12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

A very good striker when played to his strengths, he will undoubtedly improve Reading, of that I have no doubt.

Which is very bad news for our neighbours 😁

• Haha 1

Good riddance as far as I am concerned.

not sure how people are defending his attitude....his  public disrespecting of Farke in his first game was a disgrace. He’s lucky Farke gave him another chance, I wouldn’t have. Even then he didn’t take it and was just petulant in most games last season.

he has the talent and actually hope he shows it at Reading so he helps us get promoted by scoring against our rivals.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Good riddance as far as I am concerned.

not sure how people are defending his attitude....his  public disrespecting of Farke in his first game was a disgrace. He’s lucky Farke gave him another chance, I wouldn’t have. Even then he didn’t take it and was just petulant in most games last season.

he has the talent and actually hope he shows it at Reading so he helps us get promoted by scoring against our rivals.

My thoughts exactly,  it was all about him

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Couldnt agree more, Bethnal. It does make me laugh when I read all this stuff about Nelson, it is so blatantly obvious that a couple of people decide that he’s ‘this and that’, and remarkably people hear it enough and have decided it’s gospel. Personally, I feel there probably has been a disagreement between manager and player regarding tactics, and I can’t say I totally blame Nelson IF that was the case (when Farke was finding his feet, Nelson was largely restricted to pot shots from range etc - which must be frustrating as hell for a man of his undoubted ability). Stuart Webber said there was no issue with Nelson, but instead of accepting a man’s word for once, SW was rubbished as fact, and it was decided it was all just part of making him a more saleable asset. But truth is, none of us really know. A very good striker when played to his strengths, he will undoubtedly improve Reading, of that I have no doubt.

Well, if a striker cant follow the basic tactics of a new manager during a transition season of

- stop being selfish taking long shots 

- put some effort in

Then may I suggest he aint exactly endearing himself to a new coaching set up.

People defending Nelson is fair enough, there are two sides to every story, but it was blatantly obvious he was not fitting in with the way Farke wanted last season when he played.  Watching him and Murphy up front was like watching players who were incapable of doing what was required of them.

I think Murphy tried to fit in and put in a huge effort to, but Oliveira just looked like a duck out of water.  His public dissent at the manager was a sign of his frustration, but he hads been given plenty of opportunities to adapt, or at least find his goal scoring touch....and really didn't do either.

He will score goals in a free system, where he can strut around doing what he wants, but at Norwich, once the new regime arrived, the writing was on the wall. 

If he had a better attitude he might have been a regular Premier striker. However, as others have said, he clearly is disrespectful and rude as his display towards Farke demonstrated. It was disgraceful and very unprofessional. 

That said he is far from rubbish and is therefore an excellent gain from a Reading perspective. He might have learnt a lesson these last few months and will be gunning to prove himself- and it it doesn’t work out- it’s just a loan. 

All in all - a good move for all concerned. Farke was right to alienate his disruptive ego as he built a genuine team - he can now move on and have a fresh start 

On 22/01/2019 at 12:11, Michael Starr said:

Hello Reading if you're reading this, Nelson is an incredible player. I am devastated to lose our main man. Please don't sign him, but if you must then I guess there's not much we can do... what with you being the bigger club and all.

I can't believe you said Reading are a bigger club than us. Have you seen their attendances this season? Anyway I hope he does well for them (and us) 

On 22/01/2019 at 15:51, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

In defence of Nelson. No other club he has been at have ever had trouble with his attitude and Swansea were keen to sign him last summer. He’d been on loan there before and they obviously didn’t think his attitude then has caused any problems. 

It is obvious he’s had a falling out with Farke, but we have only ever had Farke’s and Norwich’s side of the story. I guess when Nelson does go we might get a chance to understand what went wrong from his point of view. 

He is still a popular among Norwich players, he is seen eating out in the City with others fairly regularly so he can’t have been that awful. 

While his silly outburst at Fulham was lamentable that alone shouldn’t have caused such a breakdown between coach and player. 

I totally agree

9 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

I can't believe you said Reading are a bigger club than us. Have you seen their attendances this season? Anyway I hope he does well for them (and us) 

I’ve a feeling it is sarcasm as last season when Reading  wanted to sign him their fans were giving it the big one 

On the positive side. Doesn't it say how much we have improved in the last 12 months that we are so very relaxed about letting go a player we thought was irreplaceable? Nor is anyone sweating about signing new players in this window. Such a long way from a year ago when we feared we were cutting cloth and could not afford champ players....just saying. 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2019 at 15:51, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It is obvious he’s had a falling out with Farke, but we have only ever had Farke’s and Norwich’s side of the story. I guess when Nelson does go we might get a chance to understand what went wrong from his point of view. 

There is an interesting 'alternative timeline' where Farke doesn't get results, gets sacked and a new manager brings Nelson in from the cold where he starts playing well and scoring as happened with Simon Lappin (without the goals part)

History is written by the winners as they say and Farke's decision to move on from Nelson has clearly not had a negative affect on results.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

There is an interesting 'alternative timeline' where Farke doesn't get results, gets sacked and a new manager brings Nelson in from the cold where he starts playing well and scoring as happened with Simon Lappin (without the goals part)

History is written by the winners as they say and Farke's decision to move on from Nelson has clearly not had a negative affect on results.

Yup!

In the (very) fiction world where Roeder does a good job at Norwich, the fans would be really critical of Lappin’s attitude and refusal to go out on loan or move clubs. We’d repeatedly hear how he ‘sucked money’ out of the club etc. 

Rail against an unpopular manager and you are a hero. Rail against a popular manager and you are unprofessional and a mercenary. 

Farke is slightly protected from this as Webber is there and ultimately responsible for players coming in and out. But if Norwich has been bumbling around mid table this season we would hear a lot more about how Nelson should be included and why isn’t Marshall being included more. 

There were plenty of times last season when things were not going well on the pitch. The fans repeatedly called for NO to be brought on as our saviour and he was given many opportunities , especially early on.

Did he really take them. Did he really try and fit in with the DF system, which we can all now see is fruitful?

The answer for one reason or another is virtually no in almost every case and the manager has to deal with that (despite those who saw him play know underneath he is a classy striker).

I for one believe DF has handled this and him very well. He has not publicly scathed him nor has he sent any other staff member out to put across his message ref NO.

If we get some funds back for him then it is another big thumbs up to DF from me. These are exciting times!

5 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Did he really take them. Did he really try and fit in with the DF system, which we can all now see is fruitful?

I'd argue the DF system has evolved and is much more striker friendly than it was for most of last season.

Players have been given greater freedom and get forward is larger numbers to support the loan striker. The commentator v Birmingham kept mentioning how many people we were getting into the box on regular occasions. Last season the fullbacks played much more cautiously, the midfielders didn't break forward as much and players very rarely got beyond Nelson in the way they do for Pukki and Rhodes. I don't think Nelson covered himself in glory last season but there is a reason that Jerome and Nelson combined for less goals last season than Pukki has managed in half a season.

Obviously not just a ‘tactical’ decision. 

You don’t come out at the start of the season and say that ‘Nelson will never play for Norwich again’ if it is just a tactical thing. 

By openly freezing Nelson out Norwich pretty much reduced his value to zero. 

Whether Webber or Farke made that decision is unclear, it could be their is a clause in the deal with Benfica that Norwich will have to make an additional payment if he plays a few more games. I noticed he is only a few of 75 appearances for Norwich, and it wouldn’t be a shock if Norwich were due to pay something should that figure be reached. If that’s the case Webber may have instructed Farke not to play him to avoid any additional cost.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Players have been given greater freedom and get forward is larger numbers to support the loan striker. The commentator v Birmingham kept mentioning how many people we were getting into the box on regular occasions. Last season the fullbacks played much more cautiously, the midfielders didn't break forward as much and players very rarely got beyond Nelson in the way they do for Pukki and Rhodes.

Exactly this. This season we have a far better squad and are set up way better to allow players to get forward, but are still able to defend counter attacks better.  Birmingham are renowned for their counter attacking set up, yet with Trybull, Vrancic and Cantwell, we managed to stop them from playing that way.  Plus Lewis and Aarons quickly recover their defensive positions when an attack breaks down.  Saturday will be interesting as Sheffield like to get the ball forward quickly too.

He's probably too thick skinned to be humbled by his  experiences this season (U23's, no other club apparently  wanting him that much) but I still expect him to pullout all the stops at Reading just to prove himself and feed his ego.

Bad news for the binners and a better striking/goal scoring option than Lambert has just added to his squad and also he is capable of pulling out something against our rivals.

If the game threshold was a factor (quite possibly) and his value was next to zero, then why have we been paying his wages for nearly 5 months? Just offload to anyone, pay him to go (back in August). It could have been a Jack Rodwell type situation at Sunderland, but I seriously doubt it as Nelson isn't on £70K per week. NO may well have remained, and looked,  positive but it's not the same as having a 100% committed player around the Club. 

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd argue the DF system has evolved and is much more striker friendly than it was for most of last season.

Players have been given greater freedom and get forward is larger numbers to support the loan striker. The commentator v Birmingham kept mentioning how many people we were getting into the box on regular occasions. Last season the fullbacks played much more cautiously, the midfielders didn't break forward as much and players very rarely got beyond Nelson in the way they do for Pukki and Rhodes. I don't think Nelson covered himself in glory last season but there is a reason that Jerome and Nelson combined for less goals last season than Pukki has managed in half a season.

Yes, it's evolved - Farke simply didn't have the wing backs or forward players to play how we do now. 

Murphy - not able to adapt 

Oliveira - not able to adapt

Husband - not able to adapt

Pinto - not able to adapt

Most of our good play inevitably went through Maddison, while good in itself, didn't hide the deficiencies in the players we had around him.  Now the system is working and with the right kind of players in the various positions, we are obviously much more of  force going forwards. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If the game threshold was a factor (quite possibly) and his value was next to zero, then why have we been paying his wages for nearly 5 months? Just offload to anyone, pay him to go (back in August). It could have been a Jack Rodwell type situation at Sunderland, but I seriously doubt it as Nelson isn't on £70K per week. NO may well have remained, and looked,  positive but it's not the same as having a 100% committed player around the Club. 

Clubs tried to sign Nelson in the summer, but Norwich or the player rejected them. 

You can’t force clubs to buy your players and when NO is on £30k a week and been very openly banished from the first team - it isn’t a surprise that there aren’t a huge amount of people interested. Reading have come in out of sheer desperation to avoid relegation, that wouldn’t happen last summer. 

I also suspect Nelson might have felt he’d outlast Farke so felt it might be best just to wait it out and see what happened. Now it is clear that Farke isn’t going anywhere soon he is more open to moves. 

6 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Some may say we are a better team without Maddison. Incredible to think that , (but I'd still like him here!)

We needed that £22m+.It's made all the difference for this season and our layout (such as it has been) on players like Leitner.

I'd rather have that money the way things are turning out.

Maddison's last "gift" to NCFC will be via a big sell on clause.

One of our greatest ever players of recent times and destined for great things but we could not afford to retain him.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Obviously not just a ‘tactical’ decision. 

You don’t come out at the start of the season and say that ‘Nelson will never play for Norwich again’ if it is just a tactical thing. 

By openly freezing Nelson out Norwich pretty much reduced his value to zero. 

Whether Webber or Farke made that decision is unclear, it could be their is a clause in the deal with Benfica that Norwich will have to make an additional payment if he plays a few more games. I noticed he is only a few of 75 appearances for Norwich, and it wouldn’t be a shock if Norwich were due to pay something should that figure be reached. If that’s the case Webber may have instructed Farke not to play him to avoid any additional cost.

No, but I do know for a fact that Nelson told the club that from his side, he will never play for Norwich again.

It is a shame the way things have turned out with Nelson. He is undoubtedly a quality operator at this level. It still puzzles me how the relationship with Him and Farke deteriorated so quickly, and got to a point of no return. It might've been interesting had Pukki not been so sensational this season, I'm sure there would've been large contingency craving Nelson's return.  

But in the end both parties now seem happy. Hopefully Nelson fires Reading to Safety.It must be frustrating for Ipswich, as we shed some fringe players that significantly improve their relegation rivals. Perhaps another measure of the current gulf between both teams?

Pinto to Rotherham? Probably not. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, it's evolved - Farke simply didn't have the wing backs or forward players to play how we do now. 

Murphy - not able to adapt 

Oliveira - not able to adapt

Husband - not able to adapt

Pinto - not able to adapt

Most of our good play inevitably went through Maddison, while good in itself, didn't hide the deficiencies in the players we had around him.  Now the system is working and with the right kind of players in the various positions, we are obviously much more of  force going forwards. 

I think there is an element of players being better fits but I also think Farke has changed parts of the system to address its failures last season. For instance last season it was notable that fullbacks were under instruction to get forward less and we weren't creating the kind of overloads down the flanks that we do this season. 

Agreed - the first goal v Birmingham last Friday just wouldn't have happened last season.  Our left back wouldn't have been that far forward and the centre forward (Oliveira) wouldn't have been getting across the defender at the near post to score.