Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

The Blades

Just had a quick look at one of their forums and they seem a bit nervous and some claim we are a bogey team. Lets hope so.

It's worth a look at that classic FA cup moment from the 90s on youtube at Carrow road when they failed to score in a goalmouth scramble that seemed to include hitting both posts and the bar plus numerous goal line clearances.  I was at the game and couldn't believe it at the time, it just gets better with re-watching.  I've never seen anything like it even in those youtube complications of amazing footie stuff.  They lost that game 1-0 from memory.  I guess that goes a way towards making us a "bogey" team for them !

They should be nervous. Our first half against Brum was maybe our best performance of the season with three starters missing as well.

It seems we can bring someone in and not affect our performance too much. Forget the little blip. Everyone has one and ours didn't see us go any lower than third (on goal difference).

Well although we beat them last season at their place, they have beaten us twice since then, albeit narrowly, but I agree we are playing better now and they will have a match on ther hands with us.  I watched most of their match with Swansea and they looked quite poor a lot of the time and if they are not 100% against us, we might do them this time.

Yes LDC, as Wilder has said many times this season they are performing above their capability.  To win any game against a big team the whole of their side needs to be performing 100% - any drop in standard and they perform like at Swansea.  I hope Wilder concentrates on stopping us rather than on their strengths - as Bramall Lane is only a stone throw from my house I've seen them quite a few times this season and its when they try and stop the opposition that ironically they look their most vulnerable.  hopefully we have scared them enough such that next time I meet him in the pub I can wind him up good and proper.

Edited by shefcanary

4 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Thanks Kiwi.  That's the one ! so it was hitting the bar twice and the post.  Never seen anything to match that !

BTW at the time I was living in Norwich with a girlfriend who was from Sheffield and a Sheff Utd fan although she'd come to City games with me most weeks.  For that game she was in with the away fans and we met up afterwards - they were convinced the ball had actually gone in at some point and it is fair to say it was a bit of a frosty evening !!

☂️

I'm confident about this game. They are well drilled, strong and hungry BUT we have comfortably more technical quality. At home we should polish them off but it won't be easy.

Think they might go down the physical route rather than try to match us. Football wise, I think we're better but, just like Blackburn,  kicking our ball players could be the best way for them to get a result. 

Need a sharp and strong Ref. Someone who doesn't let the first booking be in the 80th minute and doesn't turn his back on goalkeepers wasting time. Anyone know who the Ref is yet for Saturday?

Can't stand the sight of Chris Wilder...and that's before anything comes out of his mouth.

Still remember him running across the pitch last season after their win gesturing and pointing to his watch toward the barclay at the end of the game......and then lying about it in the press conference by saying he wasnt gesturing at the home fans but he was "paying tribute to his ill father in law".....now unless his father in law is a Swiss watcher maker, it doesnt explain the pointing to his watch??

20 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Need a sharp and strong Ref. Someone who doesn't let the first booking be in the 80th minute and doesn't turn his back on goalkeepers wasting time. Anyone know who the Ref is yet for Saturday?

Very much this.

They are cynical cloggers and will waste time at every given turn.

5 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Very much this.

They are cynical cloggers and will waste time at every given turn.

To be fair to Sheff Utd I'm not sure that this is the case....we've seen more blatant examples of clogging from Blackburn and Birmingham recently

....they play a decent brand of football and attack in numbers and defend in numbers.

Its just the obnoxious manager I cant abide....an unpleasant man and a heart attack waiting to happen

There are few finer sights in football than Chris Wilder's red blustered face on TV looking every bit the slapped ar$e after a defeat.

What I would give to see that on Saturday

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

To be fair to Sheff Utd I'm not sure that this is the case....we've seen more blatant examples of clogging from Blackburn and Birmingham recently

....they play a decent brand of football and attack in numbers and defend in numbers.

Its just the obnoxious manager I cant abide....an unpleasant man and a heart attack waiting to happen

There are few finer sights in football than Chris Wilder's red blustered face on TV looking every bit the slapped ar$e after a defeat.

What I would give to see that on Saturday

image.png.7d2b2a633a98b2402fc592704e7d9e3c.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Thanks I remember their manager having a strop when we won there in2017, the expression “throwing his toys out of the pram” fits very well. I don’t think our time wasting was bad that day. It’s hilarious they mention us coming out late for the second half as timewasting, I’m pretty sure the 45 minutes doesn’t start till the ref blows the whistle!!

• Haha 1

I hope the dressing room calms Wilder down and they don't come out looking for a scrap. Sharp is a great poacher of goals but when I've watched them they are quite route one, should I say. If we go ahead then that would work best because they would have to play. The longer it's nil nil or they score first and tackles will be flying in. 

Perhaps a red card in this game?

We should have enough skill to see this lot off. 2-0 for me.

My gut feel for the next 3 games is

win vs Sheff Utd,

draw at Leeds

Lost vs scum - because it's sods law that the season when they have probably their worst ever team, and quite possibly their last chance to beat us for the only time before the end of the decade, sees them win at CR.  It's not a genuine premonition though.  Just sods law because we've not lost to them since the start of the decade, and if they get relegated and/or we get promoted, they won't play us again before 2020 at the earliest !  It would be fantastic to go through the whole of the '10s undefeated against them.  Not sure how that would stack up against getting promoted this season ?  But who cares, it'll be what it is !

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Lost vs scum - because it's sods law that the season when they have probably their worst ever team, and quite possibly their last chance to beat us for the only time before the end of the decade, sees them win at CR.  It's not a genuine premonition though.  Just sods law because we've not lost to them since the start of the decade, and if they get relegated and/or we get promoted, they won't play us again before 2020 at the earliest !  It would be fantastic to go through the whole of the '10s undefeated against them.  Not sure how that would stack up against getting promoted this season ?  But who cares, it'll be what it is !

I'd like to go 10 years unbeaten too ICF. I just feel that Farke doesn't get tied up in the emotion of it all. The focus is much more on the job of getting 3 points and on to the next game. Over the border there'll likely be much more in the way of mind games, they have their 'characters ' like Chambers, or Wilnis back in the day. Making headlines, trying to play mind games.  Then there's Lambert himself, who thinks it's all about him. There will be some remark, that the press will jump on, just to stir the pot. The only way 1p5wich get anything out of this is if we're not on our game, this is the worst side that they've put out in living memory. 

15 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I'd like to go 10 years unbeaten too ICF. I just feel that Farke doesn't get tied up in the emotion of it all. The focus is much more on the job of getting 3 points and on to the next game. Over the border there'll likely be much more in the way of mind games, they have their 'characters ' like Chambers, or Wilnis back in the day. Making headlines, trying to play mind games.  Then there's Lambert himself, who thinks it's all about him. There will be some remark, that the press will jump on, just to stir the pot. The only way 1p5wich get anything out of this is if we're not on our game, this is the worst side that they've put out in living memory. 

I think the side they put out at Poorman Road in August was worse. Adding the experience of Collins and Judge plus the muscle of Quaner and Keane will make them a better side once those four players are up to speed.

Still think there's too much complacency on here about the derby, especially with the Lambert factor.

Judge was a fantastic player pre injury, but has had a long road back from his multiple leg break (oddly, the result of a ‘horror tackle’ from Luke Hyam in a game against the Binners at Poorman Rd).  I imagine given a good run he might be able to get back somewhere near that level but hopefully not yet.

I don’t see a huge degree of complacency on our part about the binner game, if anything to me people seem to be suggesting the opposite - that we’re definitely better than them but will almost certainly lose!

15 hours ago, splendidrush said:

From memory, 19/04/09 they won 3-2. Max Aarons was 9... and Vera Lynn was number 1.

LOL.  Yes so not quite 10 years yet, would be great to have it as a 10-year run and even better if we're in separate divisions next year, hopefully with a full division gap between us !  Which will automatically extend the run to the full decade of the 10s because we then wouldn't play them again until some point in 2020 at the earliest.

Incidentally why don't people talk about the 10s as a decade ?  We have the 80s, 90s etc and in history people talk about the Great Depression in the 30s or the Great Gatsby set in the 20s.  At the start of the century we had the noughties.  But I've never heard anyone refer to the 10s ?

On who will win, I think it's pretty clear our team is better than theirs, the league table doesn't lie, certainly not to that extent !  But plenty of fans, (including me very much) are nervous because it has been so long since they won, Lambert will absolutely do everything he can, we were lucky to get a draw at the death last time, it's a derby and anything can happen, you name it... I'd be surprised if Farke is complacent ever.  Really hoping we stuff them, a game when we could do with a player like Bradley Johnson to send a shot in that bursts the net.

They were lucky to be allowed their goal as one of their players wrestled Zimmerman to the floor

And given how much we have improved since then and they have fallen away we should be able to put tis ragbag of lower league hopefuls and aged has beens to the sword

With also the understanding that the binners have been regularly tailing away in the last part of their games where it has often proven to be the best partnfor us.

So expect to see this grubby little club and it's dimwitted farmhands to be packed off back over the border with a harsh reminder of who really is the Pride of Anglia.