Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Don't judge a book by its cover...

At the start of the season I think a few of us would haveĀ been worried about the prospect of a midfield 4 of Vrancic, Buendia, Steipermann and Hernandez- where is the steel, the tackling, who is going to win the ball back? Not today.

All 4 were just as good in the defensive phase of the game than the attacking. I lost count of the amount of times those four won the ball back and immediately started attacks. Brilliant.

• Like 5

All have been fantastic to watch recently. I'm absolutely loving Steipermann's control on the ball and dictation of the team going forward. Completely not what I was expecting of him this season. Has been pure class.

• Like 3

All the players were magnificent today, but Vrancic and Buendia were so impressive.

Special mention to Steipermann, Houdini-like in his ability to escape in tight situations!Ā 

This is something that has struck me as the season has gone on. I'm sure we take the ball off the opposition (i.e. from their feet) far more than we used to.Ā 

Both Sheffield last week and Leeds today did a similar job on us though. We get throughĀ less skilful teams far more easily. The Blades and Leeds knew how we play and had the pressing technique to neutralise us more than most.

Oops! That was a reply to Chip20.

Edited by westcoastcanary

Good thing Norwich never found buyers for Vrancic and Stipermann when they were both made available in the summer!Ā 

Sure there would be a few offers for them now.Ā 

This must be the most technically gifted Norwich side ever. The close control and ability to play through a press is outstanding.Ā 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chip20 said:

This is something that has struck me as the season has gone on. I'm sure we take the ball off the opposition (i.e. from their feet) far more than we used to.Ā 

We do, often by simply harrying them.

One way is to have a second player join in........ that way one of them can simply poke the ball away allowing the other player to clear, or as usual move to ball to another city player. Without the second player the ball would often be recovered by the opposition.

Other way is when our player turns his back into the opposition player when tackiling, this way impeding the opposition

Watch how Buendia launches a tackle to win possession in the build up to our second goal,Ā  or how Pukki chased 10 yards to win the ball in the build up to the 3rd goal.

2 hours ago, BaltimoreBird said:

All have been fantastic to watch recently. I'm absolutely loving Steipermann's control on the ball and dictation of the team going forward. Completely not what I was expecting of him this season. Has been pure class.

Agreed. He has literally grabbed this team and pushed it forward, with guile and aggression. Coupled with the coolness of the Ice man Teemu, who just plugs away and scores when he's ready! All is looking good.

There are so many good variables to this team. EB is a revelation in midfield, he oozes south American flair and temperament, Onel is quick, strong and gifted, and there can't be too much to say about our young players that hasn't been said. Outstanding.Ā 

Talking of outstanding; Ben Godfrey, what a game he had.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Good thing Norwich never found buyers for Vrancic and Stipermann when they were both made available in the summer!

Must have properly narkedĀ them. What an answer!