Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Protection from the ref

We saw 22 fouls against us yesterday, but five from us. Two possible red cards not given. This is by no means unusual and seems to be becoming a standard approach by opposing teams, up there with pressing us very high.

A few more injuries could derail our season. What can we do to combat this? Is there any point Farke highlighting this to the officials before the game? Do they take any notice?

• Like 1

Most were not trips,handball or grappling either

But blatant kicks with the intention of coursing hurt, and or damage

It needs the crowd to react more vociforously

"bring on the cushions"

It's a mark of how good we are that the opposition get so frustrated. We are snapping at their heels the whole time, quicker around the pitch, technically excellent (most of the time), so alot of the time they can't touch us so they end up fouling out of sheer frustration.  It's not great to see on one level, because we don't want injuries, but on another level it means we are doing something right.  

Could we get more help from the refs?  Without a doubt, but it won't cut out the fouls - lesser opposition get a bit desperate when they play us..... 

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's a mark of how good we are that the opposition get so frustrated. We are snapping at their heels the whole time, quicker around the pitch, technically excellent (most of the time), so alot of the time they can't touch us so they end up fouling out of sheer frustration.  It's not great to see on one level, because we don't want injuries, but on another level it means we are doing something right.  

Could we get more help from the refs?  Without a doubt, but it won't cut out the fouls - lesser opposition get a bit desperate when they play us..... 

True,, true ,true, LDC. That we get fouled so much is an indication of how frustrating we are to play against. This is perhaps the major difference between champs and premier, we are expected to battle in the championship whereas in the premier , we are expected to 'play'.....and I'm convinced that the refs adjust their tolerance for fouls depending on the league they are working in.

The bonus for us is that should we go up, we are already playing a style suited to the premier League, we won't win as many as this season but we won't look like clogggers in a supposedly ' elegant' league. 

May I add that I love the way things are going for us, our approach is fantastic , leaving me proud of what has been achieved at the club since the strategic ' overhaul'. I feel that our fine club is doing it right.

Edited by wcorkcanary

It is getting worse as we're a bit lightweight and doing well by playing decent football. The hatchet men are out for us. If you think that Friday night was bad then last Saturday at the Hawthorne was worse. The ref did sod all about it there, and at Blackburn a few weeks ago. I think we're still seen as little old Norwich who don't protest to much. A strong leader in the pack might help, to get in the refs face a bit more.

• Like 1

We are playing the right way. And it seems at times we have needed some more bite in our play. We seem a soft touch.

Yet, I did notice and posted we played as if we were playing with a point to prove Friday. I meant that we were well up for it first half (and didn't need to be in the second).

I completely agree the fouling is a symptom of playing well, but some posters seem to be saying “oh well, at least it shows how good we are”. That’s not good enough IMHO, we need to do what we can to stop it or we could end up seeing a nasty injury. It nearly happened on Friday. Should the crowd get on the ref’s back the moment he lets something go? Should Farke have a word before each game? Should one player (captain presumably) make a point each time to the ref? Or just leave it and watch it continue?

• Like 1

We can all see it's a backhand compliment to the way we're playing. But that's no solace when our players are on the ground clutching their ankles and having to run the injuries off.      They can't run them off forever. We need to assert ourselves more. At least verbally if not physically. Where's big Dunc and Trevor Hockey when you need em.

I certainly think that we should protest more. Why Brum didn't get a red card on Friday is ridiculous. It is all well saying (and it was) that is how that Ref handles games, but as it plainly is inconsistent with other Refs, then that  needs addressing. 

On a slightly different note, I see that Mike Dean reffed the Lincoln v Grimsby game yesterday (and David Coote did the Luton game, what was that all about?) and my Lincoln supporting mate said Dean totally mis read the game and booked  a load of players for next to nothing. Oh yes, and guess what? He came across as arrogant and aloof...............

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

It is all well saying (and it was) that is how that Ref handles games, but as it plainly is inconsistent with other Refs, then that  needs addressing. 

Not sure I agree about that Crabby. A I commented on Ricardo's match report thread on Friday: 

"Am I the only person who thinks they've notice an increased leniency from referees towards physical challenges? Not just in the Championship, in the EPL as well. I date it to around the start of the holiday fixtures. Players going down after even pretty robust challenges are not getting the free kicks that used to ensue. I've been led to wonder several times whether it's the result of officials being instructed not to fall so readily for players "buying" free kicks."

Hooper now starring in PL, not really don't believe will see him in Champs certainly hope not.

But we need to be more demonstrative although doing so may not have the desired effect we are so nice.  Stiepermann excepted.

Gardiner was on a mission to crock Emi and succeeded seems not too serious as he is some player we are fortunate to have him, not the only candidate for praise all over the park.

The words “ starring “ and “ Hooper “ don’t flow easily, saw the little fat twerp at Bournemouth yesterday, how on earth he has managed that God only knows,

I fear a long-term injury shortly; lads like Aarons get kicked up in the air, get up & carry on, however our good fortune cannot last for ever. Sheffield Utd are likely to be as physically tough as we'll get - and that's our next game.

Wouldn't be a surprise to see them going down to 10 men...

7 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

The hard tackles are just due to frustration from our opposition, if we don't get injured from them, long may it continue ! 

But we are getting injuries!!!!!

I know it has always been this way but I have never understood why the application of the rules has always been seen as optional in football.

For instance if you were the world's best long jumper and I kept overstepping the mark to try and match your distance do you think anybody would be saying 'we'll let it go he's just frustrated that he can't jump as far'.  OK simplistic example but look at rugby - they seem to be extremely effective (and competent) in applying the rules, they don't have all the nonsense of players faking or disputing decisions, why the hell can't football get some of the basics right??

3 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Not sure I agree about that Crabby. A I commented on Ricardo's match report thread on Friday: 

"Am I the only person who thinks they've notice an increased leniency from referees towards physical challenges? Not just in the Championship, in the EPL as well. I date it to around the start of the holiday fixtures. Players going down after even pretty robust challenges are not getting the free kicks that used to ensue. I've been led to wonder several times whether it's the result of officials being instructed not to fall so readily for players "buying" free kicks."

Nothing wrong with buying a free kick, its the diving that needs to be sorted. Protecting players...player welfare...should be top priorety for refs irrespective on any other instructions they may have been given.

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Nothing wrong with buying a free kick, its the diving that needs to be sorted. Protecting players...player welfare...should be top priorety for refs irrespective on any other instructions they may have been given.

Don't disagree with any of that VW. What I think I'm noticing is a deliberate attempt to address "diving", but "diving" interpreted more widely to include crumpling in a heap under the sort of challenge the "victim" could reasonably be expected to withstand.

While I'm on it, one thing that gets my goat is refs blowing up in cases where there is genuine shoulder-to-shoulder contact (as opposed to shoulder-in-the-back etc). 

Warnock's Cardiff were quite clever at it last season.  They gave away a lot of cynical little fouls that stopped us from getting going and made sure that it was different players doing the fouling so that they didn't get carded.

Can't remember who was summarising the West Brom game on Radio Norfolk (or might have been the Blackburn game), but he said that opposition teams are persistently fouling to stop our free flowing passing game, enabling them to reset their formation.

We do need to be more vocal towards the ref (Vrancic and Buendia are pretty good at it) and yes, the crowd has a big part to play in it too.

Another thing that gets me is that refs often seem to have adjusted their approach following the half time break, presumably after being briefed by the 4th official and hearing from team coaches. If they did it from the beginning there'd be no need for them to adjust. (I was watching the Man Utd v Brighton game yesterday and "the old Trafford effect" was blatant in the first half; second half Brighton got fairer treatment and were able to play, but by then the game was lost.)

I think it is quite simple imo, teams cannot get near us when we are on our game, to foul us will potentially disrupt our flow, injure the players and maybe deter us from playing our way. The way we pass and receive the ball in tight situations invites fouls which of course the refs should penalise with cards rather than just blowing his whistle.  We must not forget that most opposition forums accuse us of being divers and moaners after we have beaten them😀. I am not saying they are correct but like most teams nowadays we do fall over easily and there is a lot of gesturing and complaining to the ref despite what previous posters have stated. This is modern football but I take it as an unwanted compliment that teams target us. For instance in the West Brom game Gareth Barry used his experience and bullied our midfield, it was only when his legs went that we took control. The Gardiners tried similar tactics on Friday, we are a team to be feared, our opponents will try anything they can get away with to nullify our style. It is up to the refs to ref the games accordingly.

I think this is another area where we've missed Leitner's influence. If you watch him in games he is constantly in the ref's ear about one thing or another.

It's a tough job though for the refs - take Buendia for example, yes he's likely to be the victim of deliberate clogging to stop him playing, but he's also going to draw more accidental fouls by virtue of the way he plays. He's also not afraid to make a bit of a meal of things when it suits either.

22 hours ago, Van wink said:

As for buying a free kick winky we had the master in Grant Holt.