Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Gary Karsa Interview

Some really interesting insight into the Lambert years here. Barely mentions Paul actually and moves on pretty swiftly when questioned directly (wonder why!) but very complimentary about Culverhouse, the fans, owners and the players of that era.

https://youtu.be/6NyeWzH6f84

Seems like a really nice guy and was sad to leave.

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Nice to hear how he saw it.

any chance of those quotes of mine you have been studiously collecting being posted up ?

just pop over to the relevant thread

ta 😊

• Like 1

Yeah, I  noticed that he 'brushed over ' his relationship with PL, you were almost hoping he'd say something, kind of waiting for it to happen... apparently he's agreed to come back at a later date. We live in hope. 

10 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Nice to hear how he saw it.

any chance of those quotes of mine you have been studiously collecting being posted up ?

just pop over to the relevant thread

ta 😊

Love to, but I no longer use that thread, due to all the childish name calling

Worth taking what Karsa says with a pinch of salt. 

He was sacked from Villa due to bullying young players and other staff memebers. Paul Lambert supported removing him due to the behaviour reported in an internal investigation. Ian Culverhouse was also sacked for this reason. 

There is quite a lot of bad blood between Lambert and Karsa/Culverhouse. 

The interviewers try to make out that Karsa’s role was similar to Webber, but the fundamental difference is that Karsa reported to Lambert whereas Farke reports to Webber. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Worth taking what Karsa says with a pinch of salt. 

He was sacked from Villa due to bullying young players and other staff memebers. Paul Lambert supported removing him due to the behaviour reported in an internal investigation. Ian Culverhouse was also sacked for this reason. 

There is quite a lot of bad blood between Lambert and Karsa/Culverhouse. 

The interviewers try to make out that Karsa’s role was similar to Webber, but the fundamental difference is that Karsa reported to Lambert whereas Farke reports to Webber. 

Smacks a little of Lambert blaming others when things start to go wrong.  Saved his own neck....for a while at least. 

8 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Smacks a little of Lambert blaming others when things start to go wrong.  Saved his own neck....for a while at least. 

A youth player’s parents complain to the club about a bullying culture at Villa, this lead to an internal investigation, which found that Karsa and Culverhouse were part of this culture and recommended they were dismissed .

It would be an incredibley elaborate way for Lambert to remove two guys he could just sack as they both reported to him.

To my knowledge neither Culverhouse or Karsa ever contested the results of the inquiry or made any claims of wrongful dismissal. Which you would expect if it was a case of Lambert ‘protecting his own neck’.

Or was it a 'snowflake' who didn't like their kid being ordered round? Was it a a case of Karsa and Culverhouse seeing the future, and happy to get out of Villa, and away from Lambert. Villa would prefer to keep Lambert and get rid of their manager's people, (both whom he had fell out with?) Both Gary and Ian were well paid off, with a promise that the inner sanctum of football would know the real reasons for leaving. If it was that bad, why have they got jobs in football again?

Caveat: I have no idea what the accusations were, so only going on what has been written here.

29 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Or was it a 'snowflake' who didn't like their kid being ordered round? Was it a a case of Karsa and Culverhouse seeing the future, and happy to get out of Villa, and away from Lambert. Villa would prefer to keep Lambert and get rid of their manager's people, (both whom he had fell out with?) Both Gary and Ian were well paid off, with a promise that the inner sanctum of football would know the real reasons for leaving. If it was that bad, why have they got jobs in football again?

Caveat: I have no idea what the accusations were, so only going on what has been written here.

I highly doubt an internal investigation would have led to the sacking of two high profile members of staff for Villa if it was just someone who didn't like being ordered around.

Equally I doubt the best exit for Culverhouse and Karsa would have been being sacked in a high profile bullying scandal. 

Also Culverhouse has had to drop all the way down to non-league to find work since.

It was more to do with Lambert looking for a (any) reason to get rid of them? It could well have been 'bullying' or it could have been 'discipline' that Karsa and Culverhouse were doing. Were both of them doing the same actions, in the course of their work, so attracting the same criticism/investigation? Villa were a basket case of a Club at the time, so pressure can do funny thing to people.

Karsa and Culverhouse’s ‘bullying style’ certainly didn’t seem to do us any harm.

Great interview, cheers, and very noticeable how he always talked about Ian, and not Paul.

Interestingly Keith Webb was on the Pink Un show last night, and when discussed a similar topic when asked a question about safeguarding. Said that he was now embarrassed looking back on some of the things he done to try and toughen players up.

The version I'd heard from Villa fans was that Gabby Agbonlahor, the club's self-styled "Mr Villa" had a bit of an argument with Culverhouse and Karsa, and there was only going to be one winner.

Whilst it was an interesting interview the question remains as to why someone with no current interest in NCFC, someone who to my knowledge has shown little to no interest in NCFC since leaving and to my knowledge had no affiliation to NCFC prior to being employed would travel to Norwich to do an interview for a relatively low key vlog.

Also when he was here a theme of posts was “what does he do?”.

Edited by Sussexyellow
To add postscript

1 hour ago, Sussexyellow said:

Whilst it was an interesting interview the question remains as to why someone with no current interest in NCFC, someone who to my knowledge has shown little to no interest in NCFC since leaving and to my knowledge had no affiliation to NCFC prior to being employed would travel to Norwich to do an interview for a relatively low key vlog.

Regardless, I found it very interesting...

1 hour ago, Sussexyellow said:

To answer the first question: because his time at Norwich was the most successful and probably most exciting of his career, so is important to him, and us. And because it’s unlikely to do his profile - i.e. his employability - any harm.

On the second point: I think that demonstrates a lack of understanding on the part of posters on here rather than suggesting that he didn’t do much.

On 17/01/2019 at 23:20, Nuff Said said:

To answer the first question: because his time at Norwich was the most successful and probably most exciting of his career, so is important to him, and us. And because it’s unlikely to do his profile - i.e. his employability - any harm.

On the second point: I think that demonstrates a lack of understanding on the part of posters on here rather than suggesting that he didn’t do much.

Hmm. I do not think doing an interview on a low volume minority interest vlog is exactly getting your CV out there. 

And if his time at Norwich was the most successful period of his career, which it quite possibly is, then at least tell it as it is. To mention Culverhouse several times and not Lambert until specifically asked and then to say he was just front of house is disingenuous at best.

If as speculated they have subsequently fallen out in a big way then that is unfortunate but not reason to downgrade the role of the key man who took the club on such an incredible journey.

On the second point fair enough but it also reflects that Karsa’s role was not effectively communicated to the support. I would expect that he earned his corn.