Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

The home grown issue.

Seems pretty strange to me that we haven't bagged at least someone on loan to cover the rules. I'm not panicking too much as I'm pretty happy with our squad, it's just that we basically have to pick the same 7 players (-oxborough) in the squad. I'd rather have a bit more variety, keep the lads on their toes.

Would hope we use oxborough on the bench at least and ship McGovern off so we aren't completely inflexible as to who we pick on a match day. There must be some kid in the prem who is a tad better than what we have in the youth that can give us a bit more help; perhaps a winger where we only really have Hernandez as a direct option.

Do we get issued with home grown players ?

If so, whoever does the issuing should issue some more.

He's right though, we are thin on the ground when it comes to this particular rule, say five of our current roster of home grown got injured. We would pretty much have to play academy players.

We are certainly getting closer to the wire on this than I think is sensible.  Ultimately all it generally means is potentially naming a few untried youngsters on the bench, like we did at Sheff Weds, but it does seem completely unnecessary.

I guess the problem is that anyone with enough quality to make a difference more than say Spyrou or Idah would costs decent money. Look at Dan James supposedly worth £10m after 2 goals and 4 assists in the championship. Not saying he's a bad player but when that's what £10m gets you for a home grown player, it's easy to see why we haven't been able to dip into that market.

Totally correct TJ, had the same convo with friends today, we can't afford to **** money on home grown players to fill the bench as they'd probably cost more than than the players we put on the pitch who were cheaper and probably a damn sight better

In Farke (and Webber) I trust. If they’re not worried, neither am I. If this is the worst problem we have, that’s an excellent sign of what we are achieving.

• Like 1

I guess that's why the likes of Jordan Mutch were linked. Is the free transfer window open still if we get desperate?

Edited by Tetteys Jig

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

In Farke (and Webber) I trust. If they’re not worried, neither am I. If this is the worst problem we have, that’s an excellent sign of what we are achieving.

Completely agree, i was just nit picking. Seems the top youngsters from the prem now go off to germany on expensive loan deals anyway.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Webber and generally trust he knows what he is doing, so all I can think is that there are a couple of youngsters that he & Farke feel would be able to step up if needs be. Otherwise the decision to loan out Marshall and actively make us weaker in this area is a confusing one.

With the interest (reportedly) in Idah, I wonder if he could be added to the bench? I am not sure if we need Rhodes and Srbeny on the bench together.

43 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

With the interest (reportedly) in Idah, I wonder if he could be added to the bench? I am not sure if we need Rhodes and Srbeny on the bench together.

I think Farke likes Srebny as a number 10 option, not necessarily a striker. At West Brom, we had Pukki, Rhodes and Srbeny on at the end when we were chasing the equaliser.

Fingers crossed we won't have injuries to any more of our homegrown players.