Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Concerned for the Sheff Utd game

I'm really concerned that Sheff Utd's game plan will be to kick us off the park, knowing that Leeds face us next as well. I'm almost expecting injuries here. I hope the ref is strong!

Calm down Mr Starr.  I have no idea where people think Sheff Utd are a bunch of cloggers.   Sure they play a high intensity game like us and Leeds, but apart from the nous of Sharp that comes with age (a la Grant Holt in his prime, lots of nudges and elbows etc.) and the occasional late tackle from Robert Fleck's nephew John (its in the genes) the rest of the team focus on playing the ball forward, on the ground, as quickly as possible.  If we go out and expect them to clog, that would be a big mistake.  We should focus on playing our own game and we will beat them.  Try anything different and lose our focus and we will lose. 

Calm down dear.

I would have thought Sheff Utd would have wanted us to turn over their bitter Yorkshire rivals and fellow promotion contenders so kicking us off the park won't help surely ?

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I would have thought Sheff Utd would have wanted us to turn over their bitter Yorkshire rivals and fellow promotion contenders so kicking us off the park won't help surely ?

Are you getting your Sheffields mixed up Til?

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Are you getting your Sheffields mixed up Til?

Sheff Utd hate Leeds so to crock some of our players prior to 2nd Feb would be somewhat counter productive surely with Utd anxious to claim a promotion spot ?

I don’t think footballers tend to think that far ahead.

I’m sure Farke et al are aware of their capabilities and won’t be underestimating them, they’ve been around the top of the table all season so are far from being just a bunch of cloggers.  My biggest concern, as ever, is at the back as we rarely look solid enough to keep a clean sheet - it would be good timing to go on a bit of a ‘stingy’ run in defence for the next few games.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Sheff Utd hate Leeds so to crock some of our players prior to 2nd Feb would be somewhat counter productive surely with Utd anxious to claim a promotion spot ?

Got you, thought you were on about Wednesday, not Leeds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

I'm really concerned that Sheff Utd's game plan will be to kick us off the park, knowing that Leeds face us next as well. I'm almost expecting injuries here. I hope the ref is strong!

I think you're right to be concerned - it's worked for a few teams already and if the ref is as poor as most we've seen this season then it could easily happen again.

I get the feeling some people see Chris Wilder (big, gruff, northern, 'no nonsense') and basically assume his team must be a bunch of dirty cloggers.

I think sometimes people confuse high intensity closing down and pressing the opposition as clogging as there's the inevitable physical contact.  If we play as well as we did in the first half of the Birmingham game and the first 30 mins of the Derby game, I think we'll be ok.  We need to keep the ball as well as we can and not fall into the trap of too many long balls into Stiepermann and Pukki.  Get Buendia (hope he's fit) and Hernandez running at them, that'll get the crowd going and create chances.

Really looking forward to this game - I hope it's a cracker.

54 minutes ago, king canary said:

I get the feeling some people see Chris Wilder (big, gruff, northern, 'no nonsense') and basically assume his team must be a bunch of dirty cloggers.

It might reassure folk a bit more if his name was Chris Milder

9 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I think sometimes people confuse high intensity closing down and pressing the opposition as clogging as there's the inevitable physical contact.

I like this, purely as it would lead to some people seeing Pep's Barca as being cloggers.

31 minutes ago, king canary said:

I like this, purely as it would lead to some people seeing Pep's Barca as being cloggers.

I should probably explain what I mean a bit better.  I meant that our players are so confident on the ball, that they can keep possession in tight areas or when they are under a lot of pressure, which often results in them being fouled.

15 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t think footballers tend to think that far ahead.

I’m sure Farke et al are aware of their capabilities and won’t be underestimating them, they’ve been around the top of the table all season so are far from being just a bunch of cloggers.  My biggest concern, as ever, is at the back as we rarely look solid enough to keep a clean sheet - it would be good timing to go on a bit of a ‘stingy’ run in defence for the next few games.

Some footballers can`t think 30 seconds ahead!

We did seem to struggle a bit when WBA pressed us high, and we had to go long fairly regularly.

Although that was made worse by Krul having an off-day with his kicking, and not having Stieperman available to compete in the air.

Not confident of a clean sheet, just hope we can score more than them.

I think Birmingham's biggest mistake was not playing football and being too aggressive Vs us. Sheffield can play ball, so I doubt they will resort to bullying tactics

7 hours ago, AJ said:

Sheffield can play ball, so I doubt they will resort to bullying tactics

With names like Basham and Duffy you'd be forgiven for thinking that though. 😉

• Haha 1

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:02, Michael Starr said:

They went after Maddison last year and bullied him out of the game. It was premediated. I remember them getting after him as he walked off at half time and back on for the second half. I expect more of the same , and it will be decisive how the ref handles them. I'm not holding my breath. first 15 mins will be critical.  

Ref is James Linington. Hasn't given a red all season.

On 24/01/2019 at 17:16, shefcanary said:

Calm down Mr Starr.  I have no idea where people think Sheff Utd are a bunch of cloggers.   Sure they play a high intensity game like us and Leeds, but apart from the nous of Sharp that comes with age (a la Grant Holt in his prime, lots of nudges and elbows etc.) and the occasional late tackle from Robert Fleck's nephew John (its in the genes) the rest of the team focus on playing the ball forward, on the ground, as quickly as possible.  If we go out and expect them to clog, that would be a big mistake.  We should focus on playing our own game and we will beat them.  Try anything different and lose our focus and we will lose. 

Calm down dear.

Mmm that proved eerily inaccurate in my opinion! There was all of that but also a couple or three nasty unnecessary ones like Aaron’s ankles/calf getting raked from behind by Stevens.

So the away teams are now papering over as much of the pink as the can 😂😂