Sign in to follow this  
Scole Canary

Can't handle the pressure!

It seems to me that the pressure that came with being named pre-season favourites has worked in a negative way against the club.  In the past when there has been no pressure or the club has been out of the spotlight they have often surprised, the best example being 1992/93.  When the pressure is turned on such as high profile games we often go into our shell and under perform.  The most recent example being the relegation run in from Man Utd at home when the pressure had evaporated and we were just playing for pride to the Fulham match away when the pressure was right on.  I guess the point I am trying to make is that the team needed a good start to the season to get the ball rolling and confidence up but this hasn''t happened.  The pressure has built up so much the players cannot deal with it and are playing within themselves and underperforming.  They are probaly trying too hard in training, the injuries occuring because of this and the team always being unsettled as a result.  When you are getting results week in week out the players are probaly more relaxed in training and coast through on the confidence of this until they play again.  The injuries disappear and the team is settled.  I think the players need the pressure taken off them and they need to play with a nothing to lose mentality then maybe the results will improve and we will move up the table.  Is Worthington the right man to do this?  I seriously have my doubts.

i think if he publically said that we are in a relegation fight the team might perform better and realise they arent so good. Or the pressure may force them to go bottom