Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

“That was the boss… Google her”

1 minute ago, king canary said:

The world is more complex than your meaningless feel good slogans.

Aye, So don't sweat the small stuff. Before i get a lecture on the insidious danger of not sweating the small stuff, let me inform you i am a 56 yr old , non binary identifying, disabled , stuttering dwarf. I left out my (supposed) race so as not to offend.

Your view is so shallow Kingo.

We all know Pops. We know he has a good heart and he's one of us. Part of our community. Those who want to make him something else are the people who are causing division on this thread. Pops wasn't claiming to be better than anyone yet his critics obviously feel themselves superior to him.

I've said this before on here but racism is much more than a term used innocently from a good heart. Attacking pops and other "old white guys" as a group is much more premeditated than Pops use of the term "Chinaman". 

It's what's in your heart that defines you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

IMHO, it's racist because Chinese people (in this specific example at least, we could be talking about many ethnicities, religions, sexual preference...) frequently experience discriminatory behaviour based on their race/colour of their skin. This is not something most French or Dutch people have experienced, nor is there a long established history of it occurring. In other words, not all people are equal and those who are in a position of relative privilege cannot sensibly claim that they are being discriminated against on the grounds of that position of privilege.

I'm sure there some people reading this conversation want to make an argument along the lines of "I once went to France/India/Yorkshire/wherever and got treated badly because I was British/white/from Norfolk/whatever".  The point is that if you have benefited from being in a majority in the society you've grown up in and have not experienced discrimination, it's not really logical to suddenly claim you're in a disadvantaged minority. Although it might be educational. The discrimination needs to be sustained. After all, it might just be because you're a tw*t.

So haven't most Chinese people grown up being the majority in their society and not experienced discrimination? They aren't a disadvantaged minority 

I lived in China and was often called a gweilo, an offensive term for a Westerner. It is very possible for Western people to have racist, stereotype comments made about them. You probably don't know it's happening if you don't speak the language

In Thailand you will find double pricing where Westerners pay higher prices than other races. They often display double pricing with the lower pricing in the local language. This is just as much racist discrimination as happens in the West. It works both ways. 

Just to try and understand your logic "king", the term "chinaman" to describe a Chinese person, with no disparaging context is terribly racist and offensive.

However, calling someone an "old white guy" who "misses the point" to clearly denigrate them based on their ethnicity and age is perfectly acceptable, based on the fact they are not a persecuted minority.

Is that about it?

Edited by Ian
Typo

54 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Your view is so shallow Kingo.

We all know Pops. We know he has a good heart and he's one of us. Part of our community. Those who want to make him something else are the people who are causing division on this thread. Pops wasn't claiming to be better than anyone yet his critics obviously feel themselves superior to him.

I've said this before on here but racism is much more than a term used innocently from a good heart. Attacking pops and other "old white guys" as a group is much more premeditated than Pops use of the term "Chinaman". 

It's what's in your heart that defines you.

Just because you know him Nutty doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be called out for using racially offensive language. 

I’d say you should call out the people you are friends with if they use racially offensive language also. I know I would. 

I don’t know what is in his heart, I just know that the people who use that phrase with mean do so offensively - because it is offensive. 

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Just because you know him Nutty doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be called out for using racially offensive language. 

I’d say you should call out the people you are friends with if they use racially offensive language also. I know I would. 

I don’t know what is in his heart, I just know that the people who use that phrase with mean do so offensively - because it is offensive. 

Buddyism.......

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The n-word’s history is tied up with slavery, oppression and the barbaric treatment of black people in America by white people. So of course it has a different meaning when said by one back person to another compared to a white person saying it to a black person. 

There are no ‘forbidden’ words. There are just words that if you use them in the wrong context they will cause great offence. 

What you are expressing LDC, and it isn’t just you who says this, is a very white centric view. ‘If they can do it, why can’t I’. Well, for once, this is something a white person is excluded from. 

This is a complete misrepresentation of what I have been saying. I have clearly been sayng that the N word in all it's contexts is a word that should it be used by anyone - anywhere.  It is the ownership of words I object to, whoever claims the right to use certain words for themselves and frown upon anyone else using them, imo, is wrong.  If a word is not to be used by some it should not be used by anyone.

The N word is and always has been a derogatory reference to black people since slavery was introduced - and as such has no place in the world today.  That some black people now use it as a reference to each other, like some Pakistanis will use the P word to each other, the gay community use the word Q word etc etc, is imo wrong. 

People will use words how they want, but there always seems to be one law for some and another law for others. Imo, that problem perpetuates the differences between all sorts of different people rather than bring them together.  Much better those words disappear from all usage, then we can all have some common ground.  Perpetuating difference is bad - yet that is what some activist groups want - they put themselves under the banner of standing up for their rights - but in the process, are in danger of making things worse not better.

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Beth, I didn't post that to you because I respect that you found it offensive. I don't though. I also don't feel offended on your behalf. Just as I am not offended by Kingo's shallow remarks or any of the nonsense that gets thrown at me on here.

Good and bad seems to have been replaced by acceptable and unacceptable with everyone creating their own boundaries.

3 minutes ago, danielsroundabout said:

I've always known a left arm bowlers equivalent of the right armer's googly to be a chinaman. What are the commentator's having to call it nowadays?

Szechuan beef with special fried rice......?

32 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

That could also be directionalist and emotionalism!

I had to look them up and I'm still none the wiser😳

8 minutes ago, danielsroundabout said:

I've always known a left arm bowlers equivalent of the right armer's googly to be a chinaman. What are the commentator's having to call it nowadays?

But can they nick you for a leg glance after bowling a maiden over?

17 minutes ago, danielsroundabout said:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/90906279/andrew-wu-cricket-needs-to-hit-the-derogatory-term-chinaman-out-of-the-park-for-good

Wisden no longer use the term due to its offensive nature. 

Increasingly, in my experience, those most vociferous in asserting the need for respect towards others, often display a marked lack of such respect themselves.

You learn something every day.......had no idea the USA  was so anti-chinese up to the middle of last century.

In the 19th century USA needed workers for the railroad. Due to extreme poverty in parts of China some men had to go to the US to work. They were called Chinamen.

main-qimg-063cf9248f0461198fd491619d3f9142

The Chinese railroad workers lived under awful conditions. They were basically slaves. Some got paid, but they often died before they were able to get their money. This was something that was well thought out by the railroad companies. They were buried in mass graves along the tracks (if they were buried at all), and the ones that survived were rarely able to return home.

main-qimg-60e9f3e07aeb860f38b98166d35cba4b-c

The Americans hated the Chinese in the same way nazis hated jews. New laws were made which e.g. prohibited Chinese men in USA from marrying white women and forbid Chinese to immigrate. There were even anti-Chinese riots across USA in which immigrants were driven from their homes and businesses.

main-qimg-fc3b0c23a0e9af7bd181d389e4b5d78c-c

Only since the 1940s when the United States and China became allies during World War II, did the situation for Chinese Americans begin to improve, as racial restrictions for chinese were lessened. In 1943, Chinese immigration to the United States was once again permitted.

Well Pops and Beth are still 'me old chinas'

I miss the countless posts about nepotism. Must be four months now. I often see the elephant in the room though...

The goalie lives for races like Saturday on Elland Road, where he regularly took the blood from the nails of the Leeds fans by not hurrying on goal kickers. "It was nice, was not it?" He grins. "Leeds is known for its fanatical supporters. A big club. I even got coins to my head. One just flew past my head, not normal. That makes it wonderful to win here. We have a fantastic team, with a mix between young and experienced. Everyone clapped it. "

34 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

The goalie lives for races like Saturday on Elland Road, where he regularly took the blood from the nails of the Leeds fans by not hurrying on goal kickers. "It was nice, was not it?" He grins. "Leeds is known for its fanatical supporters. A big club. I even got coins to my head. One just flew past my head, not normal. That makes it wonderful to win here. We have a fantastic team, with a mix between young and experienced. Everyone clapped it. "

FINALLY, after 4 pages of "holier than thou" t i t for tat somebody (that's you DS), has had the sense to bring the subject back to the original topic. I too loved Tim's comments and he seems to have found his heart in NCFC. Long may it continue.

Edited by ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)
Stupid blocking out of legitimate expression
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

FINALLY, after 4 pages of "holier than thou" t i t for tat somebody (that's you DS), has had the sense to bring the subject back to the original topic. I too loved Tim's comments and he seems to have found his heart in NCFC. Long may it continue.

I find t i t s and tats offensive

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, danielsroundabout said:

It has been misused that way sometimes but the chinaman (or whatever it is called now) is the stock delivery of a left-arm wrist spinner, with their googly still being called a googly.

34 minutes ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

If ever there was a holier than thou post....