Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

“That was the boss… Google her”

Here is the thing KG.

I don't think you're a big old racist.

But if you use a word and someone of that ethnicity tells you they don't appreciate it and find it racist, the best thing to do is just say 'sorry, didn't realise', maybe edit the post and move on rather tell them they are humourless, say you're being hounded by the PC police and point out how many non-white people you've met.

It isn't that tough

• Like 2

I’ve lived my life avoiding saying ignorant things about race on football forums, and then treating it as all a big joke. By the way, referring to someone as ‘humourless’ because they don’t like your racial term, isn’t a get out of jail free card. Maybe you should think harder on what you post in future, and consider why the responses are negative. By your logic, I could say anything derogatory and then pass it off as a ‘joke’.

But I'm afraid, I've seen many of your posts including these assinine ones and consider you humourless and someone who answers a question with another meaningless one.

I repeat. What have you done in your life to promote anti racism?

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

If Keelan is a ‘reasonable chap’, maybe he’d admit that he might have got that one wrong. 

I would be quite happy to apologise to you for the people who have racially abused you and would have stood shoulder to shoulder with you if wanted to confront those idiots.

What you are trying to say is that every post that has mentioned stinking rich Chinese owners is racially offensive. Nonsense. 

Are the MOBO awards racist? Are they isolating one area of society? The news this morning has told us its the Chinese New Year. IS that offensive.

For goodness sake. If people continue to alienate people like myself who are not and never will be racist because they happen to use terms that others criticise then you play into the hands of the Robinsons.

Accept the world isn't perfect. But it is progressing. Because it isn't progressing the way some want, that doesn't make the others right.

The term ‘chinaman’ is racially offensive.

If you had said ‘Chinese man’ or even ‘stinking rich Chinese owner’ I would not have called you up on it. It is like people saying ‘Paki isn’t offensive because it just describes people from Pakistan’. 

There’s a fine line between innocently (naively?) using what are now considered racial terms or characterisations (but in their youth were commonly used), and clear racism with intent. It’s clear KeelansGD is of a different generation to some of us, and that does need to be considered.

Not the same at all, but my grandpa used to say - probably provocatively- a funny little mocking poem about ‘the Jews’. Completely unacceptable even back in the 90s, but he wouldn’t have understood why not since his references were formed in the 20s/30s. (And if he did, I suspect he wouldn’t have admitted it)

But home truths also need to be pointed out, and taken on board as part of a learning process. It’s not nice to be taken to task by someone with a different perspective. It feels unfair, especially if you’ve decided a long time ago how the world is and ought to be. 

But instead of immediately shooting the messengers, it’s ok to say thanks for letting me know that’s how you feel, I’ll look into a bit more later, maybe even privately & sensitively ask a wider selection of relevant people (in the most specific sense possible) what they think about situations like on this thread.

It helps - I’ve found - to adopt a neutral stance and a listening demeanour. Just as you’d hope to be treated fairly by others whom you may perceive to be stereotyping you unfairly.

GA47 over and out

• Like 4

I apologise to Bethnal if I have upset him. I never intend to upset anyone on here unless they choose to attack me. But Hoolahan Solo can get stuffed. And that is all I have to say on that matter, 

3 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

There’s a fine line between innocently (naively?) using what are now considered racial terms or characterisations (but in their youth were commonly used), and clear racism with intent. It’s clear KeelansGD is of a different generation to some of us, and that does need to be considered.

Not the same at all, but my grandpa used to say - probably provocatively- a funny little mocking poem about ‘the Jews’. Completely unacceptable even back in the 90s, but he wouldn’t have understood why not since his references were formed in the 20s/30s. (And if he did, I suspect he wouldn’t have admitted it)

But home truths also need to be pointed out, and taken on board as part of a learning process. It’s not nice to be taken to task by someone with a different perspective. It feels unfair, especially if you’ve decided a long time ago how the world is and ought to be. 

But instead of immediately shooting the messengers, it’s ok to say thanks for letting me know that’s how you feel, I’ll look into a bit more later, maybe even privately & sensitively ask a wider selection of relevant people (in the most specific sense possible) what they think about situations like on this thread.

It helps - I’ve found - to adopt a neutral stance and a listening demeanour. Just as you’d hope to be treated fairly by others whom you may perceive to be stereotyping you unfairly.

GA47 over and out

At last 👏👏

Jeez, it's a good job it's only digital space this argument is wasting, not real paper and ink, that would be really stoopid.

As a WASP whose ancestral family have only served in the Army in "the Colonies" as a way of earning a living, and not based on any ideology concerning superiority, subjugation, or suchlike, I choose to take offence at the use of the word "Pakehas".

It's my high-horse, and if I want to sit on it I shall.

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I apologise to Bethnal if I have upset him. I never intend to upset anyone on here unless they choose to attack me. But Hoolahan Solo can get stuffed. And that is all I have to say on that matter, 

I can “get stuffed” because I took offence at a term you used, but apparently I’m humourless unless I like it. Maybe you should be the one to grow up, or indeed, get yourself educated.

I'm a bit lost on some of this, could someone explain if Frenchman or Dutchman are also offensive in today's world, if so then I've learnt something and thank you, if not could someone 'learn' me why Chinaman is, genuine question guys - thanks.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ray said:

I'm a bit lost on some of this, could someone explain if Frenchman or Dutchman are also offensive in today's world, if so then I've learnt something and thank you, if not could someone 'learn' me why Chinaman is, genuine question guys - thanks.

Also waiting for a response to this. 

I work with Chinese people. One of them calls himself Chinaman Dave. He made that up, no one else. He also speaks in broken English.

• Like 1

Wait... could saying 'them' be deemed as racist also? Genuine question.

Edited by Bex

The trouble is those that shout the loudest at being offended create more conflict than those who are just trying to get by in a PC crazy world.  Education is the key, not activism which just encourages extreme views.

Edited by lake district canary

14 minutes ago, Ray said:

Chinaman is a phrase that was often used in a deogratory fashion against people of East Asian descent - not just Chinese people, but Japanese, Korean, Thai etc. 

It has a history connected to the stereotyping of Chinese people as bucked tooth, small, cowardly and devious. 

It is offensive as it is used offensively. Terms like Dutchman, Frenchman don’t really have that same history. It is like ‘Paki’ being offensive, but ‘Brit’ isn’t. I don’t think anyone would reasonably argue that ‘Paki’ isn’t an offensive term. 

****, **** and Nip are all offensive as well, just for the record. 

Things change, things that were acceptable before become unacceptable. It is often generational and it isn’t consistent across an ethnic group. Some will take offense, some won’t. The same way some people will be offended if you swear at them, and some won’t. 

• Like 1

Just now, lake district canary said:

The trouble is those that shout the loudest at being offended create more conflict than those who are just trying to get by in a PC crazy world.  Education is the key, not activism which just encourages extreme views.

Cool, MLK clearly should have heeded your advice.

Just now, king canary said:
2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Cool, MLK clearly should have heeded your advice.

MLK was a lone loud voice in a society where blacks had very little voice at all. Now everyone cries out at the slightest thing.

11 minutes ago, Bex said:

Also waiting for a response to this. 

I work with Chinese people. One of them calls himself Chinaman Dave. He made that up, no one else. He also speaks in broken English.

It is up to an individual really. But there is a power for people of ethnic minorities to ‘claim’ the offensive term - no more prominently exhibited in black culture and the ‘n-word’. 

Your colleague can ‘own’ the word but he may not be so happy if a stranger shouted it at him. Also, if he is of an older generation he may not feel it is offensive - whereas his children might. 

I can joke around with friends about Japanese racial stereotypes, but I would never want someone who isn’t a friend to make those jokes to me. That is pretty much common sense I woukd have thought. 

Thanks Bethnal, didn't know that and I've been round a while, although I have used the word Chinaman it was purely to describe someone from China with no racist intent, so I've learned something. I agree entirely with generational, etc. When I was a kid we used the term black, then we were told coloured is the correct term I believe black is now more acceptable, could be wrong of course?

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Sorry Keelanagrandad, you don’t get to decide what is a racial offensive term and what isn’t. 

So who does?  Whoever identifies as a minority group?  

Well, here's the thing, everyone (even white people) will be able to claim some kind of minority identity if you divide people into 'groups' enough, or put them in different countries.

I'm not deriding your autonomy to be offended, which is your prerogative, but it wasn't a bit racist, it was a bit of a naff stereotype.  Racism is defined as : "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."   None of the above apply to the original comment imo.

Edited by Orly

I've never understood how it is ok for a black person to use the N word to another black person, or a Pakistani to use the P word to another of the same country. If it is a no go word for some it should be a no go word for everyone.