner or Vrancic for me, and at the moment, as much as I think we had been missing Mo, Vrancic has been awesome and fully deserves his place.

But he's barely been played in the 'ten' role, so I'm not sure its correct you can say he's never been effective there? He played there against Sheff Wed and was hugely effective. 

I agree he's dangerous with the play in front of him, but some times his perfect slide rule passes are wasted in a deeper position. He can play both roles IMO - with strength and weaknesses in both. He's a bit of an enigma in that its difficult to define his best position. 

23 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

With Leitner apparently nearly back to fitness and with Vrancic having been brilliant in the last few weeks can we play them both in the same starting 11?

Inconceivable though it would have been a couple of months back, some people are now saying that such has been Vrancic's form that Leitner will have to wait his turn. Obviously if they both played together our midfield would be weaker defensively - or if Tettey or Trybull played the holding midfield role we would have to sacrifice a forward to fit both Vrancic and Leitner in. 

According to my (brief) research the only time we've started with both of them was away at Sheffield Wednesday and that didn't work out too bad 🙂. And of course they were both on the pitch when we scored the two injury time goals to beat Millwall. 

It's crazy the quality we have in central midfield tettey trybull leitner vrancic stieperman MacLean , and u can include Cantwell and buendia too I guess and Godfrey too, Who remembers the day we had to play Stephen Whittaker in centre midfield!!!!! 

45 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

It's crazy the quality we have in central midfield tettey trybull leitner vrancic stieperman MacLean , and u can include Cantwell and buendia too I guess and Godfrey too, Who remembers the day we had to play Stephen Whittaker in centre midfield!!!!! 

I remember the day we played the Doc in midfield 😱

Oh football you're so bl***y fickle.................

With Vrancic out for at least three weeks and Leitner looking like he'll be out for a few more weeks yet the title of this thread should have been...

How will we play without either Vrancic or Leitner in the team?

Like LDC has mentioned, I assume Tettey might get the place but with our football being so good I wonder if McLean might be given the chance to show us what he can do. We bought him last season and obviously thought he was going to be an improvement on what we had. So how about letting him show it.

looks like the decision might be made for Farke, Vrancic out for 3 weeks....these things often seem to work themselves out like that

Vrancic would be more a replacement for Steipermann if we tried to play them both as we would surely need either Tettey or Trybull in any midfield.

Didnt really like the look of McLean in the deeper role vs Portsmouth, seemed a bit lightweight to be in that role, looks to be of more use in an advanced role

I wouldn't take too much notice of his performance against Portsmouth, it was against ten men after all.

However, I'm pretty sure it'll be Tettey and Trybull for the next couple of games, especially as we're away from home. Trybull will need to be the one try and do the Vrancic / Leitner quarter back role. Which I think he's capable of.