Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Full support till the death !

Thought the team played well against a good Sheff Utd and the crowd were quite responsive throughout Barclay looked superb and gave great support. Final score was fair in my opinion and it was a great advert for championship football.

We have at city one of the most exciting teams we have seen for decades taking to the hallowed turf and anything could happen this season, despite the expert's pre season predictions of a mid table finish. 

Grit, flair, determination and local endeavour in abundance from our players virtually every single game. We are witnessing a team to remember. 

I took a different seat today as another family member came. Sitting in another part of the stand I was absolutely stunned with the open show of apathy around me. Without fear of contradiction, roughly 50% of our 'support' in the two rows in front of me failed to respond to the team's efforts through the entire game!

I remarked to a chap next to me how passive some were and he agreed it is disappointing.

There were a large number of supporters who attended who did not make a sound, clap or even move throughout the whole game except for the goals. Even when witnessing excellent efforts on goals, great clearances, last ditch corners or even substitutes, not a single peep.

Yes, you pay your money, you make your choice, but Christ on a bike, show some emotion for our efforts, put your hands together, just once for excellent play, give a small response or even a slight acknowledgment of your team.

Apathy, entitlement or did I just find myself amongst the sponsored silence group today? 

Plenty of tuttering though!

Never understood why people pay good money  and not get involved. I always sing, clap, swear ( company permitting) and often as not I'm out of my seat. It's the look of disdain that I get that really bugs me, like I should be sectioned.  We're 2nd for chrissakes, if you aren't enjoying it now, you never will. 

River End, Nutty.

Don't get me wrong there are tons of individuals supporting the team in there, and so they should considering the efforts on show, but there is a large sway of people who would literally make more noise in a library from just having to choose a book!

It is absolutely frustrating.

And yes if you dare shout encouragement at a crucial moment during an attack...………...well stand by for distained looks and collective tuttering.

Sounds like I'm brand new to this supporting lark, unfortunately I'm not and this has been a trend for many years. It is probably down to a lack of available seats and an increasing aging support. Most clubs suffer this, but most clubs do not have our level of entertainment on offer!

Ho hum...…...

Don't think it's an age related thing Easty. The ones behind me who don't like me being vocal can't be more than half my age. Real critics too. If I played "critic catchphrase bingo" I'd get a full house before 15 mins on the clock.😯🙃 

Some of them think that they're 'students of the game ' remember sitting next to a young fella against Leicester, Vardy 'tripped' over Bassong's trailing leg as they chased a ball going out for a goal kick.  Clattenburg, who has ruined more games than I care to remember, decided to give a penalty. This joker was of the opinion that it was Howson's fault as he'd lost possession on the half way line..... but, as he's not emotionally involved he must be right. 

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Don't think it's an age related thing Easty. The ones behind me who don't like me being vocal can't be more than half my age. Real critics too. If I played "critic catchphrase bingo" I'd get a full house before 15 mins on the clock.😯🙃 

Spot on. It amuses immensely me when those same said critics complain about a run, pass or passage of play, only for it to turn out to be a superb piece of skill, before the dribble, nonsense or utter ignorant point is completed. But at least those types make noise I guess.

8 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Some of them think that they're 'students of the game '

My point is I suppose, as you say, we have many 'students of the game' (very amusing analogy by the way). Many of these, who must have seen some of our darkest days (including being able to actually sit on the terracing at home games, when back in old First Division, such was our numbers and footballing fare on offer).

To now witness our team, crafted over the last two seasons playing some of Carrow Road's best football, and for a large number to sit there without a murmur of support or acknowledgement, is quite incredible.

That area of the River end has an infection of apathy. I will continue to shout and cheer...…………..**** the doom mongers

Edited by East Rider

Back in the mid/late seventies I'd go to London games on my own and if I'd brought my boots, I would have been on the bench such was the poor level of traveling support.  However I've always preferred away games because in recent years we've got a much better following, they're far more vocal and there's nothing better than seeing us win away. 

14 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Some of them think that they're 'students of the game ' remember sitting next to a young fella against Leicester, Vardy 'tripped' over Bassong's trailing leg as they chased a ball going out for a goal kick.  Clattenburg, who has ruined more games than I care to remember, decided to give a penalty. This joker was of the opinion that it was Howson's fault as he'd lost possession on the half way line..... but, as he's not emotionally involved he must be right. 

Well, to be fair, if Howson hadn’t lost possession on the halfway line, Vardy wouldn’t have been near the box and couldn’t have “tripped over” Bassong’s leg. Young fella makes a good point 😉

6 hours ago, Aggy said:

Well, to be fair, if Howson hadn’t lost possession on the halfway line, Vardy wouldn’t have been near the box and couldn’t have “tripped over” Bassong’s leg. Young fella makes a good point 😉

You could argue that but how far back do you go? Was the pass to Howson under hit or over hit? Was that player being tackled at the time, forcing him to hurry his pass? Yes, there are times when it's easy to point the finger at one player, this wasn't it. Back on topic, most around me were on their feet at the decision,  the young 'un, who had seen it coming apparently, made no reaction at all, maybe he was a Leicester fan trying to go under the radar. 

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

You could argue that but how far back do you go? Was the pass to Howson under hit or over hit? Was that player being tackled at the time, forcing him to hurry his pass? Yes, there are times when it's easy to point the finger at one player, this wasn't it. Back on topic, most around me were on their feet at the decision,  the young 'un, who had seen it coming apparently, made no reaction at all, maybe he was a Leicester fan trying to go under the radar. 

No, I agree - my comment was very much tongue in cheek!

I don’t think it’s just us who have this problem though. It seems to be most grounds nowadays. I wonder if it has anything to do with whether you played the game as youngsters? I quite enjoy watching rugby for instance but never played it as a kid, and never really get overly passionate about it. Football I did play and I get a lot more “involved” in when watching. 

9 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I don’t think it’s just us who have this problem though. It seems to be most grounds nowadays. I wonder if it has anything to do with whether you played the game as youngsters?

Good point.

It is definitely not just a NCFC problem and there were in the past many games when supporters would be relatively passive. However this season is completely different in so many ways, for us and compared to other clubs. 

We are batting way above our expected position, have a very young and inexperienced team who may, if the season ends well, stick with us for a while and really push on. And we are witnessing some of the best football seen at Carrow Road for many, many years (in my opinion).

Without being pessimistic imaging going to one of the hilarious Jongleurs comedy clubs, as you liked comedy. Seeing a number of superb acts and whilst others around you are in fits of laughter (there were always one or two comics who made you cry with mirth), you and your table of 6 just sat there the whole show stony faced without a single smile or appreciative clapping!

I guess people pay their money, and as such they can do what they like. Just a shame we appear to have so many.

From my experience some of the noisiest and most emotional "fans" are the least supportive.

And in the city stand, the people I hear most talk the most **** tho I haven't heard Mr " Bring on another striker" for a year or two.

I wish I was noisier but personally I just don't have it in me to shout or sing unless I'm in the Barclay or Wembley with others singing. But I'm probably more emotional than most, I often shake and/or tear up at a late goal, and I get so down if we have bad result, it lasts for days,weeks , seasons sometimes!!

But I do applaud ing come norwich etc for trying to build the atmosphere

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

From my experience some of the noisiest and most emotional "fans" are the least supportive. 

And in the city stand, the people I hear most talk the most **** tho I haven't heard Mr " Bring on another striker" for a year or two.

But I do applaud ing come norwich etc for trying to build the atmosphere

Ha ha, I'd rather have an 'expert' giving loud constructive (or not ) comments (without booing of course) than those types who will sit the entire game without even unfolding arms to clap just once. Even when surrounded by others trying to encourage and create an atmosphere.

Display again looked good from our end. I'm hoping it will spread across the Barclay in time for that lot. Would be an impressive display.

😧You've got to realise that a lot go to the football for peace and quiet after a week of nagging from the wife😀

Edited by daly
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Is this the official i am a better fan than you thread ? 😜

Ha ha TIL. Now we all know the best fans sit near the Directors box 😉

16 minutes ago, daly said:

😧You've got to realise that a lot go to the football for peace and quiet after a week of nagging from the wife😀

Very funny 😂. Probably the answer to this whole post

Peoples perceptions of loyalty and what is a good game or the best line up varies so much. I do sympathise with those of you who have moaners say next to you though. You can't get out of the way.

When I started watching City in 1960. I stood on the River End (it was the cheapest) and there were many moaners and experts who you felt like asking why bother to come but the easiest was to move to a better spot.

And Ihad to run the gauntlet of mickey taking in later years when I wore my Keelan Supreme hat!

Earlier this season, the seat of the chap who sits next to me was taken up by another man. This individual decided to give us all a full on running commentary on the game, describing the obvious pass (in his opinion mind) before it happened and explaining (in full) why a move broke down or failed in a goal.

It was soooooooooooooo annoying for the usual crowd, it actually became very funny (for a one game comedy moment only). and I had to stop my self laughing out loud.

Fortunately I have not seen him since and did not have the heart to ask my neighbour if he knew him and lent him the ticket.

If you were to record the noise generated by us solitary plastics watching the match on iFollow, it would likely drown out anything the South Stand manages — or so my wife tells me ............

• Like 2

For the playoff semi vs the scum at home I was fortunate enough to be in the snakepit and as you can imagine it was a cauldron of noise for most of the game, one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

However strangely there was a woman along the row from me who stood and watched silently all game.  Each to their own I guess !

If you were to record the noise generated by us solitary plastics watching the match on iFollow, it would likely drown out anything the South Stand manages — or so my wife tells me ............

I did get some funny looks from Mrs KG. Even though I watch our games on my laptop in the dining room, half the game is spent watching while my son is on the phone as we celebrate or sigh. 

On Saturday, you could see the overload happening for their second goal and the shouts of "mark up", "watch it, watch it" drew a comment from the good lady.

• Haha 1

Have sat all over the ground in my visits in recent years, best place for viewing and atmoshere combined (imo) is in the City stand, just next to the snakepit in either the Thorpe area or the 59'rs.  You get a good view of the pitch from the side and all the noise from the snakepit and Barclay.

Have sat at the the other end of the city stand, but you feel further away from the singing and chanting.  The River End, well I sat there once.....and the South Stand is ok, but I find the acoustics there are not great there. As for the Barclay, I like it, but not the upper, as I find the singing and chanting there is just, well, noise......maybe my hearing isn't what it should be.