Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

February Fixtures

Whilst it will be well understood that we need to concentrate on our own results, I've just had a look at the fixtures coming up next month and it could be a good opportunity to create some kind of a gap between second and third as many of the top 6 are playing against each other.

Leeds

Norwich (H)

Boro (A)

Swansea (H)

QPR (A)

Bolton (H)

Norwich:

Leeds (A)

Scum (H)

Preston (A)

Bolton (A)

Bristol (H)

Sheffield United

Bolton (H)

Villa (A)

Boro (H)

Reading (H)

West Brom (A)

West Brom

Boro (H)

Stoke (A)

Forest (H)

Villa (A)

QPR (H)

Sheffield United (H)

Boro

West Brom (A)

Leeds (H)

Sheff U (A)

Blackburn (A)

QPR (H)

Derby

Preston (A)

Hull (H)

Ipswich (A)

Wigan (H)

Millwall (H)

Forest (A)

Us and Derby arguably have the most favourable fixtures, whilst West Brom certainly have the hardest, albeit they have a game in hand. Points will be dropped and a strong run of results will set us up nicely for the run-in.

• Like 1

I think it is more a case of needing to pick up points when 'you should' ie against lower based teams - as we will have to play most at some point

A win and a draw gainst Leeds/Sheff Utd should set us up for three easier games

though Preston's win at QPR would suggest they are no pushover and i suspect that now Bolton appear to be getting on top of their financial difficulties they will be a stronger force than of late

And much depends pon injuries

Hopefully we will have Klose, Leitner and Tettey back - but what would happen were we to lose, say, Pukki, or another regular or two ?

Either way it has been a cracking season so far with a good few twists and turns to come before we can fire up the open top bus 😉

• Like 1

You can’t help but look at all those fixtures, and think to yourself ‘wow, these 5 games could be that defining moment where we go top and stay top’. I’m sorry but we are ‘pound for pound’ way better than Derby and Middlesbrough - neither have a chance of automatic promotion, play offs yes, but autos not in a million years. It’s us, Sheff Utd, West Brom, and the dirty cheating feeder club. But I think we’re going to win it, I really do, I have this unshakable belief that we will. 

I'm starting to believe too. If results are positive over the next few weeks, I might just count me chickens and stick the bubbly in the fridge in a state of readiness. The work ethic, the spirit in the squad, the ability to ride through the recent unavailability of key players, the 'buy-in' from the players into the playing philosophy and the altered attitude of opposition coaches' attempts to stop us all point to (dare I utter it?) automatic promotion. 

Of course the wheels might come off, but at the moment there are so many positives. Flying young full-backs who can also defend, keeper finding his form, ball-playing centre-backs, disciplined holding midfielders, players who can pick a key pass, patient & probing transfer from midfield to the danger areas, threat from attacking set-pieces, committed players, apparent superior fitness levels, late goals, ability to come from behind, effective substitutions, like-for-like changes when enforced, (almost!) no red cards, forwards who can actually rattle the onion-bag, young 'up & comings' breaking through, planned & methodical recruitment, balancing of the books upstairs, morale in the stands...

One slightly worrying recent development seems to be the (unavoidable?) injury attritional rate along with the opposition kicking lumps out of our key players, e.g. Leitner, Buendia, Aarons. If we lose the likes of Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Klose, Zimm, Leitner, Tettey, Buendia, Stiepermann, Pukki etc, (that's pretty much the entire first 11!), we are of course weakened but it's a testament to Webber & co that the squad has genuine depth and ability. Every squad is in the same boat I suppose re: injuries, but the next few games should give a strong indication of how things will look in May. And "for sure" Herr Farke is well aware of that! Bring it on!

• Like 1