big baz

Team for Birmingham

So with no Klose and no Tettey what would everyone do Friday?

i think I would be tempted to go with 

Krul 

Aaron’s Zimmermann Hanley Lewis

Godfrey Vrancic 

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez 

Pukki 

If Stiepermann isn’t fit to start I’d maybe drop Pukki back in the hole and play Rhodes. 

Can't argue with that but McClean and now Thompson might get a look in.

Zimmerman is always available. I will never call him Zimmerframe ever again.

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Can't argue with that but McClean and now Thompson might get a look in.

Zimmerman is always available. I will never call him Zimmerframe ever again.

Forgot about mcclean maybe him for Stiepermann if he’s not fit. Good point 👍

*Trybull "Fanboi" Claxon*

This is tailor-made for my mate Tom to step into the breach with a MOM performance.

That said, as much as I like Tom, he was pretty ropey against Birmingham on the opening day of the season.

I have faith though.

I would go slightly different.

Krul 

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Lewis

Thompson Vrancic 

Buendia Stiepermann Cantwell 

Pukki

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Orly said:

*Trybull "Fanboi" Claxon*

This is tailor-made for my mate Tom to step into the breach with a MOM performance.

That said, as much as I like Tom, he was pretty ropey against Birmingham on the opening day of the season.

I have faith though.

Trybull hasn't been great for a while but he seems the obvious choice to step in- Thompson would be a big gamble fitness wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I would go slightly different.

Krul 

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Lewis

Thompson Vrancic 

Pukki

I'd go with this, although with Trybull for Thompson if he's deemed not fit enough to start.

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd go with this, although with Trybull for Thompson if he's deemed not fit enough to start.

mainly agreed but i think McClean is needing to stsrt now... for me... instead of Vrancic.... need to know what he can do now hes fit... I like his deadballs... they add a lot... and i like the way he will carry the ball and pull defenders

Just now, Worcester Yellow said:

mainly agreed but i think McClean is needing to stsrt now... for me... instead of Vrancic.... need to know what he can do now hes fit... I like his deadballs... they add a lot... and i like the way he will carry the ball and pull defenders

I don't think McLean is cut out for a deep-lying role. A mate of mine who knows his Scottish football says that he loves to bomb forward like a number 8 or even play in the 10 role (a la Stiepermann), but definitely isn't a natural 'sitter'. If he could adapt to play in the holding role that would certainly benefit us.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Trybull hasn't been great for a while but he seems the obvious choice to step in- Thompson would be a big gamble fitness wise.

Agree Trybull is the obvious choice. Having such a settled midfield of Tettey and either Leitner or Vrancic has limited his opportunities to mainly late substitute appearances so far this season; he's only made 5 league starts, the majority very early on. Hard to shine in those circumstances. 

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

How about a change of tactics ?  maybe 4-1-3-2   You can guess the two I'd like up front 😉

Not sure if this is the game for it, Brum are all about ariel duals, lump it in and hope for the second ball. Their pass rate is the worst in the Division and when you factor in that includes 1p5wich it's got to be pretty poor. So we'll dominate possession, out manoeuver them, it's just whether we can take our chances and deal with the bombardment that will come at some stage. Two holding midfielders for me. 

Krul

Zimmerman   Hanley   Godfrey

Aarons                                                                  Lewis

Trybull            McClean

Buendia                                                                 Hernandez

Pukki

• Like 1

I'm hoping for big things from McClean this season based upon all I've heard and read.

We have managed to do very well without him but now he's up and running and needed it's time he showed his worth.

It's nice to know Cantwell is available too, but the youngster has had a lot of playing time of late so I would bench him for this one. Vrancic always seems to pull that little bit more out when coming on from the bench.

Farke uses his  subs well usually so these two are likely to be on at some point.

Thompson looks a natural

Rhodes is veritable supersub.

10 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Agree Trybull is the obvious choice. Having such a settled midfield of Tettey and either Leitner or Vrancic has limited his opportunities to mainly late substitute appearances so far this season; he's only made 5 league starts, the majority very early on. Hard to shine in those circumstances. 

He also wasn't that great second half of last season.

I worry about him as the '1' in between defence and midfield as he isn't the most mobile and can't cover the ground in the same way Tettey can.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

He also wasn't that great second half of last season.

I worry about him as the '1' in between defence and midfield as he isn't the most mobile and can't cover the ground in the same way Tettey can.

I'm still hopeful Louis can shake off his injury problems & get up to speed ASAP. He's the only player I think we've got with Tettey's sheer presence & physicality, & he's younger, quicker & with more all-round footballing ability (& given how highly I rate Alex that's saying a lot). Just need him to stay fit.

• Like 1

If there ever is a time to go for a back three, it is against Birmingham - although I don’t expect Farke to go that route. 

Team will be largely unchanged, Trybull in for Tettey and Stipermann back in the ‘10’ role, of fit. If he isn’t probably a coin toss between keeping Cantwell there or McLean coming in. It generally takes a few below par performances before Farke makes an unforced change to the team so Cantwell is probably slightly ahead of McLean at the moment. 

11 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Not sure if this is the game for it, Brum are all about ariel duals, lump it in and hope for the second ball. Their pass rate is the worst in the Division and when you factor in that includes 1p5wich it's got to be pretty poor. So we'll dominate possession, out manoeuver them, it's just whether we can take our chances and deal with the bombardment that will come at some stage. Two holding midfielders for me. 

Blimey, is that true? I thought Garry Monk would prefer a bit more in the way of possession given his Swansea roots. They were pretty direct on the first day of the season, but I didn't realise they were that hoofy!

20 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Blimey, is that true? I thought Garry Monk would prefer a bit more in the way of possession given his Swansea roots. They were pretty direct on the first day of the season, but I didn't realise they were that hoofy!

Monk is a great pragmatists and when looking at his squad realises his strengths were in Che Adams and Jutkiewicz.

Monk’s flexibility is admirable and they will test Norwich who don’t always do well against big physical strikers. Birmingham also look to press high which Norwich can struggle against. Will be a nice contrast of styles and Norwich will have a lot of the ball which suits them well. Looking forward to it, but certainly won’t be easy. 

• Like 1

Unlikely Farke will start with 3 centre-backs, but could easily finish the game in that formation. Pukki has covered some amount of minutes over the season so far, so I wonder might Rhodes get the nod to start this one, just to give Teemu a bit of a breather? We don't need him joining the crowded treatment room. Also unlikely I suppose. With Thompson still getting up to speed, I think we might see Trybull, McClean & Stiepermann in from the start. Marco has been missed and will probably get 75mins. What about:

Krul

Aarons     Zimmermann      Godfrey    Lewis

Trybull     Vrancic

Cantwell     Stiepermann     McClean  

Rhodes

Pukki, Hernandez & Thompson off the bench to secure the late winner for a dogged 1-0 win. Birmingham is quite likely a game tailor-made for Hanley too, but he has to wait his turn after his red. He'll start plenty of games over the next few months. Probably more likely Cantwell & Rhodes will start on the bench, but I'm getting concerned about the injury list. Just waiting for Pukki to hobble off for 2-3 months.

Don’t get me wrong Cantwell has at times done ok this season but it’s totally beyond me how anybody would leave Hernandez on the bench to start him. In my opinion Hernandez and Stiepermann have been our biggest threats going forward this season. I think Hernandez and Buendia wise give us good balance also. I’m not saying Cantwell is a poor player but he’s not quite ready yet. 

18 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't think he'll play him. Likely to be Trybull and Vrancic in those roles.

Edited by BobLoz3

1 hour ago, big baz said:

Don’t get me wrong Cantwell has at times done ok this season but it’s totally beyond me how anybody would leave Hernandez on the bench to start him. In my opinion Hernandez and Stiepermann have been our biggest threats going forward this season. I think Hernandez and Buendia wise give us good balance also. I’m not saying Cantwell is a poor player but he’s not quite ready yet. 

Cantwell is much, MUCH better at tracking back and providing cover for defence than Hernandez. I'd say that's one of the main reasons he's been getting the nod.

Hernandez I like, but also find him very frustrating. The performance he had in the Brum game at the start of the season is still his best performance, so far, this season.

• Like 1

Totally agree Bob. Think it's fair to say that Cantwell has dropped from his high standards from a few weeks back but he brings a lot to the team in terms of his unselfish off the ball running which creates space in the final third and also his tracking back as you say. I think he'll start this evening.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Lewis

Trybull Vrancic

💩🔑

We never win without Bryceland.

• Haha 1

I would agree with the back 3 comments but I  think the manager has confidence in his team to continue to deliver his tactics and will stick with 4231.   My preference is

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Hanley Lewis

Godfrey Vrancic

Buendia  Steipermann Hernandez

Pukki

S. McGovern, Rhodes, McLean, Cantwell, Trybull, Srbeny, Passlack?

As I think Hanley will cope with aerial threat better.   However I dont think Farke will want to change the back 4 & I think he sees godfrey as a CB,  in which case Hanley will drop to  the bench with trybull slotting into midfield.

31 minutes ago, ZLF said:

I would agree with the back 3 comments but I  think the manager has confidence in his team to continue to deliver his tactics and will stick with 4231.   My preference is

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Hanley Lewis

Godfrey Vrancic

Buendia  Steipermann Hernandez

Pukki

S. McGovern, Rhodes, McLean, Cantwell, Trybull, Srbeny, Passlack?

As I think Hanley will cope with aerial threat better.   However I dont think Farke will want to change the back 4 & I think he sees godfrey as a CB,  in which case Hanley will drop to  the bench with trybull slotting into midfield.

I agree ZLF, other than I don't think he'll start all 3 of our only recognised CBs in case one of them get injured.

So I suspect he will go with Zimmermann and Godfrey & Trybull and Vrancic in the Tettey and Leitner roles. So...

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Lewis

Trybull Vrancic

Hernandez Stiepermann Buendia

Pukki

Potentially Cantwell for Hernandez or MacLean for Stiepermann, but I think both give better options from the bench.

Would love to see a back 3 this time as the extra man would help us to cope with the long-ball that Birmingham are likely to try and would also give Max & Jamal a bit more protection allowing them to take a little more risk in getting forward and overlap more where they'll be able to outplay Brum on the ground.  Cantwell is clearly a special talent who's maturing into a very talented player but the last 3 or 4 games he's not been at the levels he was in November/December, I dont think you can objectively look at the options we have available and say he should be starting on current form; Huge potential to change the game off the bench though and 75 minutes on the sidelines might just fire up his hunger even more. Hernandez for me needs to get the nod with Buendia and Stiepermann if he's available, either McClean or Pukki dropping back behind Rhodes if not; Tough call in the defensive midfield space but I'd go with Trybull just I think - Thompson needs a half hour off the bench to get back up to speed and then he's going to be huge for us I suspect in the run-in this season; Vrancic has done a lot well recently but without Tettey alongside him, he isn't the player we need for this particular task. 

Krul
              Zimmerman   Hanley     Godfrey
Aarons                                                            Lewis
                                       Trybull
Buendia         Stiepermann/MacLean/Pukki      Hernandez
                                  Pukki/Rhodes

Bench : McGovern; Passlack; Cantwell; Vrancic; Thompson; MacLean; Rhodes (Srbeny if Stiepermann is out and MacLean or Rhodes start)