Sign in to follow this  
View From The Moon

Delia sat in the Norwich section

Hi,

Just got back from the game and thought I''d comment on the fact that Delia was in the Norwich section today sat almost behind me.  Numerous fans went up to her to talk about Worthy''s position and having personally witnessed and put up with another load of rubbish to go with Luton, QPR, Wolves, Coventry etc the list goes on, her argument seemed to be "look at the scum, do they wish they still had Burley?, look at Coventry do they wish they still had Strachan?"

Whilst she did have a fair point I could never see Worthy after this job going on to manage Celtic or Hearts or any other team that is presently of a higher league position than us.

Enough is enough and changes have to be made, this is not good enough, I can accept us not having the best team but lack of work ethic and general basic skills is almost embarassing as was mentioned to me many times after the game by passing Derby fans.  Instead of bowling, MAYBE WORTHY COULD TEACH THE TEAM HOW TO PASS TO SOMEONE WEARING THE SAME COLOURED SHIRT.  It would be a start.

So much for back to basics.

[quote user="Trent Uni Canary"]

Her argument seemed to be "look at the scum, do they wish they still had Burley?, look at Coventry do they wish they still had Strachan?"

[/quote]

As you said Trent, a fair point, but only on the surface. I find that this is a very simplistic argument put forward by Delia which is hopefully not indicative of the quality of decision making within the Club.

Sure, Worthy has proved that he has the potential to become a good Manager, I don''t dispute that and there''s every chance that if he went somewhere else he would do a good job and be very successful.

However, under the current circumstances, that is not a good enough reason for him staying as there''s absolutely no guarantee that he, or the Club, will ever reach full potential by simply retaining the status quo. 

There comes a time in everyone''s working life when it''s time to move on. Circumstances change, previously harmonious relationships become stale and familiarity breeds contempt.

New environments in which to work are needed, new and fresh challenges are required and you need to see some new faces and work with different people in order to flourish.

Staying too long, when deep down everyone knows it''s the wrong decision, in the hope that things might change for the better, simply gets everyone into a rut that becomes more difficult to get out of the longer you leave it.

In the two examples used by Delia, would Burley and Strachan both have been as successful if they''d stayed at their respective Clubs ? -

I doubt it.

Was it not the change of Club that gave them the opportunity to get out of the ruts they were in and expand their horizons, develop their skills and improve their reputations ? 

Hi Trent Uni, I guess you didn''t have far to travel and this was therefore a great game for you to go to, in theory anyway.  I applaud you for going and also agree with every word of your final paragraph.  It''s a shame that no one in power at the club understands any of those words about passing. 

For me, Worthy has been under-achieving for a long time, he didn''t get to grips with the Prem, and constantly hid under the convenient ''little club'' banner, unlike Wigan who proved it was not the case.  Now we sulk in a league which I guess the players think beneath them to play in.  We are constantly told by at least one of them a week what a great place this is, what quality players they work with, that the present bad form will soon be turned around.  Do they think we are all stupid? 

The time when Norwich used to go out looking to win a game, played creative and attacking football, whilst still being in control in defence when necessary are fast disappearing into the realms of nostalgia.

Things have to be sorted out fast.  All day training and training using a football would be a start, but in all honesty the work that needs to be done is all in the boardroom.  It is obvious to all now that Nigel hasn''t a clue what to do about the current team and the situation (yes!) we are in.  So time for the suited ones to steer him out of the picture before we do a Forest. 

It''s good that she''s still sitting with the fans and able to hear the Worthy Out chants and how fed up we all are. But the comments about Burley and Strachan are less encouraging and don''t fill me with much hope of anything changing anytime soon. It makes you wonder just how much worse thing have to get for the board to take action. The sad thing is that a once harmonious relationship between fans and boardroom is becoming increasingly strained due to the boards stubborn attitude and unexeptance that there is even a problem.

Thanks for that Trent.  I was hoping someone would have sat near her and could relay her comments.  The words "clutching" and "straws" spring to mind to me.  How on earth does she know that the scum would be in any better position with Burley still in charge?  Last time I checked she couldn''t predict the future.  She''s running out of excuses now

Oh dear Gazza, how dare you mention the ''little club'' argument that was the bedrock of last season. You''re absolutely right of course but my question to Smith at the Diss meeting saying exactly what you have said was dismissed by her when she told me very bluntly : ''thank you for your question but you are completely wrong''!

Unfortunately Mrs Smith has no knowledge of football and lets emotion get in the way of objective decision making. Her example of Ipswich and Burley is so flawed it''s untrue. Fact is that they sacked Burley in October 2002 after a disastrous start to that season, they had just lost 3-0 at Grimsby. Burley spent millions on wages and transfer fees something Joe Royle has never had. But under Royle, ITFC had a storming second half to that season narrowly missing playoffs and then achieved play offs in BOTH the following seasons despite having to sell a conveyor belt of players  to meet the debts. It''s only this season that the binners have slipped away due (once again) to HAVING to sell key players. Incidentally despite all that, they remain above us in the table. So Delia, where is your EVIDENCE that they would have been better off keeping with Burley?

What about Watford? The manager change from Lewington to Boothroyd has been a great success, look at the league table. Smith doesn''t mention that though does she?

Sorry - I know she has put a LOT of money into the club and almost certainly we would not have had Premiership football last season without her but her judgement has always been fundamentally flawed (remember Hamilton) and she remains part of the problem we have. Only IF she and the other sheep on the Board start pulling their collective heads out of the sand will it be possible to move forward.

Didn''t see her at the game but its a shame she didn''t intervene when that bloke got chucked out by half the Derby constabulary and about 4 stewards in the first half.

Does anyone know what that was about and why there was the need for such a heavy handed ejection ?