Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Leeds Utd*****

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I'd forgotten about him! And Highland Canary? Where he gone? striding across the Trossachs, mumbling into his beard I reckon.

I'm pretty sure he is posting under another name, busily trying to re-establish his credentials as a genuine Norwich fan .........

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I'd forgotten about him! And Highland Canary? Where he gone? striding across the Trossachs, mumbling into his beard I reckon.

I'm pretty sure he is posting under another name, busily trying to re-establish his credentials as a genuine Norwich fan .........

2 hours ago, Sooty57 said:

Leeds 67% possession and more shots than us..... statistics..... what a load of b*******s

Now now, you'll upset westcoast 😉

13 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I'm pretty sure he is on here posting under another name, busily trying to re-establish his credentials as a genuine Norwich fan .......... (Lincoln I mean, Highland has posted)

Edited by westcoastcanary

Our back 4 were excellent today, so calm in that atmosphere and still they played their football. I have to say if NCFC aren't playing Premiership football next season, Aarons will be. After such a wonderful team performance I don't like to single out individuals but Max at what just 19 is an incredible talent. Vrancic was outstanding too. I just don't know where we will fit in Leitner, or Klose. Farke certainly has some nice selection problems coming up. 

• Like 2

In normal situations a player that steps in for an injured colleague does ok, but steps aside once the better player is fit and ready to play again. We have players that come in, play far better than most expect, take their chance and don't give the coach a reason to drop them. Stiepermann, Godfrey, Vrancic, Trybull have all given Farke a selection headache, but a great one to have.

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

In normal situations a player that steps in for an injured colleague does ok, but steps aside once the better player is fit and ready to play again. We have players that come in, play far better than most expect, take their chance and don't give the coach a reason to drop them. Stiepermann, Godfrey, Vrancic, Trybull have all given Farke a selection headache, but a great one to have.

A point we were discussing on another thread,  when Hanley was injured we were hoping he'd hurry back as we were relying on him, now he's probably 4th choice. It also makes negotiations with Klose a little easier,  as he's also on the outside looking in. It's going to allow Tettey and Leitner more time to get up to speed after their injuries. 

I feel that Hanley badly fluffed his chance in the FA cup game and he is one choice that may not get a go again. Having Tettey, Klose and Leitner waiting in the wings has to be a great unspoken motivator for the lads on the pitch.

Surely that was the Championship performance of the season.

To go into that atmosphere with such a young team and to achieve that result was nothing short of amazing.

Special mention from me for somebody who doesn't seem to have been talked about a lot regarding this game - Emi Buendia, incredible selfless work rate, broke up so much of Leeds' play before it got to the edge of the box. Truth be told though, they were all fantastic and I hope they enjoy a well-deserved day off today.  

• Like 2

I think Buendia is more than a creative talent, he seems to have just the right amount of 'pitbull ' no one gets to bully him in games and he seems to want the ball at every opportunity.

55 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I think Buendia is more than a creative talent, he seems to have just the right amount of 'pitbull ' no one gets to bully him in games and he seems to want the ball at every opportunity. 

Absolutely spot on.

Even yesterday he was demanding where he wanted the ball to be played during the game. I believe it is due to the superb play of others in our team that he has not had the recognition this season he probably deserves.

His aggressive creativity takes us forward regularly, his recovery tackles are a bonus for a forward player and he has the heart of a lion up there. 

Same heart as, Stiepermann, Onel and TC in our forward line in my opinion.

To anyone that recorded the game, go to around the 60 minute mark to see an absolutely 5 Star strop from Emi. He's a fiery one!

Yes Buendia is a fantastic all round player and looked back to full fitness yesterday 

he’s also good at making sure the ref notices how many times he is getting fouled, which is generally a lot

looking around this team we have a lot of players who are Prem standard IMO and he is one 

2 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

I hope they enjoy a well-deserved day off today.

I doubt it, they’ll be at Colney for warm down as a minimum 😀

Agree Buendia was fantastic. He's one of those players who is far better than his highlight reel suggests - yes he makes lovely passes and touches, but his energy, running, pressing and tackling is what lifts him to the next level.

Ironically I've always thought Vrancic was the opposite - a player who looks great on the highlights but can go missing for parts of the game. Not so yesterday. He was everywhere, tracking back, winning tackles, making things happen. Fully deserved man of the match and his best performance in a City shirt.

Edited by Peanuts

Resurrecting this because I just wanted to single out Ben Godfrey for some specific praise.  Was his best performance in a city shirt thus far, imo.  Klose will have a job getting back in the team if he keeps that up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peanuts said:

Agree Buendia was fantastic. He's one of those players who is far better than his highlight reel suggests - yes he makes lovely passes and touches, but his energy, running, pressing and tackling is what lifts him to the next level.

Ironically I've always thought Vrancic was the opposite - a player who looks great on the highlights but can go missing for parts of the game. Not so yesterday. He was everywhere, tracking back, winning tackles, making things happen. Fully deserved man of the match and his best performance in a City shirt.

Vrancic has been steadily improving and adjusting to the 'rough and tumble of the Championship. Her certainly looked class in his early days but fighting with a rapier is not always the best when the opposition has broadswords.

As stated above he was certainly no shrinking violet yesterday, and has adapted well to Farke's keep or rob them of possession as much as possible.

When Farke first joined us he talked of the team playing the kind of football we would enjoy. This has now come to fruition. Sat's game required the players to go tie to toe physically with Leeds but what we saw (and have been seeing) is as far more adventurous attacking style. No more the tip tapping the ball outside of the box but a style that will remind many of games down the local rec.

Score. Get the ball in the net and to hell with tany 'formation' nonsense whoever is nearest have go,  or be involved.

My thought is that Klose, Hanley, Pinto, Tettey and Rhodes do not have this pace, hence the current tean line up

Of this present team, who could you possibly drop for our next big game? Must be the same team, assuming all fit?

6 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes Buendia is a fantastic all round player and looked back to full fitness yesterday 

he’s also good at making sure the ref notices how many times he is getting fouled, which is generally a lot

looking around this team we have a lot of players who are Prem standard IMO and he is one 

Yep, although he was lucky to get away with another waving a card gesture after Douglas fouled him for the 483rd time!

Leeds fans will be calling for a retrospective 20 game ban no doubt.

Edited by Rivvo
Spellcheck

Yesterday was only our second win against the other top sides. We have played 10 games against them and have 10 points. We only have Boro and Brizzle at home left out of those sides.

That means we have gained 47 points from 20 games against the rest. 

It does look very hopeful for the rest of the season.

21 hours ago, Sooty57 said:

Leeds 67% possession and more shots than us..... statistics..... what a load of b*******s

19 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Sooty57's post doesn't upset me SR, but the level of silliness of it should upset him. The stats he gives are perfectly correct: Leeds had 67% possession and more shots than us. FACT. What he is actually purporting to discredit is not statistics, but the idea that a possession-based strategy and high number of shots per game is the key to success. Fortunately Daniel Farke and his team, together with such other "idiots" of the game as Pep Guardiola, know otherwise and have the statistics to support them. For a start, they know that a successful strategy is one that gets the best results most of the time, not necessarily every time. I wonder if Sooty57 smokes ........

21 hours ago, Sooty57 said:

19 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Sooty57's post doesn't upset me SR, but the level of silliness of it should upset him. The stats he gives are perfectly correct: Leeds had 67% possession and more shots than us. FACT. What he is actually purporting to discredit is not statistics, but the idea that a possession-based strategy and high number of shots per game is the key to success. Fortunately Daniel Farke and his team, together with such other "idiots" of the game as Pep Guardiola, know otherwise and have the statistics to support them. For a start, they know that a successful strategy is one that gets the best results most of the time, not necessarily every time. I wonder if Sooty57 smokes ........

4 hours ago, Orly said:

Resurrecting this because I just wanted to single out Ben Godfrey for some specific praise.  Was his best performance in a city shirt thus far, imo.  Klose will have a job getting back in the team if he keeps that up.

He's learning fast. What I particularly liked was his willingness to come storming out of defence at the start of the match when Leeds were obviously not expecting it. In a way it set the tone for the match - we weren't going to be cowed into always playing defensively.

He's quick, powerful & has good footballing skills. This team just gets better & better!

Edited by ron obvious
wrong word!
  • Like 1

What also needs resurrecting is the second half of our recent win over Birmingham. Remember DF afterwards saying it was an opportunity to practice and improve our ability when it comes to defending a lead? Second half yesterday was perfect vindication.

7 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Surely it will be a local Weatherspoons.........................

7 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Surely it will be a local Weatherspoons.........................

1 minute ago, westcoastcanary said:

What also needs resurrecting is the second half of our recent win over Birmingham. Remember DF afterwards saying it was an opportunity to practice and improve our ability when it comes to defending a lead? Second half yesterday was perfect vindication.

Absolutely spot on!

noticeable too in DF’s interview he seemed to be happier with the 2nd half 

3 hours ago, Orly said:

Spot on. He chose this match to be absolutely immense for us, given his age. If Cantwell can fight his way beck in with a similar performance we will have 4 academy players in our first 11 again. 

How impressive is that!

23 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Shouldn't that read: "Huge discredit to the many fans who had written him off"? Do you seriously think the board ever at any time contemplated getting rid of DF? 

Its a fairly apparent trend with the Norwich board that they'll give managers plenty of time rather than rushing to sack at the first cluster of bad results. Very refreshing in this day and age. Won't always be the right decision, but far better than flailing between managers every half season as a lot seem to.