Sign in to follow this  
Kingston Yellow

A very disappointing day

Hard to understand.  2nd in the Champs. Incredible season so far.  Yet, several injuries in key positions and a dip in form, yet basically no new signings.  I hope this doesn’t blow up in our face. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Klose ,Tettey and Leitner all to return in the next week or two leaves us with a fully fit squad....plus the signing of left back cover today leaves us in goid shape.

I would still have liked us to have signed a winger with a bit of pace who could have dobe a similar job to hernandez and buendia fron wide

1 minute ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Hard to understand.  2nd in the Champs. Incredible season so far.  Yet, several injuries in key positions and a dip in form, yet basically no new signings.  I hope this doesn’t blow up in our face. 

Not really sure what you were expecting, DF said at the start of the month that while they were looking, he was quite happy to go with what he has. We've brought in potentially, a left sided player to 'help' should Lewis get injured with a view to next season. Several youngsters have also been signed adding potential down the line. Added to the fact that we don't have any money and the desire not to introduce an unknown quantity into the dressing room, I'm wondering what, or who you were hoping for. 

You've got to trust Webber and Farke, they've always played the long game! Looking forward to seeing McLean get more game time. Also, agree with the above that Klose, Tettey and Leitner coming back will help...also hoping we'll see Grant Hanley play and return to form. Pretty much everyone in the squad has contributed at some point this season, otherwise they've gone on loan...

19 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Klose ,Tettey and Leitner all to return in the next week or two leaves us with a fully fit squad....plus the signing of left back cover today leaves us in goid shape.

I would still have liked us to have signed a winger with a bit of pace who could have dobe a similar job to hernandez and buendia fron wide

The new guy Heise is fast and can play on the wing so another option there. Just a shame he came through the ranks at Frankfurt not Farnborough

Those 3 late deals for WBA in Montiero, Johansen and Murphy make them strong in my book.

Whatever we think of Murphy he did score a dozen goals for us in this league a couple of seasons ago and if he can contribute to the goals they already have in them in the likes of Gayle and Rodriguez , I'd be amazed if they dont force their way into the top 2 come the end of the season......the question is, at the expense of who??

As we know to our considerable cost, getting new players in the January window is not guaranteed to make a positive difference.

Sometimes "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is the wise decision.

• Like 3

Well this again is all about money. I agree with MP here, as there was no need to make many signings just for the sake of it. West Brom have money to spend , we don't and we knew we didn't. 

We actually signed more players than I thought we would.

I agree that West Brom now LOOK odds on for promotion now , but they still have to show it on the football field.

I don't agree West Brom are odds on for promotion. Two very good reasons for that - Leeds and Norwich. They have a strong set up, but take Saturday for instance, up against Middsbro who are quite capable of grinding out a 0-0. It's still very open imo. 

WBA have strengthened their squad, but with Harvey Barnes going they have a weaker starting XI. Murphy and Montero are not close to being as good as Barnes is. 

They have issues in defence and have brought in attacking players - I’m not sure they have had a great window really. 

Sheff U have probably strengthened the most in the areas where they needed. They have created a lot of good chances and failed to put them away (unless they fall to Sharp). Hogan could be an excellent addition for them if he can restore his previous form. 

Ultimately, no one has really ‘moved the needle’ with their January dealings. 

• Like 1

Will Murphy replace Mason Holgate or what his name is on loan from Everton, was reputred to be outstanding against us set up Gayle for opener I don't think so both right wingers.  And their defence does not compare with their attack.  City have it in their hands get the job done.

Think we missed the boat with Murphy. If we miss out on promotion the BOD will sell Aarons,  Lewis  and Pukki to do our usual balance the books

Think your a victim of your own expectations to be honest. Never thought we'd bring in anyone apart from maybe a loan, not sure I see an obvious area in the squad that we need to upgrade on.

30 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Sheff U have probably strengthened the most in the areas where they needed. They have created a lot of good chances and failed to put them away (unless they fall to Sharp). Hogan could be an excellent addition for them if he can restore his previous form. 

Touch harsh on McGoldrick

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Touch harsh on McGoldrick

He’s been really good for them in their build up play and closing down people etc. but he tends to miss quite a lot of chances. Hogan offers them something different - although hard to know if Hogan is half the player he was after the injuries. 

If we had parachute money coming in still then we'd probably be splashing the cash, but we've got a much better squad than we thought we had at the beginning of the season, so I'm glad we spent so little money.

Who wants to be in the Premiership anyway? It's like they say about childbirth: "If you remembered the pain you'd never go through it again."

42 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He’s been really good for them in their build up play and closing down people etc. but he tends to miss quite a lot of chances. Hogan offers them something different - although hard to know if Hogan is half the player he was after the injuries. 

I’m not sure if Sharp and Hogan will start games together. If they’re chasing a game then yes but I think that Hogan has moved from Villas bench to Sheff Utd’s

Most posters have been talking about cover rather than a starter. I think we have to appreciate anyone coming to the club at the moment is probably being told they are cover to start with. Top players wouldn't want that so you end up with players no better than we already have. 

It sounds like we have covered the left side now so I think not spending money on wages, and knowing they would have to be home grown, has been the reason for nothing exciting happening.

But isn't matchday exciting enough at the moment anyway?

Think every NCFC  fan wants to see us in TP but unless we have someone come in with huge investment it's going to be the same as before when we went up. Chasing shadows against the top 6, hoping for a win against the those in mid table and being able to compete with the bottom 6

Striving for the 40 points just to watch Premiership

This season at CR has been an eye opener with excitement not seen since 1959

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think we have to appreciate anyone coming to the club at the moment is probably being told they are cover to start with

Fair point - Are Zimmermann and Godfrey covering for Hanley and Klose?  Are Vrancic and Trybull covering for Tettey and Leitner? Possibly in both situations, but on the whole they've done really well.

The great thing about our squad is that we have good players and good cover in all positions - now including Heise at either left back or left midfield.

I'm not sure if any signing would have 'been up to speed' with how farke wants the team to play - so it would have just been a case of them sat on the bench at the most.

Our strength has not been in signing players ready to go, but in developing those that maybe previously looked 'ordinary. Steiperman and Buendia have been a clear case in point, as has Pukki.  Aarons, Onel and now even Sr Benny look the part.

We have been in the top two for a few weeks now. That is not by the 'lads needing a hand'.

What the transfer window has shown is that the club are planning well ahead (Heise) and by the number of youngsters signed. The academy looks to be working on finding 16-18 year olds and developing them. A 'production line that takes time but has benefited us with Aarons, Lewis, Gordon and Cantwell and will certainly see more to follow.

So nope, there's no disappointment for me - just the sheer surprise and delight at where we are in the table.

4 hours ago, daly said:

This season at CR has been an eye opener with excitement not seen since 1959

Hmmm....which could only be realistically verified as a true comparison by anyone over 70 yrs old I would surmise ?

Edited by C.I.D

4 hours ago, Making Plans said:

So where were you in 1992/3?

The time with Lambert as well. It wasn't that long ago.....

9 hours ago, king canary said:

Think your a victim of your own expectations to be honest. Never thought we'd bring in anyone apart from maybe a loan, not sure I see an obvious area in the squad that we need to upgrade on.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s very simple.  The decision not to have bolstered the squad, in view of all the injuries, will either look incredibly clever or incredibly stupid. 

Personally, it reminds me of Chase not investing when we were top of old Div 1 at Christmas.   

The coach has done his job and delivered an incredible season so far.  Unfortunately, we’ve picked up injuries to crititical players over the Xmas period and the board are sitting on millions from the previous few transfer windows.  Personally, I’m disappointed that they’ve not invested sensibly to support the coach. 

1 minute ago, Kingston Yellow said:

As far as I’m concerned, it’s very simple.  The decision not to have bolstered the squad, in view of all the injuries, will either look incredibly clever or incredibly stupid. 

Personally, it reminds me of Chase not investing when we were top of old Div 1 at Christmas.   

The coach has done his job and delivered an incredible season so far.  Unfortunately, we’ve picked up injuries to crititical players over the Xmas period and the board are sitting on millions from the previous few transfer windows.  Personally, I’m disappointed that they’ve not invested sensibly to support the coach. 

The board blatantly aren’t sitting on millions. Anyone who thinks so hasn’t been paying attention to the accounts or reality. 

Apart from Thompson and Morris, who can’t be called ‘key players’, everyone will be back in time for the Ipswich game. 

As King Canary says there really aren’t any areas where I think Norwich would be able to improve in the January window - the most expensive and difficult to deal in window. I don’t look at any of the signings made by Norwich’s rivals this January and think “ah, he’d be better than what Norwich currently have”. In reality Webber managed to get everyone Norwich needed in the summer, so unlike some of our rivals we haven’t had to go a whole season with key weaknesses. Imagine how far Leeds might be ahead if they’d sorted out the obviously need for a keeper last summer. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The board blatantly aren’t sitting on millions. Anyone who thinks so hasn’t been paying attention to the accounts or reality. 

Apart from Thompson and Morris, who can’t be called ‘key players’, everyone will be back in time for the Ipswich game. 

As King Canary says there really aren’t any areas where I think Norwich would be able to improve in the January window - the most expensive and difficult to deal in window. I don’t look at any of the signings made by Norwich’s rivals this January and think “ah, he’d be better than what Norwich currently have”. In reality Webber managed to get everyone Norwich needed in the summer, so unlike some of our rivals we haven’t had to go a whole season with key weaknesses. Imagine how far Leeds might be ahead if they’d sorted out the obviously need for a keeper last summer. 

What you’re talking about Bethnal, is that the owners have taken their cash out.  Anyone who thinks this isn’t so, hasn’t been paying attention.  

What I’m talking about, is the owners backing the coach.  Like I said, it will either look incredibly clever or incredibly stupid.  

9 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

What you’re talking about Bethnal, is that the owners have taken their cash out.  Anyone who thinks this isn’t so, hasn’t been paying attention.  

What I’m talking about, is the owners backing the coach.  Like I said, it will either look incredibly clever or incredibly stupid.  

The club have backed Farke with all the cash that is available.