Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Sheff Utd

12 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Very serious. I don't rate Krul. At best he is a very average Championship keeper. Thought he was poor again today. 

Got nothing to do with finding scapegoats or not supporting the team - he's just not a very good goalkeeper.

Completely disagree with this. I have seen every goalkeeper we have had as a permanent signing  here since Keelan and I can tell you now he not "just not a very goal goalkeeper'

He perhaps is not the greatest to play for city but he adds things others do not. Experience, maturity and presence to name but a few.

Mark my words we will need characters like him in our team set up once we get to the nasty end of this campaign.

It's what Krul does. Sometimes it works. I have no problem with it. Neither would anyone else if he'd saved it. If doing this meant he saved one more per ten gotta be worth it. Fine margins.

• Like 1

Just the way most people saw it Ricardo. Some saw it differently by the sound of it but that is sport.

I couldn't make my mind up about MOTM. I thought Emi was walking it until the 48th minute of the 1st half. Then I thought Stiepperman because he does bring something to that area between midfield and Teemu. And he isn't frightened to run with it either which I think is obvious if there is no-one in front of you. Then I thought Trybull because he did some great defensive work. In the end I thought Hernandez as well as he defended  his wing a lot better today.

Don't understand the criticism of Krul. I don't think it was warranted based on his performance yesterday.

I think anyone who thought the Blades would let us play to our best underestimates their style and desire and Billy Sharp. Of course a win would have opened a gap but considering so many think we have a rubbish defence, we are still grinding out points with only one recent loss.

We have Leeds and Boro to come from the leading clubs and our record against the lower teams is better than most so I am confident that by Ipswich, with hopefully Mo, Tim and Alex fit, we can go on. We have certainly shown glimpses of how well we can play as a team and we are still managing to score goals which always gives you a chance.

48 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Just the way most people saw it Ricardo. Some saw it differently by the sound of it but that is sport.

I couldn't make my mind up about MOTM. I thought Emi was walking it until the 48th minute of the 1st half. Then I thought Stiepperman because he does bring something to that area between midfield and Teemu. And he isn't frightened to run with it either which I think is obvious if there is no-one in front of you. Then I thought Trybull because he did some great defensive work. In the end I thought Hernandez as well as he defended  his wing a lot better today.

Don't understand the criticism of Krul. I don't think it was warranted based on his performance yesterday.

I think anyone who thought the Blades would let us play to our best underestimates their style and desire and Billy Sharp. Of course a win would have opened a gap but considering so many think we have a rubbish defence, we are still grinding out points with only one recent loss.

We have Leeds and Boro to come from the leading clubs and our record against the lower teams is better than most so I am confident that by Ipswich, with hopefully Mo, Tim and Alex fit, we can go on. We have certainly shown glimpses of how well we can play as a team and we are still managing to score goals which always gives you a chance.

Yes, I'm a bit puzzled over the criticism of Krul. He had a bit of a iffy start but looks reasonably assured now. I think he was expecting Zimmerman to deal with the cross that led to the second goal, as was I if truth be told. Without Klose we look vulnerable to crosses.

We have been fortunate over the years to have had a whole string of fine keepers from Nethercott, Kennon, Keelan, Woods, Gunn etc etc. Green, Forster and Ruddy weren't to shabby either.

Perhaps we've been spoiled.

32 minutes ago, ricardo said:

We have been fortunate over the years to have had a whole string of fine keepers from Nethercott, Kennon, Keelan, Woods, Gunn etc etc. Green, Forster and Ruddy weren't to shabby either.

Perhaps we've been spoiled.

We have indeed been spoiled, and why not. We appear to have a habit over the years of having some superb keepers and of course a few...……...less so.

At this moment and in keeping with our finances Krul is an excellent addition. Would have loved Angus to have stayed but being realistic that was never going to happen.

Their second goal? Quite a few could have done a bit more stop stop that but there is no point or advantage to lay blame. We are were we are because of a team collective and we are one hell of a ride at the moment.

Strap yourselves in !

Their second goal?

Give credit that they overloaded on our left, had time to measure the cross and Sharp, apparently the EFL's highest scorer over the last decade, was in the right spot to finish. Sometimes, a cross is good enough to beat defenders and make it easy for strikers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, East Rider said:

At this moment and in keeping with our finances Krul is an excellent addition. Would have loved Angus to have stayed but being realistic that was never going to happen.

We are were we are because of a team collective and we are one hell of a ride at the moment.

Strap yourselves in !

It's amazing how quickly people forget, we've got very little to spend and we need a 'keeper. We took a punt on a player that's been out for a while but has heaps of experience, given the age of our back four this season I think he's a great choice. Yes, there's been some errors along the way but for all the criticism, and there's been quite a bit, no one has come up with a better option.

I tend to agree. Angus Gunn would have plucked the ball from the air and Sharp would never had scored. Tim is not as agile and I personally would like to replace him next season. If we get promoted could we entice Angus back I wonder? 

1 minute ago, Harry53 said:

I tend to agree. Angus Gunn would have plucked the ball from the air and Sharp would never had scored. Tim is not as agile and I personally would like to replace him next season. If we get promoted could we entice Angus back I wonder? 

Not unless you've got 15 million to splash. 

I remember at least one occasion last season where Gunn went up to punch/catch a cross and actually got beaten in the air by a striker, resulting in us conceding.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I remember at least one occasion last season where Gunn went up to punch/catch a cross and actually got beaten in the air by a striker, resulting in us conceding.

QPR and Sheff Wed away last season.

• Like 1

Thanks Woodman - clearly people remember what they want to remember and see what they want to see regarding Krul and Gunn.

The more important question to me, is why do we seem much more solid (or at least concede fewer goals) away from home, despite having effectively the same line-up and seemingly similar tactics?

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Thanks Woodman - clearly people remember what they want to remember and see what they want to see regarding Krul and Gunn.

The more important question to me, is why do we seem much more solid (or at least concede fewer goals) away from home, despite having effectively the same line-up and seemingly similar tactics?

Because teams attack us away, which suits our Farkeball style quick counterattacking better.  Trying to break teams down or avoid their press at the Carra doesn't fit our natural game. 

It does seem to me we're more prone to switching off for a passage of play in defence at CR.  For example after scoring against Birmingham, suddenly we let them have the ball near the edge of our box with zero pressure and a quick ball through to their lethal striker gave them a goal, or ditto against Millwall when we were 2-1 up, suddenly we stopped defending for a few minutes and bingo they scored twice.

Not saying these never happens away from home, just doesn't seem to be as often.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:36, nutty nigel said:

It's what Krul does. Sometimes it works. I have no problem with it. Neither would anyone else if he'd saved it. If doing this meant he saved one more per ten gotta be worth it. Fine margins.

I find the criticism of Krul at the penalty a bit bizarre, I mean how many keepers have we had who were brought on as a sub purely to play in a penalty shoot-out at the World Cup finals ?  The guy must be pretty decent at saving penalties, shirley ?