Sign in to follow this  
Drazen Muzinic

They Really Love Living In The Past, Don't They?

it appears they a trying to collect money to put up yet another statue, 

I do hope it is not money wasted as with this banner (right)

image.jpeg.5a7136bf0b62e8ddca4a61d05370c6ba.jpeg

From one of their fans

Whatever happens on Sunday even if we win we are long way off Norwich at the moment but I guess we have to take comfort from the fact that they will never be as good as we once were.

Overall we have beat them more times than they have beaten us and we are still three major trophies ahead.
Form is temporary but class is permanent.

They played this little game a few years back and it's still the same nonsense.

Clearly they ave completely obliterated the likes of Peters, Paddon, Crook, O'Neill as just a selection of midfielders on a par or better than any they have had. The great Beattie (another statue btw) was treated appallingly by that club in subsequent years.

What about Terry Allcock as a striker, Boyer and McDougall were a lethal pair, the Kevin Reeves and  onto Dean Ashton and Chris Sutton. Theses are just a few of our well loved past performers from 'istory.

Keelan is, buy a mile, the best 'keeper ever to grace either Carrow Road or the , Loo, whilst Gunny was pretty useful on his day. There are others. Unlike them we never seem to be short of a decent 'keeper.

Duncan Forbes anybody? Dave Stringer? Bowen/Culverhouse? 

If they started living in the present and stopped CONTINUALLY going on about that glorious past of theirs which was so long ago and relatively brief they might be able to, in some way, stop at least their continual decline as a club. 

I have made this point before, but no other club supporters the length and breadth of the land and beyond that go on about their "past" more than  those of that small town club down the road.It's relentless and those who visit TWTD for a daily laugh will  have noticed this.

They will soon have more statues than supporters, and do you get a star on the shirt for relegation?

12 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

They will soon have more statues than supporters, and do you get a star on the shirt for relegation?

Some of them make it onto the pitch every week...

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

If you turn the question around to ask who of their past "greatest" players would get in our current team, the answer would probably be none. That is because the game has moved on. Players are fitter and faster and have better ball control. The ball is also a lot lighter, requiring different skills.

If you asked who in their current squad would get into our first team the answer would definitely be none.

Watching the old footage of the Milk Cup Semi Final - as someone else commented - many of those tackles would now be a straight red card.  Their "greats" may have been good at the time, but would have had to resort to hacking our players down, like Blackburn away.  

15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

If they started living in the present and stopped CONTINUALLY going on about that glorious past of theirs which was so long ago and relatively brief they might be able to, in some way, stop at least their continual decline as a club. 

I agree totally, and have mentioned the same. 

It will perhaps take a few soulless years in the wilderness of the old Div 3, or even more in this league, before their support start to look forward rather than back to their past.  

Their aging support base moves with the club and there appears to be very little (if none) incremental growth in younger/new support. Hence it will take a few more years yet for them to finally give up the ghost and rally for the future. 

It may never happen.

To be to fair to them they've got f*ck all to crow about these days so it's hardly surprising that the dwindling band of their support who are old enough to remember the 1980s should keep banging on about their 'glorious history' 🤣

...and as for that old bollox of "They'll never be us" .......well,aren't we all bloody grateful for that 🤭

The selective memory is hilarious.

"In fact I don't think Bellamy or Sutton ever got anywhere near close to Stewart's 19 goals. Sutton may have at Blackburn but not Norwich."

25 goals, mate, in 1993/94. Look it up.

At some point they will have to start looking to the future.

Porman Road will soon become to big to look after, and maintain

Perhaps sheltered housing, at say, the aptly named Cuckoo Farm (Col Utd) which is quite close by.

They allow pets, so the poor old donkey could go with them - and with 10,000 seats they will have plenty of space to accommodate the  binners, as they live out their twilight years

Cuckoo farm, a Mick McCarthy & Stone senior development

• Like 1

I’ve just read through that thread and as a football supporter taking local rivalries away for a moment, I couldn’t help feeling slightly sad for them. Having literally nothing to look forward to and achieved nothing of note for years , that they have to keep harking back decades to try and point score

So this glorious history ended in 1982. So anyone younger than 45 will have no real recollection of it. The constant @bragging@ about it must be an utter embarrassment to so many of them. Surely the current season must hold most relevance however good or bad you were in any previous seasons.  

Remember Ipswich and went to quite a number of their games when they were probably the No. 1 club in the country, no mean feat for a club given their location. When you compare the population of the Midlands, London  and Manchester area's  you have to admire what they did. Times have moved on and now the biggest purse wins namely  Chelsea, Arsenals Man City Man United etc.

The Norwich's and  Ipswich's will never be able to compete with a club that does not have to balance the books as the big boys will always find the money to bankroll them

Said that its lovely to see City in with a chance of at least competing with the big boys

Ipswich. The only town in the country where the most popular names for new born boys in 2019 are John, Terry and Mick!

It is a bit odd - their ‘heydey’ wasn’t exactly stunning in terms of Cups, and ultimately we have two senior trophies to their three (they don’t seem to count the League Cup, but that’s because they’ve never won it). Let’s be honest, neither is the most amazing haul to shout about.

I do well remember the early 80s window when they were a very good side, but it was relatively short-lived - this ‘we’re crap but were good once upon a time’ thing is all they’ve got at the moment.

We should ask our Carra stadium DJ to play the Jethro Tull version of 'living in the past' for our suffering Suffolk 'neighbours' as they come out for kick off.......Then in unison, we then all stand on one leg and cross the other leg across the thigh, and play an imaginary flute......

"#Doo doo doo di dee doo doo#".....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

We should ask our Carra stadium DJ to play the Jethro Tull version of 'living in the past' for our suffering Suffolk 'neighbours' as they come out for kick off.......Then in unison, we then all stand on one leg and cross the other leg across the thigh, and play an imaginary flute......

"#Doo doo doo di dee doo doo#".....

How appropriate. Jethro Tull haven´t done much since the start of the 80´s, but were really good in the 70´s (and late 60´s)

49 minutes ago, daly said:

Could be worse

Ibrahim, Imran, Muhammad, Mohsin Abdul Rafy, Kamran, Moaz, Omar, Saad, Saiq,

Why are these names worse???? 

58 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Why are these names worse???? 

Daly’s an out and out racist. He recently managed to use the phrases “Asian paedophile gangs” and “black drug gangs” in a single post. Sadly, the thread was deleted so the evidence is gone

35 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Daly’s an out and out racist. He recently managed to use the phrases “Asian paedophile gangs” and “black drug gangs” in a single post. Sadly, the thread was deleted so the evidence is gone

Not being picky, but you managed it too🙂!

I really hope this doesn’t go the way of ‘those’ threads, but fear it might...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Keep it going Branston and it might...

these are merely lazy stereotypes

we should get back to the subject in hand

those dimwitted farmhands and their fixation with the past

• Like 1

The majority of many groups are white, simply by the number of 'whites' in the country

Just as the majority of comments your sort make invariably include skin colour, religion or ethnic background as a means of description.

• Like 1

Well Bill, apart from young Jubster they don't come here anymore. Not that I'm saying Jubster's a dimwitted farmhand. It seems he prefers living in the present with us  to living in the past amongst his own. 

I nearly feel sorry for them. But then I remember how they celebrated their saviour by waving assorted bank notes at us and then later claiming they'd never play us again. Actually they may have finally got that right..

I think they are here, though just not posting

Unfortunately I doubt if their inevitable fall out of the Championship will be rock bottom for these rustic unfortunates.

£7m loss of TV money out of a budget of £16m (?) is a huge chunk to lose. More so when corporate, ST's and causal ticket income falls as well.

There doesn't look much in the way of income from player sales either, so I am not to sure how they will cope.

Maybe they will eventually be seen as yet another lower league club for who some may be aware that they once won the FA Cup................... Coventry,  Wimbledon, Barnsley, Portsmouth

Poorman Road circa 2025

image.png.10b64c116f1fb308e2a6ebf748aacb5f.png

• Haha 1

Some think that if they're relegated, they'll just promote the U-23 Team that's been so successful this year and bounce straight back.... Sorry, not going to happen.