Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

What I'd like to change in modern football

This post is slightly inspired by the Leeds spying non-story, but Nuff Said's comment made me think about what I'd change in modern football.

In no particular order (and using some from Nuff's list)...

1. Professional fouls (like the one by Gardiner on Aarons last Friday).  Was given a yellow card, but should have been a red.

2. Surrounding the referee to disagree with a decision.

3. Gesturing to indicate that a card should be given (or the TV shape - VAR comes into the Prem next year).

4. Diving - straight red card for me. 3 match ban. Vardy's v Southampton was a disgrace.

5. No yellow card for over celebrating.

6. Offside - what's this 'phases of play' nonsense?  Whatever happened to interfering with play? Surely any player in the penalty box wherever they are is 'active'?

7. Getting refs to explain a decision after the game.

10. Digital stadium clocks shall be synchronized to the referee's watch - we should't have "how much extra time?" controversies

11. Teams must either play all home and away games in their registered colors (unless there is a color clash, that shall be determined by the match officials), or register alternative colors that shall be used for all away games (unless there is a color clash that shall be determined by the match officials). Third colors may only be used if the match officials determine that both the primary and alternative colors clash. 

12. All local derby games shall be played at the regular scheduled days and times..  

Edited by Surfer

Have a clock as in Basketball which  would stop when the ball is out of play

Supposed to be 45 minutes football each half

Lets have 90 minutes when the ball is in play

Blimey Daley! Quite a few people fail to stay the course when it's 90 minutes including time when the ball's not in play..

Gotta beat the traffic....

2 hours ago, daly said:

Have a clock as in Basketball which  would stop when the ball is out of play

Supposed to be 45 minutes football each half

Lets have 90 minutes when the ball is in play

Isn't the ball in play about 30 minutes each half at the moment? Even with our supposed superior fitness levels we'd be knackered at the end of 90 minutes of genuine action.

Edited by Nuff Said

6 hours ago, Woodman said:

This post is slightly inspired by the Leeds spying non-story, but Nuff Said's comment made me think about what I'd change in modern football.

In no particular order (and using some from Nuff's list)...

1. Professional fouls (like the one by Gardiner on Aarons last Friday).  Was given a yellow card, but should have been a red.

2. Surrounding the referee to disagree with a decision.

3. Gesturing to indicate that a card should be given (or the TV shape - VAR comes into the Prem next year).

4. Diving - straight red card for me. 3 match ban. Vardy's v Southampton was a disgrace.

5. No yellow card for over celebrating.

6. Offside - what's this 'phases of play' nonsense?  Whatever happened to interfering with play? Surely any player in the penalty box wherever they are is 'active'?

7. Getting refs to explain a decision after the game.

The only one I disagree with is the red for diving. I think it would mean more refs bottle a decision. If it’s not a blatant one, why would you risk getting it wrong and ruining the game by sending someone off, when you can just give a goal kick, say you thought there was contact but not enough for a foul, and play on? A yellow doesn’t change the game if it’s wrong or harsh but does still punish the player.

Perhaps though we could instead get rid of this increasing notion that any contact means going down is acceptable. If you “go down easily” it’s a yellow too! Unless you’re attempting to stay on your feet but literally can’t because of the defender then it should be a “dive” in my book.

I'd like all Clubs to be run like other businesses. Where they can only spend based on turnover,  none of this operating at a loss of £100,000,000 nonsense. Look at Bournemouth,  10,000 attendances yet spending 8 mill on Mepham, ultimately it's not sustainable. Our beloved neighbors will never clear what they owe, their fans are praying for another sugar daddy to buy out Evans so they can start again. There are Clubs up and down the Country struggling to survive, while those in the Premiership are chucking money around. I know it's not going to change, football is no longer a sport, hasn't been for 20 years, it's a business and should be run like one. 

37 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I'd like all Clubs to be run like other businesses. Where they can only spend based on turnover,  none of this operating at a loss of £100,000,000 nonsense. Look at Bournemouth,  10,000 attendances yet spending 8 mill on Mepham, ultimately it's not sustainable. Our beloved neighbors will never clear what they owe, their fans are praying for another sugar daddy to buy out Evans so they can start again. There are Clubs up and down the Country struggling to survive, while those in the Premiership are chucking money around. I know it's not going to change, football is no longer a sport, hasn't been for 20 years, it's a business and should be run like one. 

I kind of agree, but I think that argument could be used to justify the most successful “businesses” getting the biggest slice of the tv money pie, which would just cement the wealthiest clubs at the top of the tree (although I’m not sure cementing anything to the top of a tree is sensible). And what would you do about clubs that benefitted from unfair investment in the past before the rule was introduced, Citeh being the obvious example? They got away with it, and are now established but no-one else would be allowed to from now on?

A return to the days when the power was with the Clubs and not the players.

It is funny how people will berate unions for having too much power but say nothing  about an industry where the employers tread in fear.

18 hours ago, Woodman said:

The basic rule needs to be changed, to catch up with the modern game, from two defenders to one outfield defender.

17 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

9. Draught Guinness in all parts of the ground

Rejected- we only have 15 minutes at half time, I don't want to be stuck behind someone ordering four bloody Guinness's 

• Like 2

It's a forlorn hope Mr. Woodman. The FA are gradually   tightening up on those a unsavoury aspects but slowly and remain inconsistent.

So far the most noticeable and totally enforced ruling of recent times has been the one about a player getting booked for removing his shirt. I ask you and with all those other points you mention getting inconsistently dealt with this is rather  trivial, imo. 

I agree with point 6 entirely.The offside rule is a mess now.

Who was it who said,"If he'snot interfering with play, then what'she doing on the pitch?" Was it Bryan Clough.

Thanks all, I'm glad its not just me who thinks football has gone to the dogs...

Broadstairs - I think it was Shankly, rather than Clough.

I've just thought of another one, aligned to the richest clubs.  How can it be right that clubs like Chelsea and Man City can buy up all the 'better' young players and have over 50 players in their squad and 20 odd of them out on loan?  I'm glad Maddison went to Leicester rather than Chelsea, Spurs or Man U, where he wouldn't have got regular games. Barkley at Chelsea has only started 7 games (+12 sub appearances) for them this season by comparison to Maddison's 21 games.

• Like 1

Agents

kick off times

£20 is plenty

Transfer windows

All the money going to the Premiership

Champions League should go back to only the Champions of each country entering

8 hours ago, Woodman said:

Thanks all, I'm glad its not just me who thinks football has gone to the dogs...

No surprise in finding a broad level of agreement among those who take for granted that "Clough" refers to Brian rather than Nigel! In my experience, what previous generations regard as "going to the dogs" is simply the totally unexceptionable norm for the current generation. All of us with children know that well enough surely? :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

In my experience, what previous generations regard as "going to the dogs" is simply the totally unexceptionable norm for the current generation. All of us with children know that well enough surely? :classic_biggrin:

That's why I can walk down Queen St in Auckland and see kids wearing Man U, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Chelsea shirts,  none of them have ever been North of the Equator. My son (born in Essex) doesn't follow football but he wears a West Ham shirt, he doesn't know the history of the Club, who they played last week or next week. It's a brand and the Premiership have done a fantastic job in selling it around the world. What it has done to the rest of English football is a different story. 

7 hours ago, splendidrush said:

What it has done to the rest of English football is a different story. 

That's the point... I can't find myself in football , the same way I used to do...the history of a club doesn't matter anymore (that's even worse for the lot down the road) , nor does the club name for that matter. As long as they have enough money!!! Stinking rich owner buys the club and within a few years the club is competing at the highest level...even if they only draw 8k-10k every match... 

If they ever stop spreading the television money evenly amongst the clubs in the PL , that will be the end of it... we'll have a top tier of 6-8 clubs or a super league spanning the 16 richest clubs in Europe... That would do it for me, I wouldn't watch football anymore I reckon...or at least not the super league

Football won't be labelled as the entertainment industry. 

Football is all about winning and losing, I dont want to be entertained I want to win.

If we win playing entertaining football then great but I dont like 4-5 losses.