Sign in to follow this  
unique

'wish we were like Norwich'

"Play offs at best! Clueless manager and name one game away where we have played like Norwich did last night at Leeds? Composed, good on the ball and ruthless! We spend 150 grand to go to Dubai and were shocking at Bolton against a team who are absolutely dire - same mistakes every game - same poor selections - same poor subs! "

Seeing it more and more on oppo sites....

This one from the side in 4th spot. City's performance at Elland Road has certainly left an impression.

The TEAM are playing so well. no weak performances, excellent replacements on the sidelines, a run of bad performances/results just don't look possible. An odd dodgy result maybe, but to have the momentum going into February, with almost a complete squad at hand puts us well and truly in the driving seat....

Shows the marginal nature of football. Norwich were fortunate with two deflected goals but the put in an amazing performance. 

If Vrancic’s freekick has spun further off the player’s shoulder, or his shot not landed so nicely for Pukki Norwich may not have won the game. But once those things happened they managed the situation exceptionally. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Shows the marginal nature of football. Norwich were fortunate with two deflected goals but the put in an amazing performance. 

If Vrancic’s freekick has spun further off the player’s shoulder, or his shot not landed so nicely for Pukki Norwich may not have won the game. But once those things happened they managed the situation exceptionally. 

If my Auntie had boll*cks she'd be my Uncle (or not, in this brave new world).

You can do that all day; if the atmospheric pressure was slightly different Buendia might have caught his first half shot cleanly and scored, if the grass was slightly longer Aarons would have found it easier to control his miss, if the ref had viewed it how many others did Leeds would not have been given the corner they scored from.

There was nothing fortunate about the scoreline.

• Like 11

What Dan said.  In cricket they say ‘look in the scorebook’ - no one cares about the why’s and wherefore’s, the score is there in black and white. 

All this stuff about deflections and suchlike is daft.  The fk may have been going in anyway; Pukki still had to be there on the off-chance and react to it, the same for Mario’s second - it’s not their fault the defence was nowhere. Their goal came from a wrongly given corner. So, ‘should’ it have been 0-0? 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

With regard to the so called 'fortunate' deflection for Pukki's goal. If you look at the build up you will see that our skilful play works a situation where Vrancic has time and space on the edge of the Leeds area to take a shot. At no time in the game did a Leeds player find themselves in the same situation. You make your own luck!

I didn’t say that Norwich didn’t deserve to win, or that they played badly - the opposite in fact. 

The great thing about football is the marginality of it. It is why there are great upsets and explosive moments of joy. Goals are limited and they have big impacts on games. Unlike something like basketball where points are easier to achieve and it will give ‘better’ teams a greater chance of winning. 

I don't think the deflections are an excuse. I think the first one, as Branston has pointed out, was going in anyway when you see the footage from behind the goal.

Maybe our third goal was a bit fortunate but as it missed everything in the end and went in. But Aguero still celebrated t=his hat trick goal at the weekend went he hardly got the usual contact on the ball.

Our second was down a great bit of work by Buendia who caught them napping on the edge of their own box. Football isn't just about great headers and beautiful passing. It is about great tackles as well. And reading the game to exploit your opponents.

All credit to the club for bring us so much pleasure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If my aunt had balls she’d be.....

Football is a game of fine margins but the point about Saturday for me is that Vrancic has hit three shots on target.  I'm not convinced the deflection to the first has made any difference.  For the second, when a powerful shot is hit and is blocked inside the box like that, it is a matter of chance whether it falls to an attacker but as well as Pukki, Buendia was there if it had gone in another direction so you increase your chances by having players with the right instincts.  For the third goal, Vrancic has hit it right in the centre of the goal which is always tricky for the goalkeeper, who in this case failed to cover it.  Isn't that what sport is all about, one player doing something well and the other player doesn't do so well and ends up losing ? 

Compare this with the main Leeds chances - their striker hit a powerful volley but wide of the target.  If it had been on target, Zimmerman was well placed to block it.  Only a fortunate deflection would have made it a goal.  And when their player was running through and Krul came out and was booked, the striker put the ball wide of the target.  I'd have bet on Pukki to dink that one into the empty net.  And we all know that their goal came from a corner that shouldn't have been given.

Yes, football is always about fine margins, but actually Saturday was more clear cut that the better side won than most games are.

2 hours ago, JF said:

If my aunt had balls she’d be.....

Still your aunt, in 2019. We'd have to consistently point out how beautiful and brave she is for going through the operation, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

With regard to the so called 'fortunate' deflection for Pukki's goal. If you look at the build up you will see that our skilful play works a situation where Vrancic has time and space on the edge of the Leeds area to take a shot. At no time in the game did a Leeds player find themselves in the same situation. You make your own luck!

Not quite true Thirsty. Leeds rather skilfully worked the opening leading to Bamford's fierce drive which Krul was adjudged to have touched over.

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

What Dan said.  In cricket they say ‘look in the scorebook’ - no one cares about the why’s and wherefore’s, the score is there in black and white.

I can assure you that, contrary to what you say, the why's and wherefore's are poured over and deeply analysed by a host of people who, being professionally involved, have very good reason to care. 

As for the role of luck, I will wait with baited breath for the comments when Freddie Sears wins Sunday's game for Ipswich with a 90+4 minute strike which rebounds off the crossbar into the net via Tim Krul's back. (Though, of course, if that were to occur, TK will get the blame and luck will have played no part in it...........)

5 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

I can assure you that, contrary to what you say, the why's and wherefore's are poured over and deeply analysed by a host of people who, being professionally involved, have very good reason to care. 

Of course they are - but the point is that the score is the score.  It’s in the record books now and it isn’t going to change.

I definitely agree football is a game of fine margins, meaning often the score does not really reflect how good the two sides were on the pitch .

But Saturday is a bad example, because City were much the better side overall and on the scoresheet.

The points discussed really amount to saying that we could have been unlucky and Leeds could have been lucky, in which case the result could have been different.  Which is true of almost every football game barring the rare case when one side gets totally and deservedly thrashed.

6 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

As for the role of luck, I will wait with baited breath for the comments when Freddie Sears wins Sunday's game for Ipswich with a 90+4 minute strike which rebounds off the crossbar into the net via Tim Krul's back. (Though, of course, if that were to occur, TK will get the blame and luck will have played no part in it...........)

You don't have to wait Westcoast. In case you've forgotten, Ipswich's goal at their place came from an outrageous deflection!

6 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Not quite true Thirsty. Leeds rather skilfully worked the opening leading to Bamford's fierce drive which Krul was adjudged to have touched over.

You're missing the point spectacularly Westcoast. Vrancic had time and space to take his shot. Bamford was stretching to reach the ball and had Zimbo breathing down his neck about 1cm away from him. In footballing terms the two are totally different!

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

5 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're missing the point spectacularly Westcoast. Vrancic had time and space to take his shot. Bamford was stretching to reach the ball and had Zimbo breathing down his neck about 1cm away from him. In footballing terms the two are totally different!

If time and space is the measure, then Alioski's first half chance was equally good, skilfully created via a move which left him totally unmarked at the far post. Re. Bamford, I was actually referring to a different chance, the one where he shot unchallenged from the edge of the box to the top right of the goal. It isn't shown in the highlights.

On 06/02/2019 at 02:07, Thirsty Lizard said:

On 06/02/2019 at 08:31, westcoastcanary said:

If time and space is the measure, then Alioski's first half chance was equally good, skilfully created via a move which left him totally unmarked at the far post. Re. Bamford, I was actually referring to a different chance, the one where he shot unchallenged from the edge of the box to the top right of the goal. It isn't shown in the highlights.

Thirsty, I owe you an apology in respect of my highlighted reference to that Bamford chance. I've just watched the entire match through again from beginning to end and there was no such incident 😳 
I must have been thinking of a different player in another game. (I hope nobody now comes back and tells me there was in fact such an incident in the Leeds game. That would be seriously worrying ..............!)

That is good if you Westcoast to reflect and apologise.

It just reminds me when I felt (a little but not greatly) castigated a few years ago when you told me that Ryan Bennett was not a good centre back and the reasons. I felt he was decent and had promise. I realise he is no world beater but he seems to have had a renaissance at Wolves? Would you agree? I cannot recall replying before but your comment above has trawled up this memory. And btw I have not held a grudge just a difference of opinion. And sometimes we all see things differently. 😉

5 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Thirsty, I owe you an apology in respect of my highlighted reference to that Bamford chance. I've just watched the entire match through again from beginning to end and there was no such incident 😳 
I must have been thinking of a different player in another game. (I hope nobody now comes back and tells me there was in fact such an incident in the Leeds game. That would be seriously worrying ..............!)

Glad to know it's not just me makes this sort of mistake !

Have you re-watched it on iPlayer ? If not where ?

7 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Apology totally accepted Westcoast. Funny - when you said it was 'the other Bamford chance' I thought to myself 'Oh yeah I think I did see that on the longer highlights version I watched' - perhaps we're all losing the plot - I blame the Russians - they're probably putting stuff in the water. 😉

14 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

iFollow or whatever they call it...

Yes, iFollow ICF. 

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Apology totally accepted Westcoast. Funny - when you said it was 'the other Bamford chance' I thought to myself 'Oh yeah I think I did see that on the longer highlights version I watched' - perhaps we're all losing the plot - I blame the Russians - they're probably putting stuff in the water. 😉

👍 Thirsty. What's so disconcerting is that I can "see" the incident I'm referring to absolutely clearly in my mind's eye, where the shot is hit from and it's trajectory (a fierce, straight, rising drive from just outside the penalty area, more or less in line with Krul's left hand post), and Krul's position and movement, about a yard in from his left hand post, hands above his head guarding the space just below the crossbar as the ball flies, or is deflected, just over. I'm also pretty sure a corner was given rather than a goal kick, but came to nothing. Can anyone recall the incident I'm thinking of, maybe in the Sheffield game, the previous weekend ?

And by the way, you really must get a bit more with it as regards apportioning blame; surely you know that Donald Trump is to blame for everything? 

Edited by westcoastcanary
Added last paragraph.

7 hours ago, sonyc said:

That is good if you Westcoast to reflect and apologise.

It just reminds me when I felt (a little but not greatly) castigated a few years ago when you told me that Ryan Bennett was not a good centre back and the reasons. I felt he was decent and had promise. I realise he is no world beater but he seems to have had a renaissance at Wolves? Would you agree? I cannot recall replying before but your comment above has trawled up this memory. And btw I have not held a grudge just a difference of opinion. And sometimes we all see things differently. 😉

No, my opinion on RB hasn't changed sonyc. What you call his "renaissance" at Wolves is simply a reflection of Nuno Santo's unwavering belief in playing three at the back, in which formation RB's limitations are mitigated.