Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Olive branch

I'm surprised there has been so little news around Olive branch.

I assume we're looking to offload him, and assume we'd take reasonable offers to get him off our books, as it looks massively unlikely he'll figure at all. So why keep him, and pay him for doing nothing (other than keep fit in U23's)?

Anyone know how long his contract runs for?

18 months left, and if we estimate £20k a week, that's £1.5m left to pay him. We've got to hang onto him until he finds a suitor, basically - no point paying his contract off if someone else will buy it out. And if he's happy to sit and fester here for 18 months rather than play football somewhere else, then quite frankly he's an absolute moron.

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

18 months left, and if we estimate £20k a week, that's £1.5m left to pay him. We've got to hang onto him until he finds a suitor, basically - no point paying his contract off if someone else will buy it out. And if he's happy to sit and fester here for 18 months rather than play football somewhere else, then quite frankly he's an absolute moron.

He’s on £30k a week. 

Suspect he’ll be around until next summer. That window is easier to shift players like Nelson. 

32 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I'd still rate oliveira above Srbeny..unlikely I know but maybe it he is here in Feb he will be integrated back...but very unlikely I know. 

I'd imagine if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. Sure, Srbeny is no Ibrahimovic but he's strong and pretty good in the air, which is what he's mostly used for. For a relatively big fella, Nelson was pony in the air. He won't play for us again.

It’s a shame really, such a waste of talent for something that seems so easily retrievable from the outside. Can’t he just stop being a bell end? Wouldn’t he rather be earning his wages AND playing regularly?

Obviously we don’t know the ins and outs of it nor how deeply things have fragmented but it’s just frustrating to see happen. 

Attitudes can change in any line of work, and most employees would be expected to adjust to a new culture change etc. Why can’t a footballer? What has Farke set out for him that is so difficult for him to follow?

- appreciation of place in a wider, bigger project, contributing for the team not for yourself 

- work hard

- don’t be a ****

It’s not that hard to do is it? 

That said, we don’t at all miss him with Pukki, Rhodes and Srbeny all contributing at the minute. Just a shame how things panned out for him as it all seems so unnecessary.

Hopefully not playing results in him getting a naff club in the summer. Hasnt earnt another good move.

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hopefully not playing results in him getting a naff club in the summer. Hasnt earnt another good move.

But will a naff club pay him £30K/week?  We could well end up subsidising the year left on his contract if he goes somewhere small.

Dennis Sbreny doesn't deserve to be relegated to 4th striker.

He might not have the natural goalscorers skill or whatever compared with Oliveira but in every other was I can see why Farke prefers the hard working Dennis.

I thought NO was on his way to Turkey in any case.

If we get promoted neither are suitable but Sbreny will be far easier to re-locate than effin Oliveira who seems stuck to our club, with his hefty wages, like glue.

Naismith,  Jarvis, now this nut-case. When will it end?

54 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Naismith,  Jarvis, now this nut-case. When will it end?

Well the whole cycle will start again if we get promoted... plus we've still got Wildschut and Franke on the books.

Every football club will have transfer disasters, but the magnitude of those disasters are likely to be much less under the stewardship of Webber and Farke.

44 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Well the whole cycle will start again if we get promoted... plus we've still got Wildschut and Franke on the books.

Every football club will have transfer disasters, but the magnitude of those disasters are likely to be much less under the stewardship of Webber and Farke.

I think that Franke will remain in Germany now and I'll guess he was not nearly as expensive.

Windshutt always seems in demand so we probably won't see him again. There were differing  opinions as to how much he cost, but he's not on PL wages in any case.

Some you win some you lose.

Winners: Pukki, Leitner, Stiepperman and all the other German League players have been good value one way or the other. McClean is likely to prove his worth.

Nothing approaches the waste on the three main culprits and we mourned the loss on RVW but at least it was from PL money.

Oliveira has been touted with Reading again... can't we just loan him out. Get him out of the door, playing some games, he,like Marshall, may help condemn the 'Tahn' and save us some wages.

On 16/01/2019 at 19:37, glory.win or die. said:

I'd still rate oliveira above Srbeny..unlikely I know but maybe it he is here in Feb he will be integrated back...but very unlikely I know. 

No way. He just has to go.

Agree entirely with splendid. If he gets some goals for Reading against our rivals and helps send the other club down, that’s a win win as it puts him firmly in the shop window as well. 

Personally, I’d be happy if we still paid his full wages as we’re paying them at the moment and its achieving nothing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Don't get the hate for Wildschut, always done a job for us.

Yeah, but unfortunately that 'job' is running down blind alleys and not looking around to see where his team-mates are. He plays like eight-year-olds play FIFA. Bizarre signing, shocking footballer.

A loan suits everyone, it also means he can't play & score against us!  Given Reading have a Portuguese manager/coach now, who has apparently come out and said he's a fan of Oliveira's, I can see this one happening.

23 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Don't get the hate for Wildschut, always done a job for us.

If by always you mean never then sure.

Trouble is, the fact he's still here, despite interest in him, makes me think that he's happy to sit here and take the money rather than maybe take a pay cut and play football. If that's the case then it's hard to see why anybody would want him. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Looks like the Reading loan move will happen before the weekend. 

Hopefully they are picking up decent amount of his wages. Doubt it would be over a third of it though. 

Wonder if Norwich will use the money saved from this and Marshall for an incoming. 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Trouble is, the fact he's still here, despite interest in him, makes me think that he's happy to sit here and take the money rather than maybe take a pay cut and play football. If that's the case then it's hard to see why anybody would want him. 

i thought he was injured

And it is not as simple as you seem to be making out. He has a contract with us. No one forced us to sign it, not did he refuse to play for us.

The responsibility is ours in both respects.

If he does go and helps Reading stay up then he may have achieved something in English football..... if only for those this side of the border.

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Preparing to have a medical at Reading now apparently.

https://www.pinkun.com/home

The look on Maddison's face in that photo tells it all! 

The club accounts to 30/06/18 wrote off the cost of Olivera's contract as being of no value. That effectively meant that he couldn't play for us again. Which leads me to wonder if we did the same with Jarvis. If so, any contribution from Walsall will mean that we have to pay some extra tax.