Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Birmingham*****

Marco back was big, but in general we outclassed the Brum butchers...how they didn't get a red card is beyond me! 

Dom E Nant. Loved the way we killed that 2nd half. From a neutral point of view it was **** but a thoroughly professional performanve. OTBC

5 minutes ago, Darth Canary1 said:

I'm surprised as well that they got through the game with all men on pitch 

I'm surprised Monk employed those tactics. I thought he was better than that.

But then, when he has been Manager of Leeds & Boro he probably isn't

First half was excellent, top class passing, movement and skill. Second half we dropped down a couple of gears leading to some sloppiness and a lack of making space, hence a lot of passing between the back 4. But we done more than enough to get the 3 points. Trybull, Buendia and Onel brilliant first half. 

Good result to take us into two important games. If things go wrong we could be 6 points behind automatic. Game time.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to watch the whole game here in the Caribbean. That was a great city performance that had not only the locals crowing but the tv commentary team too. Well done city.

Good to read people's comments, FWIW, I think Brum are under a transfer embargo, to be where they are in the League shows what a good job Monk has done. Sounds like the game was always going to pan out like this, as long as we kept their strikers quiet. Nice to hear people praising Trybull, he was a concern for a few on here yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

If things go wrong we could be 6 points behind automatic. Game time.

...spoken like a true Scotsman. 😉

39 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Point 3 ... Proved😉

Not yet sonyc. We need leads kept more as a matter of course rather than with all of us biting our fingernails as at present. Did well today but bet it hasn’t altered the view that you always have a chance against us.

23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Loved the way we killed that 2nd half.

I didn't.  I thought we were playing with fire at the back. On two or three occasions we very nearly let them in because of mistakes fannying it around at the back.  It may have been necessary to do that and try and kill the game because of recent results and giving too many goals away, but I didn't find it particularly enjoyable.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I didn't.  I thought we were playing with fire at the back. On two or three occasions we very nearly let them in because of mistakes fannying it around at the back.  It may have been necessary to do that and try and kill the game because of recent results and giving too many goals away, but I didn't find it particularly enjoyable.

If by fannying around you mean keeping the ball for pretty much the entire second half and not giving away one single clear chance to two decent strikers....

• Like 2

How on earth have the officials missed the stamping on Vrancic. Another awful decision not given in our favour, or are the championship officials just not good enough?

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If by fannying around you mean keeping the ball for pretty much the entire second half and not giving away one single clear chance to two decent strikers....

If you are going to play it around negatively at the back, all it does is give the opposition a sniff that they can get something from you, because it only takes one error to let them in - and that error was made and on another day we might be punished for it.

I'm not saying we should go gung ho in a match we are 3-1 up in, but there is aways a danger playing too much across the back four in that way.

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Agree with this. LDC, you sound like the moaning gits behind me who were berating us for controlling the game, snuffing out the opposition and making sure we kept the points. Unlike the Derby match. Yes, there was the odd moment but the reality is Brum had to be satisfied with speculative efforts.

Just now, Drazen Muzinic said:

Agree with this. LDC, you sound like the moaning gits behind me who were berating us for controlling the game, snuffing out the opposition and making sure we kept the points. Unlike the Derby match. Yes, there was the odd moment but the reality is Brum had to be satisfied with speculative efforts.

Well from my armchair, it looked a bit scary at times.  Fine in retrospect - we won the game - but it is a dangerous game to play if you do it too much.

Thought the officials were dreadful. The amount of times Buendia got hacked down before he got taken off injured was a disgrace. The ref didn't book a single one of those challenges.

And how the linesman missed the stamp on Vrancic when it was right under his nose I'll never know.

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well from my armchair, it looked a bit scary at times.  Fine in retrospect - we won the game - but it is a dangerous game to play if you do it too much.

It's no more dangerous than punting it long at the first sign of pressure and letting them have the ball back.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's no more dangerous than punting it long at the first sign of pressure and letting them have the ball back.

Yep - again the bloke behind was advocating this. Never seen him before - I got the impression he wanted his money's worth and 3 goals and a dominant performance weren't enough.

Finally some game management by Farke after we lead 2 goals....

Seems we try to kill game after 2 up and not make end to end match and next roller coaster .

Buendia involved on all  3 goals and badly missed after inj.

We lost a bit confidence after Emi gone and think if we have better opposition and more confident team than Birmingham can be problems once more.

Amazing again  with Jamal and Max run and run all the time...

Too many key players is out next few weeks as Moritza,Tettey,Buendia and Tim is all very important .

We are on the mix with 4 pts next 2 games and all this players back in 3 weeks we are with very big chance for top 2!

btw always interesting to check opposition view and for who have time to read the topic will be plesure to see so many compliments to our play,fully deserved...

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,2619582,page=11

Edited by Boris
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with LDC that we are a long way yet from being able to manage games with the confidence and surety required. Second half today was an exercise in doing it, against opponents without the guile to take advantage of the misplaced passes and other possession conceding moments we offered them. I've no complaint at all with the tactic, just pointing out that, as yet, we are far from secure in our practice of it. 

8 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Thought the officials were dreadful. The amount of times Buendia got hacked down before he got taken off injured was a disgrace. The ref didn't book a single one of those challenges.

And how the linesman missed the stamp on Vrancic when it was right under his nose I'll never know.

22 Brum fouls according to the Beeb - 1 every 4 minutes! This is a real sign how some of the cloggers in this division can't handle us at times. Forest were just as bad and the ref was even worse that day. Danny Fox was one of the most basic footballers I have ever seen - how he got away with his antics was amazing. Got a red last weekend for similar argy bargy.

There was a couple of shaky moments admittedly while we were containing the game in the second hald but on the whole, we saw that game out pretty well. It would have been very harsh if they'd been allowed back into the game.

Buendia is just a dead leg apparently so should be fine for next game. So long as our players don't get injured, i'm happy for teams to try kick lumps out of them. It means we are outplaying them.

Birmingham have one of the most effective attacking duos in the league and a very creative attacking mid. We coped well all in all bar that one moment of class by them. Glad to see Vrancic with another great strike.

A few big games now, presumably Farke will call them "not that important" or something as well to calm the nerves. If we can beat Sheff UTD that game vs Leeds can be a nice day for both of us, potentially sat 6 points clear of the rest.

Average cost of a goal for season ticket holders this season:

Real Madrid - £50
PSG - £37.03
Liverpool - £27.85
Man Utd - £22.05
Barcelona - £13.33
Norwich - £9.60

(Yes, Im getting these from Twitter)

• Like 1

Lets face it, these are all the equivalent of first world problems. We are second and at times play like we are a top, top team. Take a step back and remember 12 months ago. 

I’d like to see Hanley back in defence, just to see if a bit of British experience makes a difference. Having said that, I thought Zimmerman absolutely deserved the captain’s armband tonight. One day he’s going to collect the ball close to our penalty area and keep on running until he’s in the opposition’s goal.