Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Jordan Rhodes

There seems to be some confusion about his status here. I've read it was a season long with no recall clause, but now a few articles have appeared saying Bruce might recall him.

Anyone out there know the truth?

No recall chance according to Farke in one of his press conferences. 

Even if there was a clause in the contract the FFP stuff happening at Wednesday would make it pretty much impossible. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

7-3ovioA_bigger.jpgMichael BaileyVerified account @michaeljbailey
FollowingFollowing @michaeljbailey
More

Michael Bailey Retweeted Hughie Jamieson

Think there is a recall this month, but only for Sheffield Wednesday to sell him - not to play him. Complicated old deal, but it seems a stretch to think he won't be here for the rest of the season. Plus I'm sure Jordan himself would have to agree to return. #ncfc

Michael Bailey added,

Hughie Jamieson @hughiejamieson
@michaeljbailey is there the terrifying prospect of new Sheff Wednesday manager Steve Bruce recalling Jordan Rhodes? Or is there no recall clause in his contract?

In interview on Saturday on Canary Call JR said he didn't believe there was a recall by Wednesday.

It was hairs on the back of your neck stuff watching him celebrate the goal, and then turn back around as he headed to the centre circle, to make a big display of patting the badge. The look on his face said he meant it too, none of this badge kissing to keep up appearances.

The lad wants to be here. I'd love it if we could get him permanently in the summer (only for a reasonable price). He is a great influence in the dressing room, and one of the most selfless strikers I've ever seen. He truly does put the club's well being over his own individual accomplishments - he's shown that a number of times when brought on as sub when we're winning and he will bust a gut to take the ball to the corner and keep it there, when a run at goal was on the cards. He's happy with being a squad player and really epitomises the "one for all" mentality.

I would be very surprised if we couldn't agree terms with him. He clearly wants to be back in the area, loves being part of the club and is truly "one of us". I'm sure I read somewhere that he engineered the move to come here to some extent as he wanted to be back in East Anglia. I genuinely think he'd take a sizeable wage cut to stay over more money at a different club. It's the fee Sheff Weds will want that may be the stumbling block here.

Edited by kick it off

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

It was hairs on the back of your neck stuff watching him celebrate the goal, and then turn back around as he headed to the centre circle, to make a big display of patting the badge. The look on his face said he meant it too, none of this badge kissing to keep up appearances.

The lad wants to be here. I'd love it if we could get him permanently in the summer (only for a reasonable price). He is a great influence in the dressing room, and one of the most selfless strikers I've ever seen. He truly does put the club's well being over his own individual accomplishments - he's shown that a number of times when brought on as sub when we're winning and he will bust a gut to take the ball to the corner and keep it there, when a run at goal was on the cards. He's happy with being a squad player and really epitomises the "one for all" mentality.

I would be very surprised if we couldn't agree terms with him. He clearly wants to be back in the area, loves being part of the club and is truly "one of us". I'm sure I read somewhere that he engineered the move to come here to some extent as he wanted to be back in East Anglia. I genuinely think he'd take a sizeable wage cut to stay over more money at a different club. It's the fee Sheff Weds will want that may be the stumbling block here.

Christ almighty, have you sent him flowers and a letter written in purple ink? 🤣

During the floodlight episode at the Derby game Jordan was doing a warm up and a chat with a couple of people in the snake pit. The crowd suddenly burst into a rendition of ‘ sign him on sign him on sign him on ‘ to which Jordan raised his arms with the bring it on motion.

Seems like a man who has found what was missing in his life.

Hard to see him signing permanently; he’s on a big deal at Sheff W (reportedly around the £30k - £40k a week region up until 2021). 

Norwich could only really afford that if they got promoted and to be honest, if Norwich did get promoted I’d like them to spend that kind of money on someone better than Jordan Rhodes. 

I really like him as a player and he is great off the bench to make an impact, but not sure Norwich should make such a big financial commitment to a 2nd choice striker, especially one who is only going to go down in value. 

I agree with that, BYG. I can't see him staying past his loan deal in all honesty. We may be able to buy him at a knockdown price but, as you've said, the wages would be a stumbling block for someone who is really only going to be a squad player. He didn't pull up any trees last time in the Prem either. Not saying that this would be the case now, with a highly motivated Rhodes who wants to be at the club, but I imagine we'd look to sign a younger striker (a prospect if you will) from overseas.

It's a shame, as he clearly loves it here and I'd love to have him on board, but even with Prem riches I can't see us signing him permanently.

Edited by BobLoz3

I agree with the above and highly unlikely however Tettey, Pukki and Zimmermann when first signed, have all for whatever reason decided to sign on reduced salaries. One assumes that footballers like Jordan Rhodes are set for life with other financial interests. There comes a time one would think when you actually just want to settle for you and your family, maybe he has seen this as his time.

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I agree with the above and highly unlikely however Tettey, Pukki and Zimmermann when first signed, have all for whatever reason decided to sign on reduced salaries. One assumes that footballers like Jordan Rhodes are set for life with other financial interests. There comes a time one would think when you actually just want to settle for you and your family, maybe he has seen this as his time.

Yes I think he's one of those players who just may be prepared to take the drop in wages. It all then depends how much Wednesday want for him.

One thing in his favour is that he doesn't rely on pace, but guile & intelligence, so he should be able to have a longer career. Who knows, perhaps he could become our Teddy Sheringham!

35 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Eh?

Tettey signed new contract that wasn’t at the level of his previous one, that is true, but it was still the largest contract available to him. The stuff about loving Norwich and family etc was a little bit of a smoke screen for a player who wanted to leave only for no one to offer him the salary he was hoping for. 

Pukki and Zimmermann would have both got pay rises signing for Norwich. The German 3rd divisional and Danish League both pay less than the Championship. 

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Eh?

Tettey signed new contract that wasn’t at the level of his previous one, that is true, but it was still the largest contract available to him. The stuff about loving Norwich and family etc was a little bit of a smoke screen for a player who wanted to leave only for no one to offer him the salary he was hoping for. 

Pukki and Zimmermann would have both got pay rises signing for Norwich. The German 3rd divisional and Danish League both pay less than the Championship. 

I think Pukki said he was offered more money elsewhere.

Agree about Zimmerman though- not sure why anyone would think he took a paycut to come here?

I reckon it was genuine, although I doubt he'd have been offered a shed load more than what Norwich are paying him. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a substantial bonus/pay rise for promotion.