Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Bielsa to resign?

15 hours ago, splendidrush said:

No westcoast. What Dave Carolan said is that it's illegal. Coaching can only come from the technical area during play. Watch the Pink Un show he explains it better than me. 

I watched. All I heard was Carolan saying that Leeds-related people who were known to be "coaches" were identified at various points "round the ground". Where were they exactly. In the stands? In among the stewards and photographers around the touchline? There is no rule which says that a coach cannot be seated anywhere other than the dugout. If I remember rightly, in the Lambert days, Culverhouse regularly sat in the directors' box to get a better view. Steve Maclaren pretty much always spends the first half of any game in the directors' box at any club he manages. As I understand it, the rule is that actual coaching, i.e. issuing instructions to players on the pitch during the game, can only be done from the technical area. I didn't hear Dave Carolan say, for example, that when Stoke had a corner, Leeds had a "coach" behind the goal organising the defence, or that "coaches" at various points around the touchline were shouting instructions to players about their positioning or whatever. How exactly do you "coach" from the stands?

As for "the spirit of the game", what spirit is that? The spirit that engages in time wasting, professional fouling, trying to get an opponent sent off, contesting every refereeing decision, trying to hijack other' clubs's transfers, approvingly referring to "having a right to go down", tapping up other club's managers, tapping up players, and so on, and so on. and so on.

The whole thing is just a huge stink of manufactured, holier-than-thou, outrage from people eagerly jumping on high horses.

Edited by westcoastcanary
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Further to my post, have a look at the BBC's desperate attempt to interpret quoted comments from other managers as though they were ridiculing Bielsa rather than them and their media colleagues:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46878655

The one that really shows up the artificiality is the article's description of Graham Potter as "non-plussed" when his actual response is simply a shrug of the shoulders and an implicit "Who cares"?

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

and then actually listen to what Mowbray has said, along with Gerrard, Dyche etc, not just the BBC site

Crabby, that post was specifically about the spin the BBC put on the various quotes from managers cited in the article. What the managers were actually doing, was ridiculing the reaction of the press to Bielsa's press conference.