Sign in to follow this  
pete

It's all they have to offer

I fear the only way Ipswich will be able to compete on Sunday will be by becoming physical.  We can expect it to be a physical challenge.  Just hope we get a competent referee not the usual championship numpty who will clamp down on any dirty play Ipswich may bring.  I can only see our season disrupted by injuries to our creative players.  Owing to the recent history of this fixture and their current situation kicking us off the park maybe their only option to compete.

Lets hope not.

Peter Bankes has been named as the referee for the game. I didn’t know anything about him, but looked up his season so far, and he is averaging over 4 yellows a game, so I will keep this in mind for offering up my betting suggestion for the Norwich game for the PUP’s.

With our possession based game, coupled with receiving the ball in tight situations and the likes of Buendia, Hernandez and Steiperman running at players Ipswich, like most teams will resort to fouling us at every opportunity. Wouldn't you instruct your team to try and break up our flow? We will rise above it with or without the help of the referee, probably without knowing the standards in the championship.

He (Lambert) said in a radio interview I heard this morning, that he wants his team to go out and attack teams & that's what the Ipswich fans want to see - which is a pretty obvious statement I guess.  Playing like that will definitely help us! 

The stats from their last 4 games show that their opponents have had 17 shots (Sheff Wed), 23 (Villa), 16 (Blackburn) and 18 (Rotherham).

Peter Banks the referee for the match, The last match he did for us was Brum v Norwich 2-2 first match of the season. As I remember he didn't do anything controversial.

33 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Definitely like to see Tettey start this one. He's a physical player and I suspect that will be the order of the day on Sunday.

Same starting 11 for me (if TT can have his foot patched up).

Not sure they will be as physical as people expect. Perhaps that is their problem?

We will need to start like a steam train!

I don;t think this Ipswich side is capable of roughing us up to be honest but we must ensure our players do not get wound up and pick up stupid cards which could change the course of the game.

Bit of a dilemma for them really because if they sit off us and let us have the ball we will run rings around them but if they attack there will be space for us to exploit. On balance though, I think teams have fared best against us and caused us the most problems when they've tried to take the game to us and pressed us high up the pitch (although an in form Trybull seems to be able to cope better with that tactic) because our defence is our weakest link. Birmingham sat deep and we rolled them over comfortably. They pushed forward in the last few minutes and caused us some difficulties. If the sc*m can get in the final third and win free kicks in and around our box then that may well be their best chance of scoring as we continue to look a bit suspect when defending set pieces. Both WBA and Brentford caused us quite a few issues in the first half of those games but then both are considerably better sides than Ipswich.

3 hours ago, Woodman said:

He (Lambert) said in a radio interview I heard this morning, that he wants his team to go out and attack teams & that's what the Ipswich fans want to see - which is a pretty obvious statement I guess.  Playing like that will definitely help us! 

The stats from their last 4 games show that their opponents have had 17 shots (Sheff Wed), 23 (Villa), 16 (Blackburn) and 18 (Rotherham).

Those stats should reassure any fans with a little touch of anxiety heading into Sunday's fixture. We are going to get enough chances to win the game comfortably. And with our attack, converting won't be an issue. 

Our unbeaten run against them has to end eventually, but personally I think they've missed their chance to do that in the last four fixtures. I think their players and fans may feel that way too.  

In terms of quality, form, and mental fortitude, the gulf between the sides is huge. Even bigger than it was in the play off campaign, when we beat them 3 times and drew the other. Of course football has a habit of throwing up upsets. But I really struggle to make an argument for one happening here. 

I do hope we don't resort to goading them though. Their dreadful run against us is seemingly fitting retribution for their gleeful relegation chants towards us during our last defeat at Portman Road. Just a few songs about our league position, and possible direction, will do the job. We don't need to remind them about their own impending relegation. It's wasted energy better used for our team.

And as they say, what goes around, comes around...... as Ipswich can testify.     

I've been saying this, the stats show, however you read them that we're far away the better side. It doesn't mean that we're going to win or that we should take anything for granted. That said, there's no chance that the Club will be doing that, merely an opportunity to gain another 3 points in our quest for promotion.  All the talk, the banter and the nerves are the preserve of us fans. It's clear that we'll be on the front foot, what is less obvious, is how 1p5wich will approach the game.