Sign in to follow this  
BobLoz3

Bielsa names squad for Saturday...already!

Tweet has been deleted now but earlier on, Bielsa decided to name the squad for Saturday.

Issue was, they only named 10 men 😂 Confident little devils aren't they?

I must say, Leeds are making quite a fuss and a bit of fanfare about Saturday while we just go about our business quietly and humbly as we have done all season. I know what I prefer... I would absolutely enjoy rubbing this in Leeds faces come the weekend.

I read a stat that claimed that Bielsa's Teams tend to fade as the season progresses due to the huge demands he places on his players. I can't remember where I read it, let's hope it starts this Saturday. 

It was said that he named team early and then spied on training to see how the opposition adapted their team after his early team announced 

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bielsa regulary announces his team a day or two before a match - it is nothing unusual for him. 

Only 10 men as he didn’t want to name Dan James in the team before he signs from Swansea. 

Casllia, Ayling, Jansson, Cooper, Alioski, Forshaw, Harrison, Klich, Roberts, Hernandez, Roofe.

Looks like 11 to me, whether they sign Dan James or not

Edited by Excited Canary

8 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

Casllia, Ayling, Jansson, Cooper, Alioski, Forshaw, Harrison, Klich, Roberts, Hernandez, Roofe.

Looks like 11 to me, whether they sign Dan James or not

The tweet I saw has only 10 names. I guess that was a misquote from the press conference. 

11 minutes ago, Number9 said:

It was said that he named team early and then spied on training to see how the opposition adapted their team after his early team announced 

Naming the team early isn’t particularly rare in other countries, it happens very regulary in the World Cup also. 

The UK is probably the most paranoid about keeping everything secret with transfers or team selection etc. 

• Like 2

barring injuries I dont see why you wouldnt name the team - shows confidence in  the players to deliver the coaches plan and their own ability to identify and rectify it if needed.  I dont think its a misinformation thing either...

its not that he is going to change his style to suit us and we are unlikely to change ours either. 

Edited by ZLF

Meh.  Tbh barring injuries we would all pretty much be able to name nearly all of our starting XI now.  Plus, there’s nothing ‘binding’ in that XI Leeds have put down, it’s the one they do on Saturday that counts.

Yes the suggestion was that he would name the team and then spy on the other side in training to see how they reacted. 

Interesting that their form has been pretty wobbly of late with 3 defeats out of their last 5 league games....

For City, I'm pretty sure naming the team shortly after 2pm for a 3pm kick off (etc) has been standard practice for our last few managers, if not before.

I think EFL rules state that the team needs to be handed into the ref by 1.45pm for a 3pm kick off? (or 75 mins before kick offs at other times).  That was one of the things that got Wilder in such a lather about the bus being late to Bramall Lane.

Teams are always posted to social media one hour before kick off, though we've had a couple of games where the published team and the team that started the game were different (Klose and Zimmermann not starting).  I can only assume that happens with the agreement between the ref and the managers.

3 defeats in 5 games is interesting - I watched them v Derby on TV and they looked very good value for their 2-0 win.

Just now, It's Character Forming said:

Yes the suggestion was that he would name the team and then spy on the other side in training to see how they reacted. 

Interesting that their form has been pretty wobbly of late with 3 defeats out of their last 5 league games....

For City, I'm pretty sure naming the team shortly after 2pm for a 3pm kick off (etc) has been standard practice for our last few managers, if not before.

The 2pm announcement is when the team sheet is given to the media, that is agreed in the club’s media obligation contract that the league agrees - so is universal for all clubs. I believe the teams sheets have to be handed to the referee and opposing team before then and any changes after that have to be agreed by the opposing manager. 

When a player is injured in the warm up for example you need the opposing manger’s consent to take them out of the starting line up. Their is a gentleman’s agreement that consent is always given. 

28 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I think EFL rules state that the team needs to be handed into the ref by 1.45pm for a 3pm kick off? (or 75 mins before kick offs at other times).  That was one of the things that got Wilder in such a lather about the bus being late to Bramall Lane.

Teams are always posted to social media one hour before kick off, though we've had a couple of games where the published team and the team that started the game were different (Klose and Zimmermann not starting).  I can only assume that happens with the agreement between the ref and the managers.

3 defeats in 5 games is interesting - I watched them v Derby on TV and they looked very good value for their 2-0 win.

Ah, it's just me becoming aware of it on Twitter about 2.10pm then !!

Yes, their last 5 league games takes us back to 29th December when they lost 2-0 at home to Hull, following which they lost 4-2 at Forest, beat Derby at home, lost 2-1 at Stoke, and then they came back against Rotherham away to win 2-1.  It's not exactly a fantastic run of form, although they are much more solid at home where you could argue the defeat to Hull is a blip. Saturday is a massive game as you'd expect between 1st and 2nd, but certainly not make or break for either side.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Meh.  Tbh barring injuries we would all pretty much be able to name nearly all of our starting XI now.  Plus, there’s nothing ‘binding’ in that XI Leeds have put down, it’s the one they do on Saturday that counts.

This. It's noticeable that the " Team for xxxx" threads on here are much less busy. One, because pretty much all of us can see what our best team is from the players available at the time, and two, Farke seems to stick rather than twist. Both with team selection and when making substitutions I guess.

18 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bielsa regulary announces his team a day or two before a match - it is nothing unusual for him. 

Only 10 men as he didn’t want to name Dan James in the team before he signs from Swansea. 

A colleague of mine just said he was reading a BBC article which stated that Bielsa had named his side early TWICE this season and on both occasions lost the game...

Interesting...

I don't know for sure if that's right as I don't really religiously follow what those Leeds lot are up to.

As someone else said above... Pretty easy to name our team at the moment! Reckon I could nail it in one! 😊

49 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

BUMP!

That didn't work out well, did it, MB?

Every time he’s done it this season they’ve lost, which contrary to popular belief was only the third time he’s done it this campaign. If Leeds fail to go up then these are exactly the things that will be highlighted and clutchstrawed in their failure to do so, when the Leeds fans look for answers as to what went wrong at the end of the season. Will be very interesting to see if he names his team early for Middlesbrough. Personally, I think he should button it, but that’s just me. 

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Every time he’s done it this season they’ve lost, which contrary to popular belief was only the third time he’s done it this campaign. If Leeds fail to go up then these are exactly the things that will be highlighted and clutchstrawed in their failure to do so, when the Leeds fans look for answers as to what went wrong at the end of the season. Will be very interesting to see if he names his team early for Middlesbrough. Personally, I think he should button it, but that’s just me. 

Yeah scroll up man! Exactly what I was saying a while back 😊

3 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yeah scroll up man! Exactly what I was saying a while back 😊

I think I also read somewhere that’s he only started again since he got rumbled in spygate?

Probaby Leeds way of trying to counter their spying by telling everyone that they give the opposition an unfair advantage of knowing who will start for them 😂