Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Performance art... is it even a thing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46955023

Read through the above from BBC arts editor Will Gompertz. Illustrates beautifully why I f**king hate "performance art".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total heathen, I can appreciate something that is actual art, like paintings and sculpture etc. I actually enjoy theatre and literature.

However, I cannot abide this pseudo-intellectual namby pamby shi*. 

He literally writes how it is 2 hours of tedium and boredom.... but "ah, if you turn into a pretentious c**t and change your expectations then it becomes an oblique and challenging masterpiece".

Gompertz is as much of a conman as "astrologists" who give vague and ambiguous predictions that people can read 60 million different ways to pretend it applies to their life. 

He literally makes a living polishing turds and pretending he can see a deeper meaning because he's so intellectual and artistic.

On 26/01/2019 at 10:38, kick it off said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46955023

Read through the above from BBC arts editor Will Gompertz. Illustrates beautifully why I f**king hate "performance art".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total heathen, I can appreciate something that is actual art, like paintings and sculpture etc. I actually enjoy theatre and literature.

However, I cannot abide this pseudo-intellectual namby pamby shi*. 

He literally writes how it is 2 hours of tedium and boredom.... but "ah, if you turn into a pretentious c**t and change your expectations then it becomes an oblique and challenging masterpiece".

Gompertz is as much of a conman as "astrologists" who give vague and ambiguous predictions that people can read 60 million different ways to pretend it applies to their life. 

He literally makes a living polishing turds and pretending he can see a deeper meaning because he's so intellectual and artistic.

Boy disses play he hasn't seen.

Thought I'd check to see what quality additions to the thread RTB has made seeing as I haven't had to read his tripe for months now (God bless the ignore button).

In one post he succinctly displays exactly why I have him on ignore. Firstly, despite knowing I've had him blocked for months, he is still following me round to try and have a pop (I presume this isn't an isolated incident of him responding to my posts, but obviously not clear).

Secondly, he displays an incredible low level of literacy, and somehow can't make the distinction from me criticising the nature of an article I've read, and the wider genre, and me criticising a play that I haven't seen, which I do at no point in the original post.

I merely parrot what Gompertz said, and point out the ridiculous nature of him calling it two hours of tedium and boredom and saying how rubbish it is, then glorifying at the end because he "changed his perspective" and therefore it is no longer sh** as he claimed for 3/4 of the article, it is actually a nuanced masterpiece.

Lesson learned, RTB is still a moron who can't read and is (probably) still bizarrely obsessed with me. I won't bother revealing any of his posts in future. Do yourself a favour RTb and just put me on ignore.

I went to an 'immersive theatre' performance in London once by a company called Punchdrunk. Went full of skepticism but it completely blew me away and changed my perspective.

I think it is important to be open to new things and experiences. However the stuff in the article sounds like a pile of ****.