Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Marshall to Millwall

Not too big a surprise that Ben is off on loan for the rest of the season, but it will mean that we are light in terms of ‘home grown’ players....unless it signifies a possible incoming player?  It may also suggest Ivo is hanging about, as it’d be odd to lose both.

Can cope with Marshall and Ivo both going as Passlack is still around. Godfrey can also play right back. 

Getting a homegrown player who Farke feels he can actually bring off the bench would be a great benefit as Norwich were effectively playing with 6 subs with Marshall there. 

Thompson and Morris nearly fit & could fill a homegrown slot, but I thought one or both might go out on loan.  

20 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Thompson and Morris nearly fit & could fill a homegrown slot, but I thought one or both might go out on loan.  

Thompson was on the bench for the WBA game, so I don't expect him to go out on loan. He'll definitely fill a homegrown slot. Think Morris will probably go back out though, Srbeny has been doing okay when he's come off the bench in recent weeks. Carlton needs regular football to build up confidence and match fitness.

Shame it hasn't worked out for him. With our finances being what they are, £1.5m is a lot to waste on a player you don't want. But we should hopefully be able to make a sizeable amount of that back in the summer.

To be fair to Webber, the vast majority of his 2018 summer signings have been a success.

Probably will help nick a few points off our rivals than he would help us pick up a few points

And if he helps Millwall increase their lead over the binners then that is  bonus

I wonder who else will go out on a loan ?

He's under contract until June 2022, so if he proves himself again at Millwall we can sell and at least get our £1.5m back, or maybe we keep him as a squad member for next year in the PL when Srbeny is leading our line? 😎

1 hour ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

A mystery to me why we ever signed Ben Marshall; a gifted left winger who can swing-in wonderful airborne crosses to the big striker Norwich do not have...

Well, a right winger. Who provided a lot of assists to a certain Jordan Rhodes when they were at Blackburn together. 

• Like 1

When he got his chance against Portsmouth he didn't show much desire at all in my opinion. He was played out of position to some extent, but still I was expecting more from him. Poor signing.

Suspect he's gone to help pay Oliveira's wages who unfortunately doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

Out of position to some extent? Right wing to left back, big difference there for me.

Yes, he looked somewhat off the pace to begin with but I’m hopeful he’ll come good.

I actually thought he had a good game on opening day at Brum, but hasn't shown much since. Given the significant outlay of £1.5m and the fact he's a homegrown player with proven experience at this level who can play more than one position, I guess it must be something to do with his attitude and/or performances in training that has caused him to be frozen out so categorically. Otherwise you'd at least expect him to be making the bench regularly.

I thought he struggled a bit against Brum FTW and was surprised to hear he had played their with some success for Millwall.

30 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I thought he struggled a bit against Brum FTW and was surprised to hear he had played their with some success for Millwall.

Faded a bit in the second half, but in the first half I thought he was their best player. But he's clearly not playing to his potential, so probably best for all parties to cut our losses.

6 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

That will upset the binners 

My first thought CK 👍 I'm sure he would have had more game time if it weren't for the emergence of Aarons, no one was predicting that. 

I agree he was good v Birmingham, very different type of player to most that Farke used though.

I do worry by moving on someone like him we'll become increasingly one dimensional in our tactical approach.

31 minutes ago, king canary said:

I agree he was good v Birmingham, very different type of player to most that Farke used though.

I do worry by moving on someone like him we'll become increasingly one dimensional in our tactical approach.

I was disappointed with Marshall against against Birmingham. His free kick was tame in the extreme and although he got forwards a few times, he didn't look the kind of player I thought he was going to be.  At Millwall he was the main man, but with the quality we've got in the squad he needed to hit the ground running for us and imo he didn't do that enough, not only against Birmingham, but in the next few games he played in. 

As for being one dimensional.....nothing wrong with that if the dimension you play with is unplayable against, which at it's best, is.

If we can get our money back through a transfer at the end of the season then all is not lost. Doesn't suit out style of play and needs to be a hell of a lot more mobile. And nowhere near good enough for the Prem should we get there, but then we can say that against most of the squad.