Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Jacob Murphy

Still think he isn’t as good as Josh.

Jacob had one good season in the Championship (and even half of that season he wasn’t brilliant) and has never replicated that. 

Nowhere near the level of Harvey Barnes and very different type of player. 

16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Nowhere near the level of Harvey Barnes and very different type of player. 

This. If he's the replacement for Barnes then that definitely weakens them.

Buendia is performing better for us than either of them did. Onel is a typical winger, brilliant and rubbish. But more likely to gi past his player than the Murphy's.

Would have been a good loan signing for us IMO. Following Marshall’s loan we’re light on wide players and home grown players, Jacob ticks both boxes. 

Given teams tendencies to boot Emi and Onel all over the place, would be nice to have a more similar option on the bench.

• Like 1

After everything we did for him he couldn't wait to go to his beloved Newcastle.

Good player but obviously not good enough for the PL and probably not good enough to get in our starting X1 now.

Why would we want him back?

Edited by Making Plans

6 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

After everything we did for him he couldn't wait to go to his beloved Newcastle.

Good player but obviously not good enough for the PL and probably not good enough to get in our starting X1 now.

Why would we want him back?

Do you want some salt with your order? 🧂 😂🧂😂🧂😂

After everything we did for him. lol

Premier League football at the club he supports under a world class manager. Not to mention the fact Norwich needed the money.

He's managed and won trophies at some of the world's biggest football clubs. I'd say that makes him world class.

Can't comment on Murphy as a player since he's left because I don't watch Newcastle. For all we know he has improved, maybe the just have better wingers at the club hence why he doesn't play much.

I can think of 4 million reasons a year why he's still at Newcastle.

Even with Buendia and Hernandez I still think a loan for Murphy would’ve been a good move for us, I’d be surprised if we weren’t interested and also surprised if he chose WBA over us...

I'm wondering where his career goes from here,  he's still young, had a taste of the Premiership, and is surplus at a struggling Newcastle.  Does the loan come with an option to buy? What if Albion are promoted? Would they want to keep him? Is he destined to be a Championship journeyman for the next 4 or 5 years? Such a waste, I was at the Bridge the night he and his brother tore Chelsea's expensively assembled youth Team apart, seems like only yesterday. 

It could be thought that City rather cynically cashed in on both and have moved on quickly afterwards.

Both their clubs could well be heading back to the Cahmpionship, while we head bacj to the PL.

My thought has alwaus been that the PL now is a wreckers yard for younger players development. Players need to ;hit the ground running' and instantly be up to speed as the rewards, and costs, for their clubs are far to great to be not be the absolute prime concern.

I wonder how much of their development fizzled out when they left CR ? Compare the improvement to the likes of Aarons. Lewis and Gordon. I thought Steiperman was just a make weight who came as part of a package of Germans..  Zimmerman did not have the 'weight' to be an English CB.

There are others for whom in cannot be luck that they have developed so well. Forgotten men like Pukki, Krul, Rhodes and Leitner. Even the rather (at first) gangly Sir Benny seems better every time I see him.

Both lads may well be missing that 'work behind the scenes'.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

It could be thought that City rather cynically cashed in on both and have moved on quickly afterwards.

Both their clubs could well be heading back to the Cahmpionship, while we head bacj to the PL.

My thought has alwaus been that the PL now is a wreckers yard for younger players development. Players need to ;hit the ground running' and instantly be up to speed as the rewards, and costs, for their clubs are far to great to be not be the absolute prime concern.

I wonder how much of their development fizzled out when they left CR ? Compare the improvement to the likes of Aarons. Lewis and Gordon. I thought Steiperman was just a make weight who came as part of a package of Germans..  Zimmerman did not have the 'weight' to be an English CB.

There are others for whom in cannot be luck that they have developed so well. Forgotten men like Pukki, Krul, Rhodes and Leitner. Even the rather (at first) gangly Sir Benny seems better every time I see him.

Both lads may well be missing that 'work behind the scenes'.

When did Gordon make his comeback?

Murphy wouldn't get in our side when we have a fully fit squad, he's a good player but not good enough for City.

Did well to get the 10 million. Decent lower grade Prem material at best. Good luck to both Murphy's, meanwhile we have moved on.

I think Jacob Murphy could definitely get into our match day squad, but our first 11 now? Unlikely.

T Cantwell, OH and Emi provide a better return over a sustained period and long may it continue.

Agree with Ricardo. The Murphys have moved on and so have we. They got their big moves and we got the money for them. End of story really, why we would want either back is a mystery to me. Neither fit into the way we play now, neither really showed any good instincts at tackling in the way Cantwell, Buendia and Onel do and which is essential to our style.  

Agree with LDC (this  time.)

If we need a.n.other wide man then I have every confidence that the current regime have been working on it ...but time is short.

I was excited to watch him in the Prem with Newcastle - but unfortunately it hasn't really happened for him. 

Both Murphy's seem so confidence driven that they struggle for any sort of consistency. Hernandez is brilliant at always having the confidence to be direct and take his man on - the Murphy's lack that consistency to go past a man.

He would have been a good loan signing for us in my opinion - but no means a definite first choice. I wonder if that played into account with this move.

Edited by HertsCanary93

Murphy is probably on a decent Prem wage now and I doubt Newcastle are loaning him for nothing. We could get 2 or 3 players for Murphy's wages and strengthen the squad far more. Thus far Webber/Farke have done pretty well with their signings and I hope they pull something out the bag before the window closes.