nutty nigel

Congratulations Ricky Martin

Just how much credit is due to RM for the fact that we now have Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell regularly starting and the club on an even keel financially with the aid of money secured through the sales of the Murphy twins and Maddison? If it's as much as I suspect it might be, I hope our current talent spotters are equally good. Genuine question; I haven't enough inside knowledge to do anything more than guess.

• Like 1

Ricky delivered us cat one academy and passed further audits to keep it. No mean feat considering what we've found out since. He also had loads of influence on the youngsters who came through the academy. Jacob Murphy confirmed this when he was sold to Newcastle. 

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Ricky delivered us cat one academy and passed further audits to keep it. No mean feat considering what we've found out since. He also had loads of influence on the youngsters who came through the academy. Jacob Murphy confirmed this when he was sold to Newcastle. 

What I was mainly wondering about was who was doing the talent spotting that brought the youngsters in. Not so much the Murphy twins and Cantwell who are local lads, but Lewis and Aarons (from the Luton academy), Godfrey (York) and Maddison (Coventry).  

25 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

What I was mainly wondering about was who was doing the talent spotting that brought the youngsters in. Not so much the Murphy twins and Cantwell who are local lads, but Lewis and Aarons (from the Luton academy), Godfrey (York) and Maddison (Coventry).  

I guess Gregg Broughton who was the Luton academy manager before moving to Norwich brought in Aarons. Although he was still at Luton when Lewis joined. 

Like with senior recruitment you generally can’t single out one person and say ‘that transfer was due to that person’. It will involved anaylsts, technical scouts, youth scouts and then a head of recruitment to weigh up the options. 

Someone who I know who worked for a Championship in recruitment told me that he genuinely didn’t know who ‘spotted’ certain players they signed, as it is such a team effort. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

Thanks Bethnal. According to an EDP article (2018) about Greg Broughton, he actually joined City a year or so before Lewis was brought in. What I'm interested in is why, given the now obvious success of the talent spotting that was going on from 2016 onwards, SW thought it necessary to institute wholesale changes in the autumn of 2017 (which was when Broughton and others left the club). 

I guess it was the change in direction Westy. When we had McNally's committee model it the various different departments had the aim to be "best in class". This new era seems to be that all the departments have to be part of one ethos driven by the club. So just like the players have to fit the ethos so do the coaches.

On 20/01/2019 at 17:08, westcoastcanary said:

Thanks Bethnal. According to an EDP article (2018) about Greg Broughton, he actually joined City a year or so before Lewis was brought in. What I'm interested in is why, given the now obvious success of the talent spotting that was going on from 2016 onwards, SW thought it necessary to institute wholesale changes in the autumn of 2017 (which was when Broughton and others left the club). 

I didn’t realise Broughton was there so early. 

Webber, like most Sporting Directors, will want to bring in their own people, people they have worked with before and trust. 

There was also wholesale change as part of the cost cutting and joing the academy to the first team. The club were good at spotting talent, but they were not good at knowing what to do with the players once they arrived. Also, Broughton having worked with good players at Luton probably wasn’t a sustainable model for youth recruitment . 

I also suspect that many of the people who did the analysis of the players might still be at the club. 

On 20/01/2019 at 16:18, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I guess Gregg Broughton who was the Luton academy manager before moving to Norwich brought in Aarons. Although he was still at Luton when Lewis joined. 

Like with senior recruitment you generally can’t single out one person and say ‘that transfer was due to that person’. It will involved anaylsts, technical scouts, youth scouts and then a head of recruitment to weigh up the options. 

Someone who I know who worked for a Championship in recruitment told me that he genuinely didn’t know who ‘spotted’ certain players they signed, as it is such a team effort. 

there is also the case of how players develop/progress which is much, but not all, to do with the level and type of coaching.

why did some players of the FA youth Cup winning side 'fall by the way side ?

why have players like Fonkeu and Abrahams not 'made it' ?

how many other promising youngsters have left the club to eventually sink much lower

it is a game of percentages, but I do think we have been moving those numbers in our favour quite considerably over the past decade - as you only have to look at keepers when we had 3 local lads (ex City) all playing in the Championship with another as back up to Krul and McGovern

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

you only have to look at keepers when we had 3 local lads (ex City) all playing in the Championship with another as back up to Krul and McGovern

Not forgetting Joe Lewis who has just signed a new five-year deal at Aberdeen...

2 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Not forgetting Joe Lewis who has just signed a new five-year deal at Aberdeen...

even Green is still keeping somewhere

albeit keeping a bench warm 😏