Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Jacob Murphy

" West Brom are working to complete a loan move for Newcastle’s Jacob Murphy before the deadline.

The Baggies will reportedly cover all of Murphy’s wages as they look to strengthen their squad for an automatic promotion push. "

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Am I bovvered? 😐

enough to bovver to post a reply

The financial consequences if WBA are not promoted this season will be huge. They have spent a lot of money this season. It rarely works out.

Fair play to them, they’ve given their squad a boost to give themselves the best chances. We’ve got greater financial constraints so harder to compete. We will see at the end of the season if sticking or twisting wins out!

That said, the signing of a quality LB/LW/CDM on the cheap is exactly the kind of business we want to be doing. I think we’ve done okay and kept all our best assets for now which was just as key as anything else.

They looked a decent side in our recent game and I think they'll have enough to finish in the top two. Beat Leeds and the Binners and we can still secure the other automatic spot. Big game tomorrow, can't wait!

Edited by Fuzzar
typo

3 big signings - Johansen was terrific for Fulham last season, Montero and Murphy will do ok - I'm pleased we didn't go for Murphy; that ship has sailed.

The other factor that West Brom have that we don't is the ability to pay these 3 players' wages.  These 3 are probably on £200,00 a week all together - albeit their home clubs will probably be paying a fair percentage.  We just don't have that sort of money available.

I agree that the top 2 places look like being between Leeds, WBA and Sheff U and us.

WBA score goals and while you can do that, you will be in with a chance of winning. I would still rate their chances highly and lets face it. if he had come back to us on loan, most would be delighted.

I would be really interested to know if we made any enquiries about him coming to us.

wouldve been a handy option but wouldn’t play him above Hernandez or Buendia.

i think he would’ve chosen WBA anyhow, it’s a bit embarrassing to come back to the club you’ve been sold by and admit you weren’t really good enough for your new club....bit like going back to an ex with your tail between your legs!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

WBA score goals and while you can do that, you will be in with a chance of winning. I would still rate their chances highly and lets face it. if he had come back to us on loan, most would be delighted.

Yep, and so do we (we are 2nd top scorers) so we have a really high chance also. We can respect them, but they will respect us also. It's going to be fascinating. They have Stoke/Villa/Leeds and Derby away, Sheff Utd at home, and at least they , or Derby could be in the Q/Fs of the FA Cup

The three that West Brom have loaned, are not regulars in their own teams , so are not match ready, and as soon as they are, who will they displace? Barnes is the only one that needs a slot filling. They are a good team, no doubt, but , as has been said, their financial/football model comes with a huge risk.

They carry all the pressure, imo

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

I would be really interested to know if we made any enquiries about him coming to us.

wouldve been a handy option but wouldn’t play him above Hernandez or Buendia.

I just don't think he fits the Farke style to be honest. He's very much a direct, head down, run and shoot sort of player and mainly based around pace and power rather than the short pass and move type style of play. Josh always struck me as the more technical of the two and he didn't quite fit either.

Think he'll fit in well at West Brom though.

• Like 1

I've just read that Wes has has his contract extended to the end of the season at West Brom too. 

If they are in the playoffs rather than going up automatically, he might not be able to play in the Russ v Wes testimonial!! 

54 minutes ago, king canary said:

Think he'll fit in well at West Brom though.

He has to hit the ground running and make an impact straight away or the fans will soon start getting on his back. If they are serious about promotion, they will want more than his occasional flashes of brilliance. I'm well aware he did well in his season in the championship with us, but he was "one of ours" which allowed him some slack.   Was popular for a while in Newastle so may make an impact, but does he have the necessary qualities to help get a team promoted?  Will be interesting to see how he gets on.....

I think Jacob was a very good player at Champs level but inconsistent and lacking wider awareness of the game.  Also Champs FBs are able to get away with more physical challenges than in the Prem, which he always struggled to cope with.

For me, he would not get a starting place in our side now when everyone is fit, so it wouldn't make sense to bring him in purely as cover, even if we could afford it.

Adding Jacob and the other guys to their squad merely somewhat strengthens what is already there really, namely a team, like Leeds, who have spent high amounts of money on transfer fees and WBA and Leeds are undoubtedly the pundits two favourite teams to get auto promotion. That likely suits us and Sheff. Utd, both we and Wilders lot know what we face, but its been that way for months.

If they can start winning more than drawing, Boro could join  into the top 4 also. Beyond that, the race for 6th spot is up for grabs, as it often is. I guess Derby would be the likely team to get that. Anyway, i wish both Jacob and Wes well. Reality of the table is that any of the top 4 or 5 can get into the final top 2 come end of season, just delighted that its early February and we are in that mix.

55 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He has to hit the ground running and make an impact straight away or the fans will soon start getting on his back. If they are serious about promotion, they will want more than his occasional flashes of brilliance. I'm well aware he did well in his season in the championship with us, but he was "one of ours" which allowed him some slack.   Was popular for a while in Newastle so may make an impact, but does he have the necessary qualities to help get a team promoted?  Will be interesting to see how he gets on.....

I think that would be true if he was going to be their main man but I think with the talent they have going forward the burden will be shared (like it was with us under Neil).