Sign in to follow this  
unique

Max Aarons

Does Max Aaron’s have a bad performance in him?

These damn transfer rumours have re-surfaced even with the transfer window now shut.

Surely £15m is just a starting point of his worth?

If Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal are all interested then that must raise the price by £5m?

If Norwich win promotion then that must raise the price by another £5m.

So I would say £25m for a young player, untested in the PL, would be fair value.

I think should we be promoted, he will stay with us, for a season anyway. I really can’t see him being guaranteed a starting place at Spurs. Surely better for him to be playing every week. 

But I agree with your post, should he go then £25m would be a decent opening price.

It’s interesting that the Aarons’ rumours are very similar to the Maddison rumours last season. Webber basically admitted he was stirring a lot of the Maddison stuff to push up his value. 

I have a feeling Norwich see Aarons’ as their insurance policy. If Norwich don’t get promoted they can sell him for a very large sum of money. If Norwich get promoted it is an entirely different situation and Norwich will almost certainly keep hold of him for a season at least. 

I have no doubt Aarons’ is being closely monitored by most teams in the Premier League. 

Can someone remind me what we sold Maddison for in the end and also what did Mings get sold for ?  Not that I'm saying Mings is comparable, but it would be a pointer to what someone distinctly inferior to Aarons was sold for.

I think BYAG has a point.  Aarons is so utterly consistent it's hard to remember how recently he has come into the first team.  It's an absolute joy to see him on that flank with Buendia in front. 

In fact on both flanks we can pretty much take it for granted we'll be superior to whoever we're up against - it's not worrying about them, it's going to be them worrying about us.

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Can someone remind me what we sold Maddison for in the end and also what did Mings get sold for ?  Not that I'm saying Mings is comparable, but it would be a pointer to what someone distinctly inferior to Aarons was sold for.

I think BYAG has a point.  Aarons is so utterly consistent it's hard to remember how recently he has come into the first team.  It's an absolute joy to see him on that flank with Buendia in front. 

In fact on both flanks we can pretty much take it for granted we'll be superior to whoever we're up against - it's not worrying about them, it's going to be them worrying about us.

Mings was sold for £8m and Maddison was £25m. The Maddison fee was also reported to be largely upfront and very little in clauses and add-ons. I’m not sure if that could be said for the Mings deal. 

Also, when Mings was sold he was very good indeed - unfortunately for him nasty injuries really reduced his ability. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I think the Maddison level would be a good marker for Aarons, if it happens.  Obv if we do go up, we'll have to give him a much improved contract !

I agree Mings was a very good player back when he moved to the Prem, but I think he was still a class below Aarons who I can see making it at a top 6 Prem team.

Don't have to worry about it til the summer. If we stay down then i'm sure one of the fullbacks or maybe both will be sold but we will get good money. If we go up i'd like to think they will stick around for at least a season but if they didn't I think a very good replacement would be that Rico Henry at Brentford. Looked really excellent against us. Hernandez couldn;t get past him. 

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Aarons must be close to an U21's call up which will only help to push his value up.

You’d think so. Although with players like Wan-Bissaka, Kyle Walker-Peters, Reece James etc England are so stacked at right back it is getting crazy. 

In fact, in all positions England have 2 or 3 excellent youth players. Webber mentioned it in the interview he did, but there probably isn’t another country in the world that can boast the youth talent that England have right now. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Don't have to worry about it til the summer. If we stay down then i'm sure one of the fullbacks or maybe both will be sold but we will get good money. If we go up i'd like to think they will stick around for at least a season but if they didn't I think a very good replacement would be that Rico Henry at Brentford. Looked really excellent against us. Hernandez couldn;t get past him. 

Henry is brilliant. I think he’ll be in the Premier League next season though. 

A good replacement for Aarons would be Justin James at Luton - who was ahead of Aarons in the Luton youth team. He’s someone I’d actually like Norwich to go for even if Aarons stays. 

8 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I agree Mings was a very good player back when he moved to the Prem, but I think he was still a class below Aarons who I can see making it at a top 6 Prem team.

I seem to remember Redmond making Mings look very average in his last game for them against us - the play off semi-final.

Can't see us getting £25m for a right back, if we're comparing him to Maddison.  And I only think we'll sell if we don't go up.

It's wonderful we have such a valuable asset, both on and off the pitch. Well done to the scouting network for bringing him in, Farke for playing him and Max himself for Maximising the opportunity.

Wan Bissaka and Chilwell are both being touted with a move to Man City this summer - will be interesting to see what they fetch if they go. Not that Max is in the same value bracket at the moment, but he could head towards that range if we go up and he has a good year with us. At the moment, as Woodman says, I don't think he'd fetch as much as Maddison. But here's hoping for promotion and at least another season with us.

This is weird because in August we had a similar thread about Jamal Lewis. Jamal has improved further this season yet appears to have slipped under the radar. Jamal didn't go by the way🙃

Nutty, broadly, the same applies to Lewis - his progress is equally as spectacular and almost forgotten with the emergence of Aarons on the other side of our defence.  To be as consistent as he was in his first half season last year is very impressive. £25-30m worth of talent in just those 2 players.

I agree Woodman. But the point is in the summer when I suggested we may have another Lewis in Aarons it was unthinkable that this could happen twice. Then I get to thinking about how much Cantwell and Godfrey are worth. Then I get to wondering if someone else will come through next season. Maybe Idah or Power. And then the next year. And that we manage to sign young players like Buendia at a time when all we heard was how our club model had no chance of succeeding....

• Like 1

If we got an offer of 15 million that’s a really difficult one to turn down (if we don’t get promoted). There are a lot of “decent enough” right backs around. With 15 mil you can get a decent replacement right back and a top quality championship player in another position, with some left over to reinvest in the club elsewhere. An attacking midfielder who can create and score is much more difficult to replace on the cheap, which is why Maddison was worth that bit extra. 

Even if we go up, if there’s an offer of £20+ million with the majority paid up front, there’s a very strong argument for taking the money, getting in a solid right back (possibly stronger defensively) for a couple of million and strengthening other positions as well. We wouldn’t be forced to sell if we go up, and if he has a good season in the prem he’s going to be worth more than 15mil, but if there’s an offer of around 20 mil paid mostly up front ready to reinvest at the start of the season, it’s a difficult one to turn down.

Let’s face it, as good as he is, is a right back going to be the difference between us staying up or getting relegated? I’d argue probably not. A couple of 6-7 million quid midfielders or an 8-figure striker could be the difference though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aggy said:

Let’s face it, as good as he is, is a right back going to be the difference between us staying up or getting relegated? I’d argue probably not.

Well, a lot of posters on here seemed to think that poor old Whitts was single-handedly responsible for everything bad that befell us 🙄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I agree Woodman. But the point is in the summer when I suggested we may have another Lewis in Aarons it was unthinkable that this could happen twice. Then I get to thinking about how much Cantwell and Godfrey are worth. Then I get to wondering if someone else will come through next season. Maybe Idah or Power. And then the next year. And that we manage to sign young players like Buendia at a time when all we heard was how our club model had no chance of succeeding....

Let it go Nutty, let it go... 😉

I agree completely though.

21 hours ago, Aggy said:

Let’s face it, as good as he is, is a right back going to be the difference between us staying up or getting relegated? I’d argue probably not. A couple of 6-7 million quid midfielders or an 8-figure striker could be the difference though.

Can't see us being at the top of the table if we'd had Husband and Pinto as our full-backs all season!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Can't see us being at the top of the table if we'd had Husband and Pinto as our full-backs all season!

If we’d sold Aarons or Lewis for 15 mil in the summer and bought in a £2mil solid right back and a £6mil centre forward, we could already be clear at the top! And have and extra 7 million helping to balance the books...

(Well aware Aarons hadn’t broken through last summer, but just making the point)

17 hours ago, Aggy said:

If we’d sold Aarons or Lewis for 15 mil in the summer and bought in a £2mil solid right back and a £6mil centre forward, we could already be clear at the top! And have and extra 7 million helping to balance the books...

(Well aware Aarons hadn’t broken through last summer, but just making the point)

Umm I'm pretty comfortable with Pukki, backed by Rhodes, as our striking options.  Not convinced we could improve that position by spending £6m.

• Like 2

On 07/02/2019 at 17:43, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

This is a very true point. Having young fullbacks who can run all game really is pivotal to our play style.

Aye, I don't think we would be anywhere near where we are now without these two exceptional full backs. Whether the scouting and managent team could unearth similar gems with the proceeds of any sale is another question, though. 

Frankly both our flanks are just awesome, the problem for opponents is that if you can stop Hernández/Buendia you have to deal with Aarons /Lewis

i can never remember a City side so strong on the flank positions 

Edited by It's Character Forming
Correcting autocorrect

15 mil max for Aarons if not promoted, and we would take it.

I suspect IF we do get promoted there will still be tempting offers, but the chance of first team football may just persuade all interested parties to stay for the season, who knows?

As it is I'd rather we have this abundance of talent that has others taking note, than not.

Watching the Webber interview, it's reassuring to know that there's a plan in place for any eventuality, he said that at some point even DF will leave and he will be replaced with somebody with the same mindset. That is probably the same for the players, if Aarons is eventually sold you can bet Webber will have identified a suitable replacement. 

To do a crude comparison with the 'Maddison-centric' team of last season, Aarons & Lewis have been unexpectedly outstanding, consistent and quite lucky with injuries. They are fundamental to Farke's philosophy and the 4-2-3-1 approach. Buendia has been a revelation and Hernandez must be a nightmare to mark/track for opposing defenders. And then up top Pukki's movement seals the deal (also been lucky with injuries), being pushed on by Rhodes. Lots of games yet to be played, but currently so much is going right that sometimes I need to pinch myself! Keep it going!

Sunday hopefully will be a cracker!

16 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Umm I'm pretty comfortable with Pukki, backed by Rhodes, as our striking options.  Not convinced we could improve that position by spending £6m.

Wise words ICF, Pukki is like a some sort of machine  running in the background silent but effective, but whenever the machine is required to do it's primary task it delivers almost without fail. He is the Striker-Tronic 5000 Version. Pukki 1 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Watching the Webber interview, it's reassuring to know that there's a plan in place for any eventuality, he said that at some point even DF will leave and he will be replaced with somebody with the same mindset. That is probably the same for the players, if Aarons is eventually sold you can bet Webber will have identified a suitable replacement. 

Very much agree with this. I’m not too worried about losing anyone.

My initial point above wasn’t specific to a striker. Pukki has been a revelation. Rhodes is on loan and has been alright - if you offered me a permanent signing of a younger player who could do a bit more in the build up play, I’d take that player over Rhodes though. 

If we go up, in my eyes we’ll need a quality centre back, a quality central/holding midfielder (Tettey for me will struggle in the prem, especially playing regularly), possibly another wide player and a quality striker (Rhodes being on loan currently).. That’s not going to come cheap and pretty much all of those positions will be harder to fill than a right back spot. Aarons has also on occassion been at fault defensively - to be expected for someone so young and I’m sure he’ll get better defensively with time too, but in the prem if you offered me (1) a fairly cheap but solid right back, plus players in one or two of the positions I’ve just mentioned or (2) Aarons, it wouldn’t be an easy decision but I’d probably go for number 1.