Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Can someone fix football please?

Potentially Liverpool and Leeds winning their respective leagues. Not sure I can handle either fanbase....

Wouldn’t mind at all if Liverpool win, Klopp seems a decent chap. And if Leeds ( though I have no regard for them)  finish top and we go up second I won’t be complaining at all. 

I think ‘mend’ might be a better word to use!🙂

It would certainly be a long way back for the respective divisions if Liverpool win tonight and we lose to Leeds on Sat, but there’s still tonnes of games to go and plenty of big games/slip-ups to come.

Think you might have to live with it Hogesar because it's clearly the year of Onel.😉

As it stands the leaders of the divisions are:

Liverpool

Leeds

Luton

Lincoln

Leyton Orient.

Of course it might just be a Neo Liberal conspiracy. Ask that fellow Len who posts so often on the EU thread. (Note how the words Liberal and Len also begin with L - spooky). 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Klopp is a good guy, but I can't bloody stand Liverpool. I'd laugh so hard if they tanked again.

Wouldn't mind Leeds going up – too many tinpot clubs in the Prem for my liking (Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Watford, Cardiff, Burnley, Palace, Fulham). The Prem would be better if we had the likes of us, Leeds, Derby, Forest, West Brom, Stoke and Wednesday back in it. Proper clubs with proper fan bases.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Klopp is a good guy, but I can't bloody stand Liverpool. I'd laugh so hard if they tanked again.

Wouldn't mind Leeds going up – too many tinpot clubs in the Prem for my liking (Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Watford, Cardiff, Burnley, Palace, Fulham). The Prem would be better if we had the likes of us, Leeds, Derby, Forest, West Brom, Stoke and Wednesday back in it. Proper clubs with proper fan bases.

Intrigued why you think Norwich is more a ‘proper’ football club than many of those you’ve listed.

Not really sure what makes a club proper over tinpot either. Especially as Burnley, one of the founding members of the Football League, are one of the clubs you think is ‘tinpot’. 

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Intrigued why you think Norwich is more a ‘proper’ football club than many of those you’ve listed.

Not really sure what makes a club proper over tinpot either. Especially as Burnley, one of the founding members of the Football League, are one of the clubs you think is ‘tinpot’. 

Sh*te stadiums and/or half-empty stands. I like the Bundesliga where pretty much every stadium is full every week, that's how I'd personally like the Prem to be.

Not sure how being a founder member is relevant – so were Accrington! In the modern day, Burnley are a relatively small club with a tinpot little stadium.

My statement was a little bit playful, I admit I was fishing a bit – just trying to stimulate discussion 🙂

In 1995 we'd probably have been one of the 'tinpot' clubs – 15,000 every week, rickety old South Stand… but thankfully we now have four decent stands full of people and can categorically be described as 'proper'.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is one of my least favourite attitudes in football.

The obsession with other clubs not being 'big enough' based on some arbitrary criteria, as if you only deserve to be in the top tier if you've been there before. It's the kind of argument clubs who can't get their **** together make (Forest, Wednesday and Ipswich are perfect examples). 

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Sh*te stadiums and/or half-empty stands. I like the Bundesliga where pretty much every stadium is full every week, that's how I'd personally like the Prem to be.

Not sure how being a founder member is relevant – so were Accrington! In the modern day, Burnley are a relatively small club with a tinpot little stadium.

My statement was a little bit playful, I admit I was fishing a bit – just trying to stimulate discussion 🙂

In 1995 we'd probably have been one of the 'tinpot' clubs – 15,000 every week, rickety old South Stand… but thankfully we now have four decent stands full of people and can categorically be described as 'proper'.

So West Brom who didn't sell out in the Premier League are more proper than Bournemouth, who do? Riiiight.

These lists always come back to 'clubs who were big when I was younger.'

Just now, king canary said:

This is one of my least favourite attitudes in football.

The obsession with other clubs not being 'big enough' based on some arbitrary criteria, as if you only deserve to be in the top tier if you've been there before. It's the kind of argument clubs who can't get their **** together make (Forest, Wednesday and Ipswich are perfect examples). 

I'm not saying football shouldn't be meritocratic, and in some ways it's very good that these smaller clubs can survive – and in some cases thrive – at the top level.

Just now, king canary said:

So West Brom who didn't sell out in the Premier League are more proper than Bournemouth, who do? Riiiight.

These lists always come back to 'clubs who were big when I was younger.'

Bournemouth's stadium holds about 10,000 people. West Brom have a huge fan base, the two clubs aren't even close!

And I didn't include clubs like Middlesbrough, whose fans deserted them when they left the Prem (and they weren't filling the stadium even when they were in the Prem).

I know there's a certain level of arbitrariness in my argument, but I love seeing matches with 30,000+ fans making a ton of noise, that's all. It bores me when I look at the Prem fixture list and I see Watford v Huddersfield and Burnley v Cardiff. By and large they play sh*te football as well (Bournemouth notably excepted).

We all know what he means by "Proper football clubs"

I do have a bit of a gripe when you have some soulless club like Wigan buy their way to the prem only to sit around, not really providing much in front of their 2 fans a week before sinking down again.

It is kind of annoying when we scramble around the 2nd tier on our "self funded" model when a club like Bournemouth run themselves badly for a few years, get lucky with a takeover and buy their way into the top tier. Eddie Howe has done a hell of a job with them though, even with the money. Don't forget we "robbed" grabban off them only for them to go and buy Callum Wilson for even cheaper... that's our loss!

In a way it would be nice to see "proper" teams like Forest and Leeds to be back up where you would reinvigorate a whole city of football fans.

No excuses to them though, it's their fault they haven't been in the prem the last few seasons and until they sort their **** out they don't deserve to be back in the prem, nobody has a god given right to be there. Gotta give Leeds credit this season though, even with all that spygate rubbish.

• Like 1

I think Klopp is a media favourite who get's special treatment from all because he smiles alot.

I know too many Liverpool fans around Norwich who are typical glory-hunting fans and for some reason need to always compare themselves with Norwich (bizarre, irrelevant and a bit small-minded). 

I also know too many Leeds fans; don't think I need to explain what they're like..

• Like 1

If the PL contained all the “proper” (aka entitled IMHO) clubs it would be about 50 strong. Despite the dislike for Johnny-come-latelys like Wigan doing it on the back of a rich investor, how many of us would have turned investment down if it had happened to us instead of Citeh? Having said that, I love the way we are achieving success, it feels so much better than just buying it through brute force spending.

21 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Bournemouth's stadium holds about 10,000 people. West Brom have a huge fan base, the two clubs aren't even close!

I much prefer 10,000 Bournemouth fans actually enjoying themselves than 30,000 Forest fans wanking on about how they won the European cup before most of them were born.

Edited by king canary
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Forest fans wanking on about how they won the European cup before most of them were born.

Forest v 1p5wich would be like an episode of All our yesterdays. 

And Sunderland. Don't forget Sunderland 'cause that is a proper club. I know 'cause I watched the Netflix series. 

Just can't understand how a tinpot club like Luton can be leading their division and Sunderland aren't walking it....

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

And Sunderland. Don't forget Sunderland 'cause that is a proper club. I know 'cause I watched the Netflix series. 

Just can't understand how a tinpot club like Luton can be leading their division and Sunderland aren't walking it....

Disgrace isn't it? Proper clubs should get at least a 10 point head start and these tinpot clubs should have a points taken away for not having won something 40 years ago.

• Like 1