Sign in to follow this  
unique

Wagner leaves Huddersfield

Astonishing really, considering that the enormity of getting them promoted to the PL.

Surely they weren’t expecting an overlong stay in the top league?

Not sure Farke would want to go to a club near certain for relegation, leaving a club with a real chance of promotion.

( Unless he’s off his head ).

Was wondering if it was like the Hughton situation here where outsider fans all thought we were mad for turning on him but looking at the comments from Town fans a lot wanted to keep him even if they went down.

Can't imagine it'll take him long to get another, bigger, Premier League/Bundesliga job.

Did he leave or was he sacked? Who is the DoF there? And are Huddersfield looking to change their management structure?... so many questions on this one. 

Tell you what, having watched Huddersfield get through the play-offs, I thought they were pretty dire & if we managed to get to the PL we'd make a much better fist of it!

They were promoted from ‘5th’.

They scored just 28 goals last season, but Wagner kept them up.

The owners should accept that they have had two seasons of unbelievable overachievement, and that Wagner is probably best placed to try all over again next season.

Interesting that last season the view on here was that Wagner was responsible for 'Udder's success and it was nothing to do with Webber who they were quite happy to see leave and come here...

Whoever replaced Webber now has to recruit his own man. Interesting...

Apparently a mutual decsion. Huddersfield’s chairmen’s statement has said they had no intention of sacking him but Wagner made it clear he needs a break from football 

Huddersfield brought in David Moss from Celtic (who also interviewed for the Norwich Sporting Director job) after Webber left. He was sacked after 5 months and Olaf Rebbe was brought in from Germany to replace him. 

Webber and Wagner hit upon a good partnership, whether they would have done better in the Premier League is impossible to say. It is clear than Wagner was pretty angry that Webber left. 

It seems that Wagner was planning on leaving Huddersfield whatever happened at the end of the season, looks like that was brought forward by both the club and manager. It is pretty clear Huddersfield are going down and I guess Wagner didn’t want that on his CV (along with the next 5 months of losses). I expect he’ll pop up next summer somewhere in England/Germany or even the US. He is clearly a talented manager but onto an impossible job at Huddersfield. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

52 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Interesting that last season the view on here was that Wagner was responsible for 'Udder's success and it was nothing to do with Webber who they were quite happy to see leave and come here...

Whoever replaced Webber now has to recruit his own man. Interesting...

That was my first thought also- the narrative has changed somewhat.

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

He wanted a break from the pressure of football management ! 

I don’t blame him, a two week summer holiday is probably all he’s had for the last three years

....at the foot of the table.

If Huddersfield were three places higher he would still be there...

Not a great surprise. He can't go any further with them. And they are finding it harder to find success with their brand of football against better players.

Nobody to blame except a few unhappy Terriers who can't see the wood for the trees.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not a great surprise. He can't go any further with them. And they are finding it harder to find success with their brand of football against better players.

Nobody to blame except a few unhappy Terriers who can't see the wood for the trees.

For obvious reasons, Huddersfield's brand of football is not that far away from ours.

Not sure if you would be so complacent with the 'fans, can't see the wood through the trees' comment in the event that we got promoted and found ourselves in the same situation.   

Getting promoted was huge for Huddersfield, it was always going to be a struggle to stay up with their budget, regardless of the style of football. 

If we do go up and start to struggle then Farke might do the same.

These managers are foreigners and when under pressure in England must long to be back home in Germany where they have their roots, where they have family and friends are  respected and could walk into decent job.

Edited by BroadstairsR

15 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Would they go for Farke ?

I don't think this would be an issue for us to even start concerning ourselves with!

Webber recruited Wagner when at Huddersfield, left eventually, came to us and then recruited Farke. Essentailly following the same kind of recruitment path. The boss would have to be mad to even want to consider a job which would see him under intense pressure to keep Huddersfield up.

On your point, Broadstairs... We often hear that coaches want to test themselves at the best level they possibly can and for Farke to come to England and the Champs was quite a big leap. Same for Wagner I would imagine. I appreciate that the pressure may not be quite as bad in Germany as it is here, without as much intense media speculation etc. Oh, and of course they get a nice winter break. But the point is... How are you going to improve yourself by playing it safe? My thoughts are that these kinds of coaches want to be here and I think they have both done brilliant jobs so far.

Here's the odds from Paddy power

Sam Allardyce 4/1

Christoph Buhle 7/1

Carlos Carvalha 7/1

David Moyes 9/1

Alan Pardew 10/1

Daniel Farke 12/1

Chris Coleman 14/1

Aidy Boothroyd 16/1

Tony Pulis 20/1

Mark Warburton 20/1

Nigel Pearson 20/1

Gary Rowett 20/1

Nigel Adkins 25/1

Would any single one of them contemplate Huddersfield?

Doubt Farke would.

Perhaps Alladyce as he wallows in that kind of challenge.

I think Huddersfield probably know they are going down and will look for another young manager rather than a firefighter like Allerdyce.

For obvious reasons, Huddersfield's brand of football is not that far away from ours.

Not sure if you would be so complacent with the 'fans, can't see the wood through the trees' comment in the event that we got promoted and found ourselves in the same situation. 

If we find ourselves promoted, I would be well aware of our desperate need not to end up in the situation where we have players still getting an earner out of us and have no intention of playing for us. And others who cost a great deal and are on loan.

I would totally understand if we spent very little and ended up as fodder for the top Prem teams. Peoples desire for us to be there may well cause them to expect marquee signings. But history tells us it hasn't worked in the past. And the emergence of four academy players this season has kept other signings out the team.

Sunderland had 47000 on Boxing Day in L1. It is because they are doing well and winning. It doesn't matter what league, the supporters were seeing their team winning. And they took 8500 to Blackpool.

Huddersfield fans may or may not be bellyaching but if they are then they should face up to reality. Fulham spent £100M and are just above them. Like it or not, the chances of clubs like ours of remaining in the Prem are low. Just enjoy the promotion season and be realistic enough to accept it is likely the next one will bring heartache.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Huddesfield go for an interim manager for the rest of the season and the bring in someone permanently in the summer. 

If they want to continue the play style they had under Wagner then Farke won’t be on the list as he is a very different type of manager. I suspect the guy at Barnsley might be on their list as he is very committed to the high press style that Wanger brought to Huddesfield. 

They have a German Sporting Director so Germany seems an obvious location they might look. I’m sure Farke will be someone they take a look at, especially with the contract situation seemingly unresolved, but I doubt that would happen now. If Norwich don’t get promoted it would be a risk. 

"I would totally understand if we spent very little and ended up as fodder for the top Prem teams. Peoples desire for us to be there may well cause them to expect marquee signings. But history tells us it hasn't worked in the past. And the emergence of four academy players this season has kept other signings out the team."

True,  does anyone want to see us start spending fortunes, fees and wages, on so called stars who fail  eg. RWV, Naismith, Fer and even Windshutt. Any more I cannot recall?

Even if we bounce back it will relieve the finances. Full houses, TV money and parachutes and we could still have a very competitive squad and hopefully  the same manager.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Huddersfield in PL were pale imitations of Champs performance,  But miracle to keep them up if relegated most likely Wagner could have worked magic again.  Falling on his sword was either brave man of honour or selfish move not relegation on  my watch.

Who is going to want to be new manager not Fat Sam (never relegated) perhaps a failed continental/ South American but no respecting manager would endure 5 months of failure with relegation at end.  Call for Phil Brown.