Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Tippy tappy sidewards backwards...

12 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Premiership be warned! We's a-comin' to getcha!!

Let’s just agree it’s great stuff for championship level and it’s thrilling to see us successfully playing this way

The Premier is a whole different... er, league

2 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Let’s just agree it’s great stuff for championship level and it’s thrilling to see us successfully playing this way

The Premier is a whole different... er, league

I would suggest that the way we play football now is actually more suited to the Prem.

So, just wait and see yeah?

It's interesting to watch that in comparison to last season- how many players are looking for the forward pass, how high the fullbacks are encouraged to push, how much the players move off the ball. 

At times we played like that last season. One game that springs to mind is the Bolton game (famous for Webber's "support someone else") but we had no end product. I was very anti Farke football up until then but since then you could see this coming together. Many said so at the time. Transition had become a dirty word on here but what else could we call it?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, king canary said:

It's interesting to watch that in comparison to last season- how many players are looking for the forward pass, how high the fullbacks are encouraged to push, how much the players move off the ball. 

As nutty says, there were signs last season. The point is that, apart from the players to whom the style of play was, let's say, less alien, e.g. our German contingent, Klose, the rest were learning on the hoof. It doesn't work unless everyone on the pitch understands what they need to do to make it work. Compare this season's Hernandez (or Cantwell) with last season's Josh M, for example. Last season the understanding was developing but far from perfect (still isn't perfect) across the group as a whole. And if X isn't on the wavelength, Y can't make the pass he wanted to make and Z can't make the run that would have collected the pass, and so on.

In that clip what stands out is the confidence of the players that the others are going to be in the right places at the right times.

The interesting point for me can be put in terms of the idea of a "playmaker". You might ask whether, currently, Vrancic is our "playmaker"; when Leitner plays, is he our "playmaker"? As I see it, the answer is No! Our play is not orchestrated by any particular player with the ball, but by the players without the ball. Vrancic and Leitner "initiate" a play, but they don't "make" the play. You might describe Vrancic and Leitner as "fulcrums" of much of our play, but you might also say the same of Stiepermann and Buendia when the play is further up the pitch.

Edited by westcoastcanary
Added last paragraph.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

As nutty says, there were signs last season. The point is that, apart from the players to whom the style of play was, let's say, less alien, e.g. our German contingent, Klose, the rest were learning on the hoof. It doesn't work unless everyone on the pitch understands what they need to do to make it work. Compare this season's Hernandez (or Cantwell) with last season's Josh M, for example. Last season the understanding was developing but far from perfect (still isn't perfect) across the group as a whole. And if X isn't on the wavelength, Y can't make the pass he wanted to make and Z can't make the run that would have collected the pass, and so on.

This is true and yet I still think Farke has given a bit more license to players this season- for example last season our fullbacks didn't seem to have the trust to push so high, meaning the space created by the wide midfielders tucking in wasn't taken advantage of.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

This is true and yet I still think Farke has given a bit more license to players this season- for example last season our fullbacks didn't seem to have the trust to push so high, meaning the space created by the wide midfielders tucking in wasn't taken advantage of.

Well, neither Pinto nor, later, Reed on the right flank were endowed with Aarons' pace, similarly neither Husband nor Stiepermann on the left (Lewis played only 18 league games). But more importantly IMO, and what I think is the real explanation, the often far from perfect execution last season meant much greater risk of breakdown in the middle third, leading to the team as a whole playing deeper than we are witnessing now.

14 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Well, neither Pinto nor, later, Reed on the right flank were endowed with Aarons' pace, similarly neither Husband nor Stiepermann on the left (Lewis played only 18 league games). But more importantly IMO, and what I think is the real explanation, the often far from perfect execution last season meant much greater risk of breakdown in the middle third, leading to the team as a whole playing deeper than we are witnessing now.

I think this is going to be an agree to disagree one here- in my opinion there is a material and structural difference between the football we play now and the football we tried to play last season. Not huge, but it is there. 

5 hours ago, king canary said:

I think this is going to be an agree to disagree one here- in my opinion there is a material and structural difference between the football we play now and the football we tried to play last season. Not huge, but it is there. 

👍 No problem. I learn more by disagreeing with you :classic_biggrin: